ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old October 15th, 2016   #11
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Redfish and Pop ride to Kentucky again

We took Hwy 33 out of Elkins WV headed East. It was 46 F, the coldest morning of the trip. Heated grips on both FJRs were working well.

33 is a very nice road, some parts tight and technical but mostly sweepers. Lots of fantastic scenery on 33. The farms, the forests, the road, it was all good.

Of course I had a good reason, I wanted to see Seneca Rocks. A very interesting formation it was, it was worth our time.

Of course any road in that area is nice, we really did not need an excuse for that section.

As usual I just had to go check out the water temp. It was not as cold as I expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2530.jpg (53.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (52.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.jpg (54.2 KB, 47 views)
Old October 16th, 2016   #12
Guaglio

Looks like a good time Redfish, when are you heading north toward Minnesota?
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016   #13
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

We turned south on 220 which carried us into Virginia, then east on 250. Since the FCB (Free Continental Breakfast) at our hotel had been very lame, we were hungry. Riding in the cold had helped our appetites as well. We stopped at a small roadside café in Churchville and had a very tasty lunch.

We skirted around the north side of Waynesboro VA and then picked up the BRP at its North End. I know the BRP is not "reality". I know the speed limit is low. But it is beautiful and if you push the curves just a little bit, it can be great fun. The BRP has LOTS of curves.

So we finally got to ride the BRP from one end to the other. It does take a while, but it was great. Since we hit it after lunch the first day we spent a night in Fancy Gap VA. 7 and a half hours of the second day had us off the BRP and back into the real world.

I don't care for tourist traps and the unbelievable stupidity of the tourist drivers in Cherokee NC is always a source of agitation. I have to admire what the Cherokee tribe has done there, they have a neat, clean, attractive, and organized little money maker of a town. They have done well with what they have and I like that.

We were not ready to shut down just yet and pushed on to Blue Ridge GA for the night. The Reid Ridge Hotel was a wonderful place, the staff was awesome, the rooms were clean and Very Nice.

Breakfast a Wes-Mans restaurant in White GA was excellent and we were getting closer and closer to home with each mile. Pop was in no hurry but once I get pointed toward home... I missed Mrs. Redfish and Redfish Jr.

We were in Southern MS and night was upon us so we decided to call it quits for the day. But it was almost impossible to find a hotel room. We finally found a Best Western in Wiggins MS that had a room available. Turns out there was a huge Classic Car event on the MS Gulf Coast called Cruising the Coast and every hotel room within a hundred miles was booked. Since there were some shiny hot rods in the parking lot and the FJRs were parked under the porch in the lights, I was obligated to do a thorough wipe down. Just to keep us looking respectable.

A good breakfast at The Crossroads Café on Hwy 26 in MS just 3 minutes East of the LA line set us up for a nice ride home. We rolled into Dad's house just before 11:00 am. I had lunch with my wife and son.

An awesome ride, no issues, no major mistakes, good weather, what more could a motorcycle rider ask for?

1. The BRP and a little Fall Color
2. Mabry Mill on the BRP
3. My WTH? face. She was actually wearing a dress on the back of a Valkyrie.
4. I like to check my directions in random church parking lots. Sometimes a little extra help finding your way is useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2531.jpg (52.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (56.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.jpg (55.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.jpg (52.3 KB, 43 views)
Old October 16th, 2016   #14
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Which one of you was the Wild Turkey?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016   #15
chaissos
Donators

Glad you had a safe and fun trip. Say Hi to Mrs Redfish and Redfish Jr. for me.

one of these days......
Old October 17th, 2016   #16
Guaglio

I love your reports Redfish, entertaining, good pics, and always informative. Keep riding, and take care of your pops, I'd have loved to have had the same experiences with my dad.
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016   #17
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I'll be 76, in a couple of weeks and I hope I can get back to riding.
This infirm crap sucks.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016   #18
Redfish
Donators

The fact is that Pop turned 71 in August. He is still strong and still loves to ride so I continue to plan these trips. He really looks forward to them and I try to cover something different and new for him as well as for me.

I found that the more comfortable we were able to make his bike, the happier and better our experience.

I am very well aware of how fortunate I am to be able to share these rides with Pop. I do not take it for granted.
Old October 18th, 2016   #19
chaissos
Donators

Where's that "like" button?