ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > GPS, Navigation & Routing > GPS Model reviews

GPS Model reviews List your reviews of various models and makes of GPS's here.

Old May 20th, 2012   #11
rocketvfx

Default Re: REVIEW: Peaklife Motorcycle GPS

OK, I see where this is going. This is about you being 'right' and getting the last word in!

Look, it's just a product review. I'm not trying to promote anything. It's really not important to me, whether or not people do what I do. Like I said before, if you don't like it, then don't buy it! And where I mounted the GPS gas little relevance to the title (and purpose) of this thread: "REVIEW: Peaklife Motorcycle GPS"

Don't take it so personally, Joe! It's not about you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Thanks for the review but, you can keep the attitude.

As for mounting positions, there are plenty of dash shelves available so that your GPS is up in your view, not way down below your speedo.

But, do whatever you like. It's your neck.

Z
rocketvfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013   #12
chaissos
Donators

---- Download and install iGo and mapdata ----

Note: The device is supposed to be powered off before you connect it to your PC, and then again before you disconnect it from your PC. I don't know why, that's just what the manufacturer recommends.

Mostly because of the cost, I bought one of these PeakLife GPS's, too. Actually, it seems to work rather well.

Mounting: For me, I ordered an extra ball mount (RAM-B-260U). That's the 10-24 threaded hole, which should have been the M6 (RAM-B-273-M6U), but nevermind. It just took me a while longer to find the right screw. Saw off the ball on the M/C mount (it's a 5/16 ball, smaller than the normal 1" RAM stuff I have) that came with the unit, clean up the hole, and screw the ball to the back of the unit. A regular screw with some Loctite does well here. Then mount. Easy.

Software: Step 1: Install "Torch". Torch is a web browser/Torrent client. However, since I trust so very few websites, I refuse to use it as a browser. I stick with FireFox, and block as many scripts as I can.

Step 2: Now, with FF, head over to the Pirate Bay (google it), and (using NoScript addon for FF) don't allow any scripts - none. There, you can search for things like "iGo" and you'll get a bunch of hits. Choose the version you'd like to run (select, or click it), copy the URL to Torch, and click the button that says "Get Torrent". Torch will start downloading the thing for you, and save it wherever you tell it to. "Downloads" is the default, I think.

--DISCLAIMER: DO NOT click any of the pictures on those pages. You WILL get infected by something. All those pictures of half naked pretty girls are just waiting for you to click on them. Don't do it. If you do, don't complain to me later that your systems are infected with something.

Step 3: Once you get the iGo software downloaded (you DID you get maps, too, didn't you?), and the Peaklife is connected to your PC, just copy everything to the GPS. Two drives will show on your computer when it's connected. One will be labeled "TFAT", the other will just be a normal driver letter. TFAT is the internal memory, the other is the SD card that's included. Both are 2G storage. Both will hold the iGo software and the map data. I put mine on the internal memory, mostly for speed, but I don't think it matters at all. There is supposed to be a way so separate the files, put some on the internal, some on the SD card, but I haven't gotten that to work yet. If I do, I'll update.

Step 4: Power down the Peaklife, disconnect from your computer, power back up. Go to the settings, Navipath, and find your way to the iGo executable. Select it. You can either select it to autostart or not. There are two icons in the uper left to go back, one is a cancel, and one is a save. I forget which is which, just go through the process and check to see that the right executable is listed.

(Edit: Route uploads done....read the next post)
(Edit: POI uploads done....keep reading....)

As for the unit itself, it's not a bad little device. The base operating system is WinCE, and you're buying a GPS, not the navigation software. It does do exactly what it's supposed to do. Remember that a GPS will not show you how to get anywhere, but just report latitude/longitude/elevation to you or some software. You have to have navigation software to use it to go anywhere. It seems very accurate, and can tell the difference between the highway, and the access road that's about 5 feet away, which my 8 year old Garmin can't.

You can order one from the ChinaVision.com website. I did, and although I was a bit worried about it, there was no need. They delivered it rather quickly, considering where they are. The price will vary depending on the exchange rate, and honestly the more expensive it is, the better that is for us right now. With the economy in as bad a shape as it is, the weaker the Dollar, the better.

If you do have one, there are a couple websites out there that talk all about the iGo software. You have to register if you want to follow any of the links or download any of the files, but I don't. I just want the information. You can google iGo, too, to find more information about that.

Enjoy.

Last edited by chaissos; February 10th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013   #13
chaissos
Donators

---- Create and upload a route ----

Note: The device is supposed to be powered off before you connect it to your PC, and then again before you disconnect it from your PC. I don't know why, that's just what the manufacturer recommends.

