ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: How many of you do your own Mechanical work on your ST?
Yes, I do all my own work. 117 43.66%
Yes, I do some of my own work. 134 50.00%
No, I don't do any of the work on my bike but, I wish I knew how. 13 4.85%
No, I don't do any of the work nor am I interested in learning how to. 4 1.49%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 20th, 2009   #21
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Re: How many of you do your own mechanical work on your ST1300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stpaul View Post
And even that can be dicey. I took my FR in for the alternator recall back in 2003. When I checked it in, the Service Manager was bragging up his staff...the best in the twin cities he said. Three hours I picked my VFR up and rode home only to discover an oil leak that put oil all over the side of the bike. Close examination revealed the tech had pinched the fuel overflow hose in the alternator cover. I didn't really need to say much to the SM, he was already very embarrassed. I did point out that this was exactly the sort of problem that makes customers very scared of dealer servicing. Almost makes me want to avoid even having them touch recall work.
You're absolutely right. It's repeated experiences like this that finally made me roll up my sleeves and do it myself in the first place. I discovered at a young age that I actually enjoyed the work and discovered that I had a knack for things mechanical. Wish I could say the same for electronics!
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009   #22
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Same here as far as motorcycles go.

I did do a stint as a car mechanic back when I was just out of high school before heading to college.

And, I continued to do my own work on my cars for things like brakes, oil, tires, etc.

But, after several very upsetting experiences with motorcycle mechanics messing things up on my ST1100, I started doing all the work myself. It dove-tailed in with my Iron Butt riding hobby anyway. Becoming familiar enough with my bike to fix it along the road by myself is a handy skill to have in those rallies.

Electronics now is another story. I know just enough to be dangerous so, I leave most of that up to my buddy, Mark Reis. He has me do all the work installing stuff under his guidance so that I know where all the connections, fuses, relays, etc. are in case I need to get at them or replace something. But he does all the design work for me based upon my desires and wishes. Plus, he gets to give me crap about how silly some of my ideas are. So, it's a Win-win for both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
You're absolutely right. It's repeated experiences like this that finally made me roll up my sleeves and do it myself in the first place. I discovered at a young age that I actually enjoyed the work and discovered that I had a knack for things mechanical. Wish I could say the same for electronics!
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009   #23
Rancher 240

I do the work of changing my tires. I've always taken the tire off the bike and tried to find somewhere that I didn't have to leave it to mount and balance. I purchased the Marc Parnes balancer and do the mounting and balance myself. Seem to go through tires because of the way I drive so I'm able to keep an eye on brake pads. It was real hard at first to approach anything on this bike as I found it to be near perfect as it was. Like people I found that we/ it are not perfect. The riser trans action was so so that I didn't scratch anything in the process. Oil changes do myself and always have been a valvoline person but have stayed with the Honda Gold on this. The head light up grade took some convensing but after I coverted stock to the Philips 9003 it opened up the road for night riding. My low beam lights flood the road with light. Just this weekend I hope that the man in the UK doesn't get up set but I completed the add on Gold Wing armrest adding a piece a cross the top for support. We road tested Tina loves them. As for the engine it would take a lot of convencing to go there. I spent 28 years Corp. truck fleet mech. if it ain't broke don't mess with it.
Rancher 240
Rancher 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009   #24
Big Blue ST

I do alot of my work. The only thing I haven't done are the recalls and valves. A friend of mine bought a tire changer last year and now we do that. This year the bearings will be changed with the tires, bleed the brakes and clutch and new pads also. Just put a new distibution block on to clean up the farkel wires. Also while the plastic is off, the coolent will be changed. Helps winter get out of here faster. (or so it seems)
STOC#867
2012 Concours14
2004 ST1300 sold
1998 ST1100 sold
1991 ST1100 sold
IBA
Big Blue ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009   #25
jd257

I do anything I need to do on my bike, if I don't know how I research it and then do it, helps having buddies that are almost all mechanics of some sort or another.
I had an electrical problem, some may remember my writing about it about a year and half ago, m y right hi-beam would stay on after turning the hi-beams off, until I 'flashed' the starter button, then later it would not even go off, after about a year of pulling my hair out (for those that do not know me, I am bald anyway. LOL) I found the problem to be the smaller wiring harness under the cowl, turn, running, windshield wiring was bad, $100 replacement, the right turn/running light wires had gotten shortened from rubbing something.
jd257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009   #26
jh2rc97

I do all my own work. I do not do Honda warranty work, but I do all my tires and anything else on or in the bike. I have rebuilt several Honda V-Fours and they are great motors.
jh2rc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009   #27
rodm850g

Guys,
Reading through this thread I can't help but feel more of us would do more of our own work if we knew what we were doing, had training on motorcycles soomewhere to work and tools to do the work. Not slamming all dealers{my local dealer to be slammed} but there seems to be an almost universal distrust of them. It may start at the front door{sales floor} at the parts desk, the service desk...I dont know but there seems to be a repeating sentiment among riders dealers are out to get ya.
I know times are tough now but for the last few years there was an influx of riders buying right and left...and with little support from some of the local dealers its kind of a let down, we invest in what I feel are high dollar
toys and the support isn't there so we become weekend do it yourselvers...As long as things stay the same at the dealers I'll learn to do more and more of the work on my lil fleet of bikes...
Rod
Old January 25th, 2009   #28
jh2rc97

During high school and part of college I worked at the local Honda dealer doing setup/make ready and light mechanical work. Which led into larger mechanical items. This is the point where the shop manager took me to Long John Silver's for lunch and did his speech about becoming a full time mechanic. Since I was in college I respectfully declined. Several of the mechanics had certain strong areas and weak areas and after working with about four of these guys for a few years I decided that I can do all my own work and would not trust any of these guys to work on any of my bikes. One of the guys had the best intentions but could not troubleshoot to save his life. The only guy that did a good job ended up opening his own shop so he was not wrenching anymore. It is very hard to find a good mechanic. Anyone that wants to wrench on their own bike has this great forum that Joe has put together to ask questions and get answers and advice. Also there are courses in some areas to learn general motorcycle mechanical things. I think some are offered at community colleges. Also tires are a very easy thing to do if you have the equipment.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009   #29
bromaninpan

I dont have the tools nor the area. I would love to do my own repairs but I just bought it and the needs as not arouse. I just got my first service. I went a little long....2892 miles but the Honda techs checked out my baby and she was just fine. I love this bike. I love my wife for convincing me to get it.
bromaninpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009   #30
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 151 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Time, lots of it, that's what it takes me.
The insanity of Honda, putting the air filter in a spot that can't readily be serviced on the road, is absolutely nuts.
I'm replacing a throttle cable, that is buried even deeper.

I just don't get in a hurry. I have until Spring, to finish.
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote