ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Seats, Seat Pads, Risers, Pegs

Seats, Seat Pads, Risers, Pegs Ergonomics & Comfort

Old June 2nd, 2016   #31
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Installing Helibar riser, have a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
For those wondering what the fuss is all about a google search starting with SMC Problems and going from there will reveal numerous issues people have had and what a sticking SMC means to your safety.

Again changing the brake fluid regularly probably takes care of it.

No it doesnt.
For clarity I would add that Echo has previously advised people with binding brakes that get hot to try riding on through it to see what happens as repair advice, that kind of puts his technical ability in it's place.
Old June 7th, 2016   #32
arjay3rd

So I installed the Helibars...

After the long SMC discussion, that I wisely avoided, I figured I should give an update since so many of you quickly responded with such good info.

I did that install of couple of Fridays back and it went very well. I only dropped one washer, which thankfully lodged behind a hydraulic line. This allowed me to get to it with a long screwdriver and bring it back to reach. Other than that, as simple as you all said it would be. All of the lines were able to be flexed up a bit so I have no play issues.

I rode about 400 miles the next day and came home saying that this was the best $179 I had ever spent. People had been telling me about the bar risers but I had just never taken the bait. What a HUGE difference in the relaxed position now. I thought the ST was comfortable before, nothing like this. When I rode this Sunday, the same feeling hit as I was heading out of my neighborhood...what a comfortable ride.

I am planning another SS1000, possibly next month to visit my son who is stationed in Pensacola. This addition will make the ST an even better ride for what will be a 2,000 mile weekend.

Thanks to the group for all of the help!
IBA #62636
arjay3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016   #33
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

That is Excellent News. I am greatly pleased that you got some good out of this forum.

One of the things that I feared most was that a more upright seating position would adversely affect the handling of my ST. I was afraid of having less weight on the front wheel. I quickly adapted and front grip was never, ever an issue.

So... About that SMC...
Old June 7th, 2016   #34
Georgia dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
No it doesnt.
For clarity I would add that Echo has previously advised people with binding brakes that get hot to try riding on through it to see what happens as repair advice, that kind of puts his technical ability in it's place.
Which was the same advice he offered me when the shop insisted I needed a water pump, just ride until the pump failed. Really?
Georgia dawg is offline   Reply With Quote