Note2: I did this with iGo Primo 2.4, and this may or may not work with other iGo versions (but I suspect it will work with them all).

On the drive you loaded the iGo software to:
in the "content" folder, create "UserData" and then in UserData create a "Route" folder.

Log into your Google account (or create one, then log in if you don't have one).

- Create your route. Note that you may have to use a LOT of waypoints to get the exact same route onto your device. This will mostly be due to the differences between the map software you have, and what Google has, and then the routing that your GPS will use. It's easy enough to add new points, and if you're familiar enough to create a route, then you're also familiar enough to add more points.

- Save the Google route to "My Maps" (it's at the bottom of the left column, and why you need to log in).

- Once you save it, Google will take you directly there (if it doesn't, just hit the "My Places" button at the top).

- Check at the top under "My Saved Places", and you'll see a couple small links. "KML" is the one you want. Click on KML, and save the file.

- Now, you can rename the file to something that makes more sense. You can also publish it to a forum, e-mail it to a friend, whatever you like.

Copy the route file to your "Route" folder you created above.

Shutdown the GPS, disconnect it from the PC, and power it back on. The iGo software will auto-magically import the route when you select it. So now you're sitting at the map screen, wondering what to do.

Select the "Menu" button,
Select the little route button (looks like a road with your basic arrow on it),
Select the "More" button,
Scroll until you see the "Load Route" button. Select it.

You should see your route listed. It won't have the nice name you saved it as, though. It will be listed as "From: the place you selected on Google" and should be two lines long - unless you only have one waypoint.

Select it. The GPS will do a calculation, show you the overall route on the screen, approximate fuel usage (although I'm not sure what it's using to calculate that), cost to ride/drive it, and the amount of CO2 you'll produce (again, what's the calculation for that?).

Finally, when it's done calculating, hit the "->Go!" button, and it'll start by taking you from where you are to the start point.

Simple, and effective. No special software is required. No MS Streets and Trips, no Garmin BaseCamp, nothing.

Enjoy.

Last edited by chaissos; February 10th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old February 10th, 2013   #14
chaissos
Donators

---- Upload and turn on POI's ----

Note2: I did this with iGo Primo 2.4, and this may or may not work with other iGo versions (but I suspect it will work with them all).

I found one good place to get POI files is here:

http://www.poiplaza.com/

If you hit the big Download button in the upper right, you can then browse by country, state, or category. Once you've selected the POI file you'd like, you just hit the big button for it.

They list several different formats, but for the iGo, you want to select the one for your OS. Of course, I hit the iGo Primo button, and it downloaded a .zip file.

Opening this file gives you all the directions you need. But, basically:

- In your UserData folder, create a "POI" folder.

- Extract the KML file in your download to that folder.

- Power down, disconnect, power up...

- Once inside the navigation software, hit the "More" button in the upper right. There's no word, and it's shaped sort of like a rectangle with two rounded and two sharp corners. If you run this GPS for any length of time, you'll know exactly what button I'm talking about.

- Select the "Map Settings" button.

- Scroll down to "Place Markers", and select it.

- Select your POI file (the system will put a checkmark in the box).

- Hit Back, Back, Back to the map.

That's it, it will now put your POI's on the map.

Enjoy.

Last edited by chaissos; February 10th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old February 10th, 2013   #15
chaissos
Donators

---- Save or Share your Favorites ----

Of course, you can back up the entire thing merely by copying the full 1.5G (or whatever your size currently is) to a folder somewhere. For safety of the software, you probably should save before you do too many updates. However, what if all you've done is update a bunch of saved places, or "Favorites"?

With the device connected to your PC, navigate to the iGo folder, and find the folder:

\save\profiles\01

The entire size of that folder is only 40K (or so), so it's easiest to just save that one. But, if you want to check out your favorites, manually edit them, change the names of those places, or whatever else, the file is:

user.upoi

Depending on the number of favorites you have, it's even smaller, down at around 1K. Also makes it very easy to send a specific place identifier to a friend.

Enjoy.

Last edited by chaissos; February 10th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old February 19th, 2013   #16
TimM

I like my $100 Tom-Tom that isn't water proof, it's lasted many years on my bike, mounted on a suction cup attached to the tank, and yes it has been very wet a few times. But electrical tape keeps water out of places that would actually hurt it (power switch, speaker, SD card slot).

Last edited by TimM; February 19th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013   #17
chaissos
Donators

Tim, please start another thread, give me all the details on that GPS, how to upload/download routes and POIs, overall impressions, that sort of stuff. I thought there was a question or something about the Peaklife when I saw you'd posted.