ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Communications

Old August 2nd, 2017   #1
CPR4LIFE

Default Question about volume level

Hey all, hoping someone can offer some insight or advice. I currently have a pair of Uclear 100 headsets and I've noticed that when I ride beyond in town speeds it is nearly impossible to hear my girlfriend when we try to communicate. I have heard that volume levels MAY be controlled by the mfg due to liability (I suppose hearing loss?) but I'm wondering if that's a line of BS that I'm being fed and that perhaps an upgrade to a better quality headset would result in higher volume so we can hear one another? If so, any recommendations that aren't ridiculously high priced?

Thanks in advance!
Old August 2nd, 2017   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question about volume level

I would suppose that "loud enough to hear" is left up to each of us as individuals. But I will tell you what I know.

Pop and I used the Cardo Scala Rider G4 Teamset for several years. They worked in all sorts of weather, never failed to work and they were loud enough but close to their max volume all the time.

We recently upgraded to the Cardo Scala Rider Freecom4 and these things are awesome. Every complaint I ever had about the old Cardo G4 has been fixed with the Freecom4. I LOVE these things.

The most popular option out there right now is the Sena 20 but I am not willing to change from the Cardo due to so many years and miles of trouble free service and the quality of the sound and function on the new FreeCom 4.
Old August 2nd, 2017   #3
CPR4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I would suppose that "loud enough to hear" is left up to each of us as individuals. But I will tell you what I know.

Pop and I used the Cardo Scala Rider G4 Teamset for several years. They worked in all sorts of weather, never failed to work and they were loud enough but close to their max volume all the time.

We recently upgraded to the Cardo Scala Rider Freecom4 and these things are awesome. Every complaint I ever had about the old Cardo G4 has been fixed with the Freecom4. I LOVE these things.

The most popular option out there right now is the Sena 20 but I am not willing to change from the Cardo due to so many years and miles of trouble free service and the quality of the sound and function on the new FreeCom 4.
Thanks for that info! I just did a bit of research and it looks like if I only want it for 2 up riding I can save some money by going with the Freecom 2 instead of the 4. I'm not concerned with group talking or range...I just want to make sure we can hear one another because it is frustrating when we're both saying, "What?" all the time!
Old August 3rd, 2017   #4
chaissos
Donators

You are wearing hearing protection, too, yes? It drops all sounds - especially the ambient sounds like wind and traffic - and lets you focus easier on the important sounds, like her talking (or yelling), at the same time protecting your hearing. Hearing only ever goes away - it never comes back.
Old August 3rd, 2017   #5
Mick
Loquacious Member

I had the Sena SMH10. When I first got it, I had a hard time hearing my music clearly above 50 or 60 mph (NOTE: I always wear foam earplugs). The problem turned out to be how the speakers in my helmet were mounted. I had to put spacer material behind the speakers so that they would be as close to my ear as possible. After I did that, I could be going 80 and hear just fine.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017   #6
CPR4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
You are wearing hearing protection, too, yes? It drops all sounds - especially the ambient sounds like wind and traffic - and lets you focus easier on the important sounds, like her talking (or yelling), at the same time protecting your hearing. Hearing only ever goes away - it never comes back.
It's an issue with or without hearing protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I had the Sena SMH10. When I first got it, I had a hard time hearing my music clearly above 50 or 60 mph (NOTE: I always wear foam earplugs). The problem turned out to be how the speakers in my helmet were mounted. I had to put spacer material behind the speakers so that they would be as close to my ear as possible. After I did that, I could be going 80 and hear just fine.
Interesting point...I'm going to check that. I seem to recall the speakers are very close to our ears because I had to dig out the speaker wells so the speakers would sit inside them. Before I did that they protruded out so far they pressed on our ears HARD and it was very uncomfortable!
Old August 3rd, 2017   #7
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

FWIW...

The speaker placement on the first Cardo set we had, the G4 was critical to our ability to hear clearly. And for some reason the speaker rubbing on my ear drove me crazy.

The newer Cardo Freecom4 has enough volume and has thinner speakers.

And Chaissos? I am actually embracing my deafness. It is making life with Mrs. Redfish much more pleasant as I can hear less and less of her fussing.
Old August 3rd, 2017   #8
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
FWIW...

I am actually embracing my deafness. It is making life with Mrs. Redfish much more pleasant as I can hear less and less of her fussing.

You are going to want to exercise some caution with the embracement of deafness, hearing loss.

As a hearing aid user I can tell you they do a wonderful job with what you have, but they have more than a few serious limitations.
They can not cure hearing loss, there is no gain from the degree of loss.
Any product that has AMP in the name should be avoided, these are not Hearing Aids, they just make noise louder and will cause further hearing loss.

Things you once enjoyed, dinner with friends, will become a found memory, more than one person talking at the table and you will understand little to nothing of any conversation.
Where you sit and the design of the restaurant can and will dictate where you go from now on.

Hearing is all about understanding what you just heard.
Hearing aids can enhance that with electronic filtering.
Everything else is simply put Bullshit and can cause further hearing loss.

They ain't fun but they are better than "what" as every third word.

Paul
Old August 3rd, 2017   #9
Redfish
Donators

Okay then, since my humor is lost on some of you...

I make my wife's money in a refinery. Noise, noise, noise is everywhere. We are required to wear hearing protection and we all do so. They encourage us to bring safety related equipment such as earplugs and safety glasses home to protect us while we are not on the job. I wear these things on my lawnmower and my tractor. I wear electronic muffs when shooting although I don't do much of that anymore.

A childhood spent completely ignorant of hearing protection but heavy on pistols, dirt bikes, lawn mowers, tractors, boats, three wheelers and all manner of noisy things inflicted damage early in the game.

Every year I go through a physical at my plant. This year my already poor hearing has "shifted". Another battery of tests, some question and answer sessions, and some debate led to a decision that my hearing loss is not an OSHA Recordable Incident.

Hearing loss sucks. But that does not mean that a good bike to bike or rider to passenger comm system is not a Good Thing.
Old August 4th, 2017   #10
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Hearing is not something I joke about nor find funny.

Paul