ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Seats, Seat Pads, Risers, Pegs

Seats, Seat Pads, Risers, Pegs Ergonomics & Comfort

Old June 8th, 2015   #1
tlfcwl

Default peg lowering kit

Hello All. New member here in central cal.Just bought 2007 st1300. I am an old fart with 2 knee replacements and find that they ache is bent too long. Ordered highway blades from motorcyclelarry and thinking about peg lowering kit. worried about ground clearance on cornering and using brake/shifter with lowered pegs. any advice appreciated.
tlfcwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015   #2
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Re: peg lowering kit

If you ride in even a little bit sporty mode, you will drag the pegs on a stock bike. Gotta believe the lowering kit would have then dragging in normal riding.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015   #3
tlfcwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
If you ride in even a little bit sporty mode, you will drag the pegs on a stock bike. Gotta believe the lowering kit would have then dragging in normal riding.
That's what I was afraid of! Thanks for the input.
Old June 8th, 2015   #4
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 87 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I have used the lowered pegs for several years, the better part of what is now 12 years, with no problem.
You must aware they are on at first and you will touch on occasion but I have never touched hard enough for them to be a issue and touching today is a rare event.

I live in the flat lands and regular ride to a 9,500 foot tight turned area.
Straight as a string and flat as a board for 80 miles then it's straight up a twisty windy road through the forest.
I carry the tools, it takes two, needed to remove them when roads that call for them to be removed. Change the cotter pin to a hitch pin and they can be removed quite easily and quickly in the gas station parking lot or on the side of the road with no fuss and very minimum muss.

It was trouble with my knees, they ached.
There was a period that I was not sure I was going to be able to keep the ST it bothered my knees so bad.
I found the lowering kit, long before MCL copied them, and they saved the day and my ability to ride the ST comfortably to the point I was putting in 1,000 miles days easily.
I even rallied, 1k in 24hrs is the entry level, fairly regularly for some time.

When not attached to the bike I carry them always.
They are on right now. It's been a while since I rode and I put them on before I started again.

Never leave home without them.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015   #5
tlfcwl

Thank you Paul. Interesting idea, changing them off. I think I will see if using the blades to stretch them out is enough relief for those old knees and , if not, try the peg kit. I am on the flat but most of my riding is up in Sierras.
Old June 9th, 2015   #6
roginoz

If my knees start aching (usually on a really long trip,) I'll move my feet up to the highway blades. Five minutes or so and I'm good to go back to the regular pegs for an extended period. I've also fitted Goldwing pegs, which are just a tiny bit lower (and wider.) They bolt right on, but require lowering the brake pedal and shifter lever a little bit (easily accomplished.) A couple of Aleve in the morning help, too. Don't neglect the possibility of fixing the seat in a higher position, too, if your inseam allows.
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350
roginoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015   #7
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I'm not sure whether MCL still makes the Highway Blades but, that might be a better solution. Basically, they're Highway pegs that fold into the tip-over bars hidden inside a plastic cover on each side of the bike.

That way, you could occasionally stretch out your legs and rest them on the Hwy Blades and not have to worry about scraping pegs in corners.

Of course, you wouldn't want to use them IN the corners. ;-)

However, I'm not sure his company still makes them after Larry passed away.

You might still be able to buy some used ones, though. Or, Mike Robert's original version.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015   #8
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 87 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Anybody tip theirs over with the blades attached?
Gas station tip over, no speed.
Unless you have actually slid them down the road at speed.

After testing the engine guards at speed, and seeing the damage done first person, I think I can safely say the blades will be trash.

Paul
Old June 10th, 2015   #9
tlfcwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Anybody tip theirs over with the blades attached?
Gas station tip over, no speed.
Unless you have actually slid them down the road at speed.

After testing the engine guards at speed, and seeing the damage done first person, I think I can safely say the blades will be trash.

Paul
Thanks for the warning. Good to know the risk but my knees are a big enough issue for me that I think the risk of tip over damage is less of a concern. Don't ride that much anymore but haven't had a bike go over for 20 years or more.
Old June 10th, 2015   #10
PaulRB
ST Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlfcwl View Post
Thanks for the warning. Good to know the risk but my knees are a big enough issue for me that I think the risk of tip over damage is less of a concern. Don't ride that much anymore but haven't had a bike go over for 20 years or more.
Ever rode anything with 5 gallons of fuel that sits above your butt?
The ST can become very top heavy with a full tank particularly at low speed and when moving it out of the way at a gas station.

The ST has the finest in tip over protection of any bike and damn few have not tested it at one time or another.

Your best bet is never move the bike unless your sitting on it.
If it does start to tip get out of the way, your hurt yourself trying to save it and chances are you will not. Let the tip over protection do it's job.

After your first seriously look into Bygdawg Tip Over Bars for the rear.
$205 well spent.
Do a search for Bygdawg bars on this site and you can read all about a truly excellent add-on worth every penny.
http://www.bygdawg.com/bars.html

Paul