ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Seats, Seat Pads, Risers, Pegs

Seats, Seat Pads, Risers, Pegs Ergonomics & Comfort

Old November 4th, 2014   #1
JackSullivan

Default Laam Custom Seats

Picked up a left over 2012 ST1300 a few weeks ago and canít believe what a nice bike it is; should have bought one years ago. I like everything about it except the seat; wow! what a horrible seat, canít sit on it for more than a couple of hours without pain and the forward tilt is unacceptable for me.
Did some research on this site and gave Seth Laam a call; nice guy who seems to really know his stuff. He is shipping my new seat today and I can hardly wait to try it out. Will do a review after I put some miles on it.
Anyone having trouble getting a hold of Seth should know he has been having problems with his web site for a while now but the problem has recently been repaired.
JackSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Laam Custom Seats

I was the first member here to post on the Laam Custom seat and the first on the "other forum" as well. If you do a Google Images search for Laam Custom Seats my seat, bike, and my wife's countertop all show up on the first page.

Seth had the decency to contact me and thank me for my positive review of his seats and to let me know that I had opened a floodgate of ST1300 seat builds.

I had Seth build the seat for my Dad's '07 FJR and it is better than my seat. I needed it done in a hurry and Seth took care of me.

A very good friend and co-worker took my advice and had Seth re-do his very uncomfortable Bill Mayer seat for his BMW R1200RT. I sat on that brand new seat last night and found that it was wonderful as well.

When my 2015 FJR finally arrives sometime this month, Seth Laam is going to get that call. I hope your seat is everything you want it to be.
Old November 7th, 2014   #3
JHeimburger

I have around 40K on my Laam seat since August of 2013. Great seat. Many 1K (+) days in the saddle. I can do 3K in a long weekend without any thoughts what-so-ever about the seat. I can't do 5K in a week on it like others say about a Russell but I'm very happy with the seat and the customer service from Seth.
JHeimburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015   #4
JackSullivan

Poor Seth; I have been a pain and he has been great! I just sent my seat back for the third time for changes; the second one required another new cover and he never complained or asked for more money. After trip number two, the seat was comfortable and I no longer slid forward but still felt like my upper body was falling into the handlebars (sure wish I could have ridden this bike before buying it). I ended up buying the ML seat raiser kit which does put me in a neutral position, unfortunately all the extra material I had Seth add to the front of the seat really locked me into one position. That is what brought on the third trip back to Seth; he is removing most of the extra foam from the front of the seat. Hopefully I will end up with a comfortable relatively flat seat I can move around on.
It will be a tall bike but I can live with that, now I have to make a couple of black plastic panels to hide the gap under the seat caused by the seat riser kit.

Last edited by JackSullivan; February 4th, 2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old February 4th, 2015   #5
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Have you tried Handlebar risers?

Buying used, you might already have them.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015   #6
JackSullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Have you tried Handlebar risers?

Buying used, you might already have them.
The bike was a brand new left over 2012 and heli-bar risers were the first mod I made to it, followed by ML foot peg lowering blocks.
I am confident the bike will work well for me after Seth finishes with the seat. It will be tip toe situation but I have been riding BMW GS bikes for the last ten years so I am used to tall bikes.
Old February 18th, 2015   #7
JackSullivan

I got my seat back from Seth and have put 100 miles or so on it with the seat risers. Nice seat; I should be able to ride several 400 plus mile days in a row with no problems.
Can't say enough about Seth; nice guy with great customer service.
Old May 10th, 2015   #8
Sleestak

Hi

I finally took the ST for a long trip ~1300 miles. I need a different seat!!!!!!!! I am looking into getting a seat by Seth Laam. I am sure he is busy but I have emailed him twice and left a voice mail in the last week and I have not heard back. I am sure he will get back with me sometime. I need a seat by June 8th for my next trip. So if he cant make one by then I will need to look at other options.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

If anyone has a old seat that would be better than stock that they might be able to sell I would consider that too. I can only go about 60 miles until I start getting uncomfortable. By end of day I'm miserable- NO FUN!!

Money is a factor too. Everyone says Russell is best but thats a bit more than the Laam seat.

THANKS!!!
Gary
Old May 10th, 2015   #9
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

The advice I offer when ask, I have a Russell on clear display, is:

Anything you spend prior to buying the Russell add significant cost to the Russell.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015   #10
AlleyBrewer

I used the online contact form for Laam last Monday and got a response on Tuesday saying they were scheduling for the first week in June and they need an order form too. I filled that out on Tuesday and emailed again on Tuesday and Friday but haven't heard back and didn't get any acknowledgement on the order form. From what I've read, this seems to be just how it goes, but in the end, they will contact you when necessary and they will build a great seat. Us folks who want more contact just need to be patient. Fortunately, I don't have any long rides coming up soon, so I can be patient.
AlleyBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote