ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old October 18th, 2016   #11
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: My ride

I find that as I get older, all my "camping" spots tend to have large neon signs mounted to them. Normally, they say things like "Marriot", "Hilton" or the like. You're fortunate to be able to camp. My busted back can't take it anymore.

Sounds like you've had fun so far. Keep on enjoying it.
Old October 18th, 2016   #12
Guaglio

I woke up early, had an espresso, packed up the tent, and threw on an extra layer as the temp was in the high thirties. As I took off, I figured I could ride a long day, and be in Portland by 6:00pm; if all went right.
I started heading into the mountains, and as I climbed, the temp, plummeted. I was in Mullan Idaho, when I had to pull over for gas. I always check my bike over before riding, and noticed that my rear tire was looking very worn, so I gingerly rode to Kellogg Idaho, and tried to use the phone to find someone working the day before labor day....with the help of a good samaritan (as my phone didn't work there), I found a mechanic in the next town over willing to help me on the holiday.
I rode the bike to Pinehurst Idaho, found the shop, and with the permission of the shop owner set up camp right outside the shop.
http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476834423

As you can see, I made no issue of parking right in front so I could be seen.
The owner (Glenn) was true to his word, came by the night before, checked on me, and came by early the next morning to get started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160904_180812.jpg (73.6 KB, 33 views)
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016   #13
Guaglio

While I waited, Glenn said he didn't have a tire in my size, I went on the RAN network, and was promptly answered by a great guy named Bob (I'll keep his last name private unless he wants to introduce himself), whom brought me a fresh tire from Spokane Washington with only 2k miles on it....for free! I offered to pay him, and he kindly declined. He had a friend riding with him (Dwayne), and they even helped us change the tire. Bob is very knowledgeable, and has a big heart. When we were done, I bought the crew lunch, and started to head out with Bob, and Dwayne on my rear tire ; they rode with me to just south of Spokane, then turned off to get gas, the tire held up, and I'm forever grateful.

I made it to Portland that night around 6:30, and reunited with my navy buddy for a week of salmon fishing with fly rods, and on a guided trip up the Deschutes , we caught coho, and small....as in smolt, steelhead. We went to breweries

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476837076
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160909_163534.jpg (25.1 KB, 34 views)
Old October 18th, 2016   #14
Guaglio

did a lot more fishing, sight seeing, and reminiscing. They say that best friends don't have to talk at all, and can pick up like the day they left off, twenty years later. We did just that; but we talk about once a week, and have since we went our own ways over 20 years ago. I was best man at his wedding, and he showed up at my retirement.

The next Saturday, my wife flew into Seattle Washington, I rented a car, and picked her up to start a different part of this vacation. In the 30+ years since we've been married, I'd never met her uncles from the PWC. We drove up to Bellingham, met them, and were rewarded with a great tour of Mount Baker, Mount Shuksan
And the local beaches. After three days, we went back to Seattle, with an intermediate stop on Mount Rainier. After my wife left, (at 5:00am)I departed for Portland, turned in the rental car, and returned to my buddies house to finish packing, and take off for the long return to Minnesota.

I made it to Boise Idaho, found a hotel, had dinner, and went to bed. It was the very beginning of the end of a fantastic vacation.

Last edited by Guaglio; October 18th, 2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old October 18th, 2016   #15
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I may just have a new Hero. You are awesome.

The goofy tire sizes on the ST were always a source of worry for me on a long trip. In a pinch a 180 can be fitted to the rear but NOBODY has a front tire that will work.
Old October 19th, 2016   #16
Guaglio

I woke up the next morning, feeling refreshed, and yet anxious to ride. I went down stairs to the hotel lobby, loaded the bike and went to check out. As I'm standing there, I hear a man speaking with a European accent; after asking some questions, I found out that he's from Austria, doing an around the world tour, and needs help finding a BMW dealer as his bike tire has a nail in it.
I googled dealers in my phone, we compared notes, and decided on a shop pretty close to the hotel. I led the way, keeping an eye on him in my mirrors, and we safely arrived at the shop. He was third in line, and I decided tomwait in case he needed more help. He was riding a '95 BMW gs

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476874487

His name is Karl, and we became fast friends. He asked where I was headed, and I said that after lunch , I was headed to Yellowstone, then Minnesota. He asked if he could ride with me, so after his bike was ready ,we went to lunch, and took off to see Old Faithful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160916_133935.jpg (95.7 KB, 30 views)
Old October 19th, 2016   #17
Guaglio

We took off, and the temps were in the high 50's. The ride was uneventful with my new Austrian friend in tow, we were averaging 75 mph as we made our way across some of this nations most beautiful highways. As the sun started to set, the temps started to drop as well.
We got to a really small town (Marysville I believe) around 6:30, had dinner, and decided to camp as soon as we could find a campground . By the time we found a place, it was 9:30pm. From the time we finished eating to the time we got there, I was concerned ,as we were facing two problems. The first being that the temps had dropped to the low 40'sb the second, and most important, was the fear of wildlife being in the road. We passed a park ranger overlooking a wounded deer, and my awareness amped up considerably.
We made it safely to the KOA , paid our fee, and found a spot to sleep for the night. By now the temps were in the mid 30's, and dropping.
I put up a tent, and Karl decided to sleep in the heated shower room . He informed me that he wanted to sleep in warmth, said good night, and locked the door. I'm good with that, I had a warm bag, a nice pad, and I settled in for a chilly nights sleep beside a running stream.
http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476888323

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476867737

It was 27 degrees when we woke up. I made an espresso, and some oatmeal, and waited for
Karl to get up, and the temps to warm up. As you can tell from the pictures, the fog was pretty heavy, and we waited about an hour before packing,warming up the bikes, and taking off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160916_073000.jpg (38.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20160916_071507.jpg (75.7 KB, 28 views)
Old October 20th, 2016   #18
Guaglio

]http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3965&stc=1&d=147698462 8
After riding to the station, getting gas, and paying our entry fee, we rode , well layered, to the sulpher springs area. On the way, we saw elk, bison, fly fishermen, and the raw beauty of nature. We continued on for another 35 minutes till we saw signs for Old Faithful. Pulled in and found we'd just missed the show. We took off our gear, had lunch and waited for the next show!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160916_103038_001.jpg (44.3 KB, 23 views)
Old October 20th, 2016   #19
echo
The sky is falling...

How were the crowds there?

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016   #20
Guaglio

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1477001009
Thar she blows! After Old Faithful erupted yet again, we suited up, and took off. We got to the intersection in the park where Karl had to head south toward Salt Lake City, and I toward Cody Wyoming. We said our goodbyes, exchanged address information, and took off on our seperate ways. It's amazing the people you can meet in a short time on the road!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160916_125126.jpg (20.7 KB, 20 views)