ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Seats, Seat Pads, Risers, Pegs

Seats, Seat Pads, Risers, Pegs Ergonomics & Comfort

Old October 17th, 2013   #51
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Laam Custom Seat

Glad to hear it's working out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjon View Post
Got back from a good road trip the other day and have about caught up with all the "gotta do's" around the house. I put about 550 miles on the bike first day out and never had to stand up on the foot pegs once,(total miles @2700 6 days) did not notice any discomfort in the new Laam seat at all. I could do about 75 miles with stock---200 miles with the Spencer mod before the pain set in. I believe the Lamm is a winner--500-600 miles a day is all my bones care to handle anyway, at least now the butt is not screaming to pull over anymore before I reach that limit.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015   #52
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I am resurrecting this old thread in response to a PM about my Laam seat on the FJR. I hope this info and pics are some use.

On my '15 FJR I went with the Plain Vinyl for the top surface as well as the sides. Everything is black but it looks almost like a dull charcoal gray in person. I wanted to go with just black stitching but Seth insisted on a Silver accent top stitch and I like it.

The plain vinyl is more grippy than the Carbon FX and seems to be thicker and tougher. As to which looks better, that is best left to personal opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9293.jpg (52.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9295.jpg (53.5 KB, 47 views)
Old April 28th, 2015   #53
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 150 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

My Russell seat is leather, my first, not counting the Rick Mayer.
I can't help but wonder if vinyl might be more comfortable, because it can flex more.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015   #54
bowtie39

Personal opinion is correct. Had a Laam on a '14 ES and tried again on a '07 ST. Neither worked for me past 200 miles. Went with the other CA maker. But I need to add I also sold the '14 ES after 950 miles and went with the current ST. So my opinion is questionable???

Last edited by bowtie39; April 28th, 2015 at 09:21 PM.
bowtie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015   #55
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
My Russell seat is leather, my first, not counting the Rick Mayer.
I can't help but wonder if vinyl might be more comfortable, because it can flex more.

I personally do not think so.
With leather you sit on it not in it and the longer you sit in it the less you can move.

Those that get in and out of a car with leather seats will understand what I mean.

And the biggest plus to leather is it breaths.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015   #56
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Once the leather is broken in, I like it better. It breathes better and holds up longer.

I also like that new leather smell.

YMMV
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old April 29th, 2015   #57
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

OK, I was trying to stay anonymous as being the cause in the renewal of this thread. With Redfish's update on the material of the seat for the FJR, I was ready to go with regular vinyl over the textured vinyl.
But noooo, you guys and your "leather is better" talk... now I'm rethinking the vinyl vs. leather decision I made after my initial discussion with the wife.
She, too, is a big fan of leather. On one had I do appreciate the finer qualities of leather, on the other hand I don't want to have to deal with the maintenance on something that is going to be sitting out in the sun(or rain) every day while I'm at work. They make covers, I know, but what with all the packing and unpacking and gearing up and gearing down whenever getting on and off the bike I don't need ONE MORE THING to do.
Old April 29th, 2015   #58
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

With regards to leather vs. vinyl...

I went with vinyl on all 3 seats because:

1. I live in a swamp. The humidity is always high. Very high. Leather does not like humidity but vinyl does not care.

2. I don't like extra maintenance and leather requires extra maintenance.

3. If you "waterproof" the leather with chemical treatments then the leather can no longer "breathe". Once you waterproof it, it becomes very similar to vinyl in regards to "breathing".

4. Seth Laam told me that based on my location, requirements, and habits vinyl was best for ME. He is the expert on what he builds so...

My personal opinion, which is worthless, is that leather is more comfortable because it conforms and stretches. Vinyl will stretch slightly, the chevron shaped stitch patterns in the top allow more stretch. However, the vinyl was a better choice for me.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary. (YMMV)
Old April 30th, 2015   #59
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

As far as maintenance, I put a little Lexol on the Russell seat probably once a year.

That's hardly "a lot" of maintenance.

I don't worry about waterproofing the seat. I have a rain cover that I can put on it but, generally I don't bother.

;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old April 30th, 2015   #60
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 150 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Once the leather is broken in, I like it better. It breathes better and holds up longer.

I also like that new leather smell.

YMMV
Are you one of those guys that sniffs bicycle seats?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote