ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic If it is not ST1300 related, put it here.

Old November 23rd, 2016   #11
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: Is Windows 10 ready for Prime Time?

So far, going back to (and including) Quickbooks from 2001, I believe, there's not a single piece of software I haven't gotten to run in Win10. The QuickBooks people said it wouldn't run in Windows 7. I got it to work. Then I made it work in 10.

There's always a way. Once you figure it out, you can share with the world (like I do) and be the hero.
Old November 23rd, 2016   #12
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

someone may be able to remote your PC and see what they can do.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016   #13
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

The problem is age.
The hardware/memory is at it's limit.
It's just old tired slow.
Reminds me of me.

Time to upgrade.

Paul
Old November 24th, 2016   #14
JZH

I waited a year to upgrade the several computers under my care from Windows 7 to Windows 10, because I don't like to "early adopt" new operating systems to replace ones that are working just fine. Microsoft tempted me with their free upgrade and 1-year deadline. (After just making the deadline, I discovered that you can get the same upgrade for free even now by choosing to use, or possibly use, "assistive technologies".)

I can report that Windows 10 is indeed very stable, at least for me. I do have some video card issues when switching out of a particular "old" video game I still play sometimes (released in 2003-2004), but that is probably down to NVIDIA and the old game software rather than Microsoft.

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016   #15
tidrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Reminds me of me.

Time to upgrade.

Paul
Several of us resemble this remark. Keep us posted on your progress with the upgrade.

tidrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016   #16
thekaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
The problem is age.
The hardware/memory is at it's limit.
It's just old tired slow.
Reminds me of me.

Time to upgrade.

Paul
If you have the time to tinker just try running Win10 on your old gear.
Some of my shop gear was not officially designed for Win7 but we hacked it and WOW it runs better than ever.
I am also a pretty hard core gamer and some of the guys are complaining about win10 while others are saying its light years beyond Win7
It seems to be differences in hardware&drivers.

I would be real curious as to why Win10 was free ? Why did they want so many people to upgrade from a pretty stable Win7 ?
thekaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016   #17
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekaz View Post
If you have the time to tinker just try running Win10 on your old gear.
Some of my shop gear was not officially designed for Win7 but we hacked it and WOW it runs better than ever.
I am also a pretty hard core gamer and some of the guys are complaining about win10 while others are saying its light years beyond Win7
It seems to be differences in hardware&drivers.

I would be real curious as to why Win10 was free ? Why did they want so many people to upgrade from a pretty stable Win7 ?
Mainly, to avoid the abomination that Windows 8 created.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016   #18
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Since I work at MS, I have to stay UP on all the latest versions. So, I don't know if Win 10 has issues with older applications. Heck, we even have to use Beta s/w. We call it, "eating our own dogfood".
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016   #19
chaissos
Donators

I've read a bunch on "why" the upgrade was pushed out for free - since it's the first time MS ever did anything like that. Lots of different theories are (were?) being posited in various chatrooms, but the one that made the most sense is a combination of things, which didn't quite come to fruition. MS gave the rest of the world a chance to upgrade everything they had, for free. Everyone would have the latest security, most stable and best updating OS available.

One real advantage, is that once MS finds there are no more of a system out there, they can stop writing security patches for it. They know all the stats now. How many different versions of which OS are out there...well, mostly. I'm sure there are some stand-alone versions, but they are few, and are also far less of a concern. If they don't connect to the Internet, they don't have to be updated. Win10 also comes with the ability to do "peer to peer" patch updates across the Internet. That would take a huge chunk of required bandwidth away from MS, and put it down to the users. With everyone updating everyone else, and only a handful updating directly from MS, patches should deploy quicker, and save MS money.

Of course, it's ALL just conjecture.

The fact that so many either chose not to, or their systems wouldn't take it, frankly, I think astonished MS. I upgraded all mine, except the one that wouldn't run it. I also think that the die-hards on XP will find the new threats are going to take them out quickly, on any Internet connected devices. Stand-alone is fine, but don't go on-line.

The entire USG will be upgrading to Win10 SHB (Secure Host Baseline) - whatever that means, I've not researched that yet - sometime in the next year or so. They want everything done by the end of January - I just don't think the money side supports that. A LOT of systems we're running don't have the horsepower to run it, so we'll have to upgrade a bunch of them. Just Google "Win 10 SHB" - there are some details available. I think it's interesting, and will probably adopt some of the security standards myself.

Last edited by chaissos; November 25th, 2016 at 05:30 AM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016   #20
OTRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZH View Post
I can report that Windows 10 is indeed very stable.....

Ciao,
Was just reading about the dismantling of the Avalanche Cyber Crime Ring and recommended related virus scanners. My Win 10 box is a very recent acquisition and am still setting up and wasn't very concerned by "Avalanche".

Still ran one of the "Avalanche" specific scanners overnight....and it did spot a Trojan!

Went and unplugged my old XP Box from the router......
OTRA is offline   Reply With Quote