ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: How many of you do your own Mechanical work on your ST?
Yes, I do all my own work. 117 43.66%
Yes, I do some of my own work. 134 50.00%
No, I don't do any of the work on my bike but, I wish I knew how. 13 4.85%
No, I don't do any of the work nor am I interested in learning how to. 4 1.49%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th, 2009   #11
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.
Default Re: How many of you do your own mechanical work on your ST1300?

So far (42,000) I have done all of my own work except for tire mounting. I have checked the valves but when they need new shims the dealer can do it. I will pull all plastic off first. Bought a bead breaker and balancer and will start doing my own tires since no local shop anymore. Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009   #12
jimjam
Donators

I try to do as much as I can myself. Winter is a great time to do maintenance and farkling, because around here, you can't do anything else. My local MC mechanic sells me tires at a discount, M&B for free, so I'm not inclined to purchase & store tire changing equipment. Otherwise, I do it all myself. A decent set of tools, the Shop Manual, and a little confidence in your mechanical ability is all you need. Funny thing is, I don't do anything on either of my cages but put gas in them. Dealers do everything.

I've been lucky with my '03A - no t-stat or any other problems. But I have always over-maintained the bike (so maybe I've flushed out all the crap that makes them stick open). Most years, I have only ridden 3-4K miles, so I change all fluids annually during my winter teardown. I've also installed a ton of accessories - autocom, horn, GPS, radar, MC cruise, risers, alarm, FPR, a lot of lighting "improvements", etc. This year, I'm adding right angle valve stems, a TPMS, and a G2 throttle tamer. Valve clearance checks, Starter valve sync.(a waste of time after the first adjustment - but when you have the airbox off, what the hell) are time consuming, but not difficult if you have a manual, and in some cases allow you to "improve" things for maintenance (e.g., replace the vacuum tubing with longer pieces so you can relocate the 5-way connector up to where you can actually reach it!).

My point is "don't be afraid to try". Get a shop manual, and start small. Build confidence. The tupperware is easy, if you pay attention to the different fastener sizes and lengths. Use good tools (including a torque wrench) so you don't strip or round-off the fasteners, and take your time. Use this forum for help and tips - you will learn a lot, as I have. Before long, your bike will look like this pic I took last winter:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 teardown 2sm.jpg (29.4 KB, 121 views)
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009   #13
na1g

I do just about everything except tires. Never invested in a tire changer and I watched the independent shop guy who did my last set STruggle and cuss over the rear B'STone 020, even with his commercial machine. This spring I'm going after the valve check myself for the firST time.

LaST year I had the dealer do fork seals. When I got home I found two pinch bolts little more than finger tight, a few snug, and none properly torqued. The ST sure isn't going there for a valve adjustment! I can do better than that myself; it'll just take me twice as long.

pete
na1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009   #14
Keith Land

I do my own routine maintanance such as fluid changes and install any of my after market accessories. I prefer to have my mechanic do tire changes, but have done my own wheel removals in the past (usually out of necessity).
Keith Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009   #15
sbixby

I do everything I can possibly do - except the warranty work which Honda requires the dealer to do. In my case, it was the wiring & proportioning valve recalls, and a rear shock replacement.

I have "privileges" at my local tire source to use their equipment, so I get to do my own tires on a commercial rig, too. I'd willingly pay their charge for tire changing to use the rig, but I like the satisfaction of doing it myself and that if I scratch the wheel, it's my own darn fault.

As far as the BT020 on the back - if I use the appropriate lube, it's always gone on quite well for me. This rig has a roller press arrangement - you slide an arm out to the rim, hydraulically lower the roller onto the tire and about an inch below the rim, then take efforts to ensure the bead stays in the center of the wheel for best clearance, and it spins on quite easily. If I cared to hurry, I could swap out a tire in about 3 minutes, but I take it slow "just because".
sbixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009   #16
rodm850g

Talking Re: How many of you do your own mechanical work on your ST1300?

Guys,
As my minoe fleet grew in the last few years, I had a need for somewhere to work. A 10x14 shed is not a proper place for man towork on his bikes, but I did it for a long time...I now have my "Old Guys Garage" and am happy to be in it. There is a lift, compressor, welding kit acet,mig...love to have a plasma cutter but it will come....I used to work for a living{with hand tools } in an auto body shop and when I quit thaty I kept all of my tools and over the years added things I needed to work on the bikes. So when my garage went up all of that went in there.....I also have a NoMar tire changer and a balancer too.
It was last year when I hit the mark for a full service on my 04 ST and up on the lift and I have the air/hydraulic model from Harbor Freight. It lifts my ST without problem either way. All the tupper ware stripped away it sure looks strange .....but I took it on and found a couple of other things not mentioned ny anyone else....it does one good to do this kind of work to your own bike...knowing all the bolts that came out are back where they came from.....tight too. Then factor in how much money you just saved makes ya feel good.....Some don't have facility, desire ,or have funds to not have to worry about doing it themselvesand thats ok too...I do enjoy bonding with my bikes...like the old GS850GN I am in mid resto of....I've owned it for over 20 years and its always been a good old bike to me so iy was time for a new lease on life for him....I await Spring...in my "Old Guys Garage"......

Rod
Old January 18th, 2009   #17
STPaulK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
The only time the dealer works on my bike is if it involves a warranty claim, otherwise, no one puts a wrench to her but me!
And even that can be dicey. I took my VFR in for the alternator recall back in 2003. When I checked it in, the Service Manager was bragging up his staff...the best in the twin cities he said. Three hours I picked my VFR up and rode home only to discover an oil leak that put oil all over the side of the bike. Close examination revealed the tech had pinched the fuel overflow hose in the alternator cover. I didn't really need to say much to the SM, he was already very embarrassed. I did point out that this was exactly the sort of problem that makes customers very scared of dealer servicing. Almost makes me want to avoid even having them touch recall work.
STPaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009   #18
RTR

Up to a few years ago I never did a thing myself. A friend of mine showed me how to do oil changes on my Goldwing (ride at the time). I was just wow! That was simple enough. I have not evolved much from fluid changes. However, since I am no longer working swing shifts. Straight days now. I will be able to take advantage of night school courses in Motorcycle Mechanics. Let the learning begin!

RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009   #19
Pat's ST1300

Cool Re: How many of you do your own mechanical work on your ST1300?

I am a mechanic by trade. AMI graduate in 1977, been working in the field for years. I now work on bikes as a hobby. Restoring, rebuilding, and fixxen' is what i love to do. I won't work for a dealer, the local Honda dealer yells at me for "taking their Business". The local dealership is terrible, so folks come to me, cause I do good work, and don't charge an arm or a leg...a diet Pepsi is all I need. No one,and I mean no one touches any of my machines other than the man himself. I just restored a CB 200 into a retro cafe racer. I did my rims on my 03 ST in yellow,and a ton of modifications. I will post some pictures.
Pat's ST1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009   #20
jimjam
Donators

Can't Wait !!!
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote