ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself here, please.

Old August 5th, 2017   #1
guitarorth

Default Hey Fellow ST1300 Riders

Hi Everyone,

I live in the Seattle area, the Snoqualmie Valley, Twin Peaks land for those who know the TV show. I just jumped back in the saddle after a 5 year hiatus raising two young boys. In June I bought a 2006 ST1300 from a Tacoma area sheriff's deputy who kept it well maintained and garaged, with less than 13K miles as he spent most of the time riding his "work" bike!

I must say that my last bike was a 2000 BMW R1100RT, which I foolishly sold after my divorce in 2010. I was actually going to buy a new R1200RT but got skittish about going in to debt for it. I found my beautiful black ST1300 on Craigslist and I absolutely love it! Looking forward to many miles of pure bliss!

I'd love to hear from any local riders. Any tips would be great too.

Check me out on Twitter: @guitarorth.

Thanks
Mark
guitarorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017   #2
Guaglio

Default Re: Hey Fellow ST1300 Riders

Welcome to the forum, a lot of good people on here, with a lot of knowledge.
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017   #3
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Happy to have you on the site.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017   #4
novacaine

Welcome aboard! I know this is an ST forum, but I've never driven a BMW. How does your ST compare in your opinion? Thanks!
novacaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017   #5
guitarorth

Thanks everyone! Glad to be here and happy to be on a Honda again. My first one was as a pre-teenager, having graduated from a Sears Minibike followed by a Rupp, a 1970s SL70 and then a CRX 125. I've never owned a Honda street bike though. It's a rock solid bike and the price was right thanks to Craigslist!

To Novocaine, although I loved the RT, and if money were no object I would have bought the newest R1200RT, I have to say I absolutely love my "new" used ST1300 too. If I were to close my eyes, not advised to keep shiny side up, I would swear that I'm riding my R1100RT. The ride, comfort, handling and speed are that close to the BMW. That being said, I often joked that my RT sounded like a sewing machine whereas the ST sounds like a jet engine!

Anyone else have any thoughts on the differences?
guitarorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017   #6
echo

The bags on the BMW are easier to get on and off. The front end is a lot easier to do a seal change on too.
Old August 7th, 2017   #7
motornut

I live in Woodinville amongst the wine tasting industry of Washington and only have a 109 thousand miles on my 2004 st. It is a solid bike that loves to be ridden
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017   #8
Wally Schauer

guitaroth- I just read your comments on the sounds of BMW / ST1300. I would have to say just about the opposite. I rode a 2012 R1200RT for two weeks through five countries in the Alps in the fall of 2012 and thought the BMW sounded like a single engine aircraft. It was way louder than I liked, especially on the short autobahn runs.
Also rode a 2014 R1200RT (in the fall of 2014) down the coast of Italy and around the Isle of Sicilly. It sounded about the same, also had a louder exhaust than I like. In the Alps and hills of Italy riding two up I found myself down one gear compared to my 2007 ST. (with 21,000 mi.) And yes the ST could sound little like a jet engine, it whines a little until it warms up! And it goes like a jet after you wind it up.
Wally Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017   #9
echo

The ST engines are more powerful than the Boxer engines and the sound they make is typically described by their owners as resembling that of the Jetsons car.
Old August 9th, 2017   #10
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

echo,
I can get the bags on and off my '03 in a matter of seconds, don't see how the BMW could be any quicker ? Actually the only time I take the right bag off is to check tire pressure and both for washing. I use the Honda bag liners so they stay on when sport touring. That's what this bike is for, correct ?

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote