ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic If it is not ST1300 related, put it here.

Old October 3rd, 2017   #1
chaissos
Donators

Default Accident and replacement

I didn't share this with anyone here, but after a couple weeks, thought I would.

Since May of 2004 I've been driving (and abusing) my 2004 4Runner. The thing ran like a champ. I never had problems that weren't expected, it never let me down. Every 5K miles, I spent an entire day in the garage with it, going over everything, making sure she was running well, and fixing whatever needed to be fixed - which was very little. Compression and leak down tests were the same at 220K (the last time I tested it) as it was at 30K (the first time I tested). Mileage changed very little or not at all over the last 13 years.

On 21 Sept 17, @ about 6:15PM, less than 2 miles from the house, a young girl (16, black car in the pics), new driver, very distracted (I didn't go in on her to find out why), blew through a red light at about 45 and slammed into the passenger front corner of the truck. I saw "something" out of the corner of my eye that didn't feel right, and was hard on the brakes, ABS doing its job, when we impacted. That's possibly why that front corner was hurt as bad as it was. Front wheel was pushed back into the firewall, suspension destroyed, front axle half-shaft broken, fluids leaking.

After the impacts, we slid to a stop, over the median, and impacted a third car (the red one), I took out the traffic sign, which bounced and put a small dent in the bottom of the passenger door, drivers side of the red pickup. That guy (in the red shirt) was an ass. Acting like she hurt his truck on purpose. I just wanted to slap him. That's why we call them "accidents". I'm sure she didn't do this on purpose - which he apparently thought she did.

She (the truck) gave up everything to save me. Two impacts with the car (front corner, then the backs slammed together) and the side airbags went off. The body was hit hard enough to tweak it and break the windshield. All the interior cubby's popped open and a couple even won't close properly. Based on damage at the scene, I determined it was a write-off - the insurance company agrees.

I managed 263,727 miles without incident, which is pretty darned good, I think. I was going for 500K - and it would have done it, too.

I miss my truck. And don't give me any crap about it being an SUV, either. It's the same drive train and frame as the Tacoma, which I think most would agree is actually a truck. Mine just has a full-time solid shell built in.

Personally, my damage is a bunch of bruises internally on my left wrist, and a small one on my lower right leg. That's it, but the wrist is really bugging me. I can't even lift a coffee cup. I can pull straight up on most things (like carry bags from stores), so it's the angle at which I pick things up my wrist won't take. I'll heal in time - I hope.

I searched and searched for a similar replacement. Seems like every time a replacement popped up, it was gone within a few hours. Every one I checked came back as sold - which is frustrating. After searching, and being frustrated, and needing another vehicle, I finally went to the dealer, gave them my exact requirements, and bought a new 4Runner. It's the same model, with the same factory options as the old one, plus all the new tech inside - which I don't really care about, but I am enjoying.

I'm ready for another 500K miles. Or another distracted driver. Whichever comes first. I'm hoping it's the 500K mark. That's 2 accidents (for those that remember) here in San Antonio in the last few years, and I don't care to have any more.

So, Red, next time I roll up, you won't see the same old truck. I now have a (more or less) exact replacement that's 13 years newer.

Last edited by chaissos; October 3rd, 2017 at 05:31 AM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017   #2
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: Accident and replacement

Those Toyotas really hold up don't they? That is all I will let my family drive. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse and you have a new truck!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017   #3
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Because I don't like to be told what to do...

That's not a truck. That's an SUV!

Okay, that meanness out of the way... I am sorry about your truck. I know you took good care of it and I know you were proud of its reliability.

I really like the look of the new 4Runner. That has to be one of the best choices on the market today.

So how bad is your wrist? Can you ride your ST?

You should have asked Mad Red Ford Guy why he was so angry. This question always works: "Sir, are you mad because your boyfriend just gave you that pink Ford for your birthday?" Be prepared though. Some folks are just not as tolerant as we are.
Old October 3rd, 2017   #4
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I know you took good care of it and I know you were proud of its reliability.

I really like the look of the new 4Runner. That has to be one of the best choices on the market today.
I did, and it was. Very. Up until the wreck, I'd hop in it and drive cross-country without a second thought - and I did, many times, as you know.

So far, I like the new one, too. There are a bunch of things it can do, half of which are turned off in the computers. I'm pretty irritated I have to take it to the dealer and tell them what I want turned on and off. I'm on the hunt for software and the necessary cabling so I an handle it myself. I just hope it doesn't cost too much.

