ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: How do you fill your tank with gas?
I put my ST up on its centerstand. 39 42.86%
I put my ST on its sidestand. 53 58.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 20th, 2010   #41
na1g

Default Re: Gas fillups - side stand or centerstand?

Joe, I think the correct answer is "C", all of the above. After the top tank is empty the ECU is guesstimating fuel consumption/mileage. There isn't a mechanical fuel sender in the lower tank. The ECU is pretty good at metering fuel output digitally but it does not measure actual fuel left in the lower tank. There has to be some inaccuracy there. I love it when the miles-remaining number actually goes UP while I'm riding. I also wonder what happens if you were to ride very conservatively for half of the lower tank's fuel, then very aggessively. My guess is you'd run out of fuel before the miles-remaining got down to zero. Seems I've heard of folks running out of gas just that way.

Since I really don't want the hassle of running out of gas, I always try to fillup before the dreaded flashing bars appear. I did get down to 9 miles remaining once and had to gas-up with regular from a real grease-pit independent station. No harm, no foul but that's not a good habit to get into.

pete
na1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010   #42
bygdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post

I doubt I'll ever be adventurous as some of you who wait till you have .001 miles to go before filling up.
Speaking of adventure...Let me tell you about the time I coasted off the interstate exit to a gas station. That was close to being more embarrassing than adventuresome. lol
bygdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010   #43
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Are you sure about that, Pete.

Looking at the online fiche lists from Hondaline Direct, it shows the fuel pump as being in the lower tank and I would think that the mechanical fuel sending unit would be on it.

On the old ST1100, we used to just bend the arm on the pump till it was lower in the tank, allowing it to pick up more fuel.

I haven't checked this on the ST1300 to see if we could do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by na1g View Post
Joe, I think the correct answer is "C", all of the above. After the top tank is empty the ECU is guesstimating fuel consumption/mileage. There isn't a mechanical fuel sender in the lower tank. The ECU is pretty good at metering fuel output digitally but it does not measure actual fuel left in the lower tank. There has to be some inaccuracy there. I love it when the miles-remaining number actually goes UP while I'm riding. I also wonder what happens if you were to ride very conservatively for half of the lower tank's fuel, then very aggessively. My guess is you'd run out of fuel before the miles-remaining got down to zero. Seems I've heard of folks running out of gas just that way.

Since I really don't want the hassle of running out of gas, I always try to fillup before the dreaded flashing bars appear. I did get down to 9 miles remaining once and had to gas-up with regular from a real grease-pit independent station. No harm, no foul but that's not a good habit to get into.

pete
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010   #44
TimM

I opt for option None of the above ;-)

My math gets me this:
35 miles to go divided by 35mpg = 1 gallon , not 0.1 gallon.

6.5 + 1 = 7.5 gallon capacity (apprx).

The real question is if CS allows more fuel than SS. I doubt there's a significant difference. But if someone wants to prove it, do this test:

1) place bike on CS (level surface).
2) fill the tank full, with fuel to the filler ring (no air gaps).
3) push on cap.
4) dismount, move bike to SS (same level surface).
5) wait a few seconds for sloshing to stop, open cap.

There might be a little fuel expansion, so some loss is expected and has nothing to do with CS/SS, but if you get a pint of fuel over the bike you know using the CS will give you an extra FOUR minutes of ride time between fill ups.

And I'm pretty confident the difference isn't even a pint.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010   #45
TimM

I've never coasted into a gas station, but did have the bike die at the stop light coming off the freeway; had to tip the bike to get enough gas to ride into the station that was diagonal from where the bike died.
Old January 20th, 2010   #46
Paul

The upper tank uses a float system to register fuel level. There is some fuel remaining in the top tank once the float stops reading because it has hit the bottom of it's travel.
The lower tank uses a sensor to trigger the warning flasher once the fuel level drops to expose it to air.

At 2 bars on the gauge there is still some fuel in the top tank. At the signal from the sensor in the lower tank 1 bar will read on the gauge. You have 1.32 gallon remaining.
From this point on your gauge is estimating the remaining range based on your average MPG for the past 20 minutes. There are no more sensors reading fuel level you have 1.32 gallons on-board how far you go is strictly based on your throttle control and the computers best guess after studying your throttle control for the past 20 minutes.

Keep in mind the fuel tanks stated capacity is a mathematical calculation based on it dimensions. The fuel pump/filter/float assembly will take up some of the capacity so you will not get the full 7.66 or 29 liters in the tank. Keep in mind you are also going by a measurement on a pump controlled be a overworked understaffed state government department (Agriculture) that is working within a margin of error level for certifying the pump. If you are only getting 7.3 gal. in your good.
BTW overfilling can damage the evap can. States with marginal air quality and in financial distress are looking at emissions testing for motorcycles. It will be a contest between the left coast and Texas as to the first to sniff your exhaust but you can bet we will see testing in the very near future.

Paul
Old January 20th, 2010   #47
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Silly me.

But, your test would be kind of messy, wouldn't it? I think starting on the SS, filling, then putting it up on the CS, and put some more in would be less messy and more accurate as you could then see how much more you could put in.

But, that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I opt for option None of the above ;-)

My math gets me this:
35 miles to go divided by 35mpg = 1 gallon , not 0.1 gallon.

6.5 + 1 = 7.5 gallon capacity (apprx).

The real question is if CS allows more fuel than SS. I doubt there's a significant difference. But if someone wants to prove it, do this test:

1) place bike on CS (level surface).
2) fill the tank full, with fuel to the filler ring (no air gaps).
3) push on cap.
4) dismount, move bike to SS (same level surface).
5) wait a few seconds for sloshing to stop, open cap.

There might be a little fuel expansion, so some loss is expected and has nothing to do with CS/SS, but if you get a pint of fuel over the bike you know using the CS will give you an extra FOUR minutes of ride time between fill ups.

And I'm pretty confident the difference isn't even a pint.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010   #48
TimM

The mess was intentional --- in an evil sort of way.

Old January 21st, 2010   #49
rodm850g

Talking Re: Gas fillups - side stand or centerstand?

Guys,
I'm in on another one late as per norm....I however fill up with the stand down and sitting on the bike.....I have been riding this bike since June of 04 and have yet to overfill to the extent gas ran down the tank into my lap......I try hard to keep an eye on the fillup...as the stuff costs too much to spill...
Heck do it like you want to....Kustin Wilson AKA the "Cajun Cook" says drink the kinda wine you like.....so fill your bikes the way you want to....use your strength....side stand or just sit there...like an old lazy fart like me.....
Rodm850g
Old January 21st, 2010   #50
Zuhanrolo
Donators

I usually put it on the center stand for the extra sip or two of fuel. I'm not sure there really is any advantage. Think I'll make life easier and switch for the side stand. I've come close to empty before and now just pull over with fuel to spare. -Ed
Zuhanrolo is offline   Reply With Quote