ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old January 20th, 2015   #1
ibike2havefun

Default First ride of 2015 for me

Today was a GIFT: clean roads, temps warm enough to survive without heated gear, and-- most importantly-- a day out of the office. Add to that the fact that my bike modification program concluded yesterday, and desperately need a road test and... well, you know what happened next.

The plan was simple: get the bike out of the Isolation Booth, air up the tires (the rear unaccountably loses about 5 PSI a week and it's been in storage for nearly two months), and head up to the MSF practice range for a little mid-winter skills renewal.

Somehow, I instead found myself headed out to the open spaces in the western part of Montgomery County, and decided that lunch at one of my favorite stops would be in order. It also happened to have been the destination for my last ride of the season in 2014, so it seemed only fitting that it be a focal point of the 2015 opener.

Lunch over, there was still time and temperature remaining for a bit more foolishness so we (the bike and I) headed out a bit farther before turning around and heading back into town.

When I arrived back at the Isolation Booth I was just about giddy with pleasure from the 75 miles of riding, and the renewal of my love affair with this bike and with riding in general (even though I'm still definitely new to it). It was a soul-restoring experience, and badly needed for a variety of reasons.

I hope all the rest of you who are going through withdrawal can get out soon enough.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015   #2
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: First ride of 2015 for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
air up the tires (the rear unaccountably loses about 5 PSI a week .
That's a lot, get a frothy sponge rubbed all over the valve and seals, you should be able to find where.
Old January 21st, 2015   #3
ibike2havefun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
That's a lot, get a frothy sponge rubbed all over the valve and seals, you should be able to find where.
Yeah it is. Right damn annoying, too. Will try as you suggest and see what I can see. Thanks for the tip.

Another buddy of mine suggested that it might be due to inadequate wire-brushing of the rim at the last tire remount, so that air is bleeding out from under the bead.

So maybe the best way to get this problem to go away in a hurry is just ride hell out of the bike for a spell and get that rear tire to wear out quickly and need replacing.

When I do finally replace it I'm also going to replace the existing straight-up rubber stems with the angled aluminum ones. It's really a hassle to get a straight-chuck hose fitting on, especially on the rear where there's very little vertical clearance above the stem. (There was a whole thread about this last summer... )

In the meantime, I bought a cheapie portable compressor, which I can power from the newly-installed power outlet on the fairing, and limp along. That routine makes sure I give the engine a good warming-up, and also a close-up inspection of the underside and rear of the bike at least once a week.

Old January 21st, 2015   #4
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

The first time I used my compressor, it blew a fuse.
Too much draw, for the 7.5 amp fuse in my Battery Tender connection.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015   #5
ibike2havefun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
The first time I used my compressor, it blew a fuse.
Too much draw, for the 7.5 amp fuse in my Battery Tender connection.
I put an assortment of 10, 15, and 20A fuses into the project. I think the front power sockets currently have 20s. The wire I used was 14 gauge copper so i think it should be able to carry the load but I haven't done the math (don't really know how, actually) to validate that hope.

Old January 21st, 2015   #6
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I have been riding mine almost every night. To work.

I purchased the Ariete angled valve stems for Ole Blue and it was a good investment. I put a set on Dad's FJR as well. I have to order a new set for the new FJR. I enjoyed them while I had them but now that I don't have them I REALLY miss them.
Old January 21st, 2015   #7
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 88 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Valve stems and good service too.

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=169

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015   #8
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
I put an assortment of 10, 15, and 20A fuses into the project. I think the front power sockets currently have 20s. The wire I used was 14 gauge copper so i think it should be able to carry the load but I haven't done the math (don't really know how, actually) to validate that hope.
The maths is simple, if 14 gauge copper wire is less than 20A rated, it's going to get too hot, at best.
Old January 23rd, 2015   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 148 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

14 gauge is rated at 15 amps, for AC.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015   #10
SinNH
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
14 gauge is rated at 15 amps, for AC.
Right oh.
No math involved.
Just reading a chart for THHN2
14 AWG is good for 15 amps
12-----------------20
10-----------------30
500MCM-----------430

"The right to keep and bear arms is the one right that allows rights to exist at all."
SinNH is offline   Reply With Quote