The model I have is the limited. Every other model has the teardrop looking front-end, which I think just looks sad. True to their training, the salesmen (and sales-women - several of them) told me it looks aggressive. I told them I disagreed - it looks like it's unhappy, and someone need to pet it and make it feel better. I think this one looks much better. I don't want to drive something I don't like the look of.
Quote:
So how bad is your wrist? Can you ride your ST?
No, not yet. It's pretty much killing me. Lifting my ritualistic cup of coffee as I sit and read forums and e-mail in the morning is extremely difficult...and painful. I have to use my right hand or everything, which doesn't feel right. I was supposed to be left-handed, but my Mom changed that by continually putting things in my right hand. Now I can't write worth a damn with either hand, but there you go.
Quote:
You should have asked Mad Red Ford Guy why he was so angry. This question always works: "Sir, are you mad because your boyfriend just gave you that pink Ford for your birthday?" Be prepared though. Some folks are just not as tolerant as we are.
He was already pissed off. I was busy getting everything in the truck in one place, so I just let it go. Strange for me, I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Those Toyotas really hold up don't they? That is all I will let my family drive. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse and you have a new truck!
They do, if you keep up on the maintenance. As I said, every 5K, I brought her into the garage, and spent all day making sure everything was right. Not everyone is going to do that, but I do - with my and the wife's vehicles. I want her to be safe, regardless of what's coming. I can't protect her against everything that might come, but a car breaking down, I can surely have a big impact in. I also don't want to get stuck someplace down the road. my trips (mostly to Florida) are about 1100 miles one way. I do them in one shot, about 15 hours. I can't afford to get stuck in the middle.

Now, having said all that, with the reliability and newer construction of just about any vehicle made today, they can all do that. I just prefer the 4Runner.

I know what I want, and will only accept that. So I have a new one. You enjoy whatever you drive - I'll not diss anything you choose to drive. Just take care of it.

Last edited by chaissos; October 3rd, 2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old October 5th, 2017   #5
echo
The sky is falling...

Do you change the oil in your Toyota is every 5000 miles? That's what I do now but are used to change it every four months years ago, then every three months.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017   #6
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for your loss and happy for your gain.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017   #7
chaissos
Donators

Thanks, @ligito. I'm happy enough with the new one. I must admit, though, every thing I can do with the tech buried in it I could do in the old one. Need to make a phone call? Easy...I have a bluetooth headset. Need guidance? I have a GPS. Need warm seats? Wait 3 minutes. Need cooled seats? Start it and wait a sec. MP3 tunes? Cassette adapter. Nothing was quite as perfect as it is in the new one, but it all worked. Heck, I'm even capable of rolling down the windows by hand. However, I got the one I did because of the look. I couldn't see myself driving one that looked sad. You (and others) may disagree, but you're not driving it.

@Echo, yes, every 5K miles. Pretty much like a religion. That's what the book calls for, and that's what I did. That's also the recommended mileage for tire rotation. I got 80K out of every set of tires I put on the thing.

Could I have gone further? Almost certainly, yes. Did I bother getting the oil tested? Nope. Would I do it differently now? No. I follow the maintenance schedules on all my vehicles, be they truck, car, bike, waverunner or lawnmower. I have a bunch of things with a bunch of miles (or hours) on them, and they all just keep on truckin'. To me, nothing speaks of longevity like that. Simple maintenance.

Those who spend the least on maintenance, spend the most on repairs.

I spent almost nothing on repairs in 13 years. I plan to do the same with the replacement.

Last edited by chaissos; October 5th, 2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old October 5th, 2017   #8
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post

Those who spend the least on maintenance, spend the most on repairs.

I spent almost nothing on repairs in 13 years. I plan to do the same with the replacement.
Obviously your wife needs a BMW automobile. Then we will see!

I agree with you about the look of a vehicle. I have been drawn to some things that were "so ugly it's cute" but by and large I like a nice looking vehicle.

Every single day I ride or drive to work as I walk away I turn to look back. When I am not happy with the look of whatever brought me there that day, it sours my mood. My GMC and my FJR always make me happy. My BMW R1150R...not so much.
Old October 6th, 2017   #9
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Sorry about your accident and glad you weren't hurt worse. Are the new Four Runners still body-on-frame design?

With respect to accessing the settings in the various computers, there's software out there with an OBD II plug for Windows based computers called TechStream. I bought a disk and cable for I think about $35 on ebay and was able to change the way the door locks worked on the wife's Rav4. You can also add additional keys, adjust the computer to accept a replacement key and sync now TPMS sensors among other things, using Techstream.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-VCI-Dia...sAAOSwq9NZxth9

I know what you mean about Toyota longevity. I had an '84 X-tra Cab pick up that I drove for 18 years and 285,000+ miles. only had to replace a clutch and a transmission input shaft bearing while I owned it, but I think both were due to teaching three kids to drive a manual (my neck will never be the same).

I finally got the bug for something new and sold it in 2002, still running fine, but beginning to use oil (probably as a result of running a K&N filter in it for years). I'm wiser now. Living on the coast with the salty air, rust was slowly eating away the body too.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net

Last edited by Wjbertrand; October 6th, 2017 at 02:14 PM.
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017   #10
chaissos
Donators

Yep, still body on frame. Shares the same frame as the Tacoma. Which is part of the reason I call it a truck. They put everything they have in off-road into the 4Runners. They're very capable vehicles.

There are a couple companies around that buy new ones, and trick them out for 4-wheeling. I seriously contemplated one, but just couldn't justify the additional $20K to what is an already expensive vehicle. However, check out the TRD Pro. That one's pretty much ready to rock. And they all come with a full kit of under-body shields.

Last edited by chaissos; October 6th, 2017 at 04:16 PM.