ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: What Auxiliary driving light do you use
PIAA 910's 12 66.67%
Other (please explain) 9 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18th, 2008   #1
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default PIAA 910's or something else?

The old favorite auxiliary driving light was the PIAA 910 (or 912) but, newer HID auxiliary lighting has many benefits.

Tell us what you use and why.

STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008   #2
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: PIAA 910's or something else?

I use PIAA 910's right now along with HID's in my headlights but, I am thinking about trying out some PHID's.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old December 18th, 2008   #3
Randoman

Currently I am set up with PIAA 910's running 55Watt PIAA Halogens and I also run a set of Hella FF200 HID's.

I have run the PIAA's for over 10 years on 3 bikes and they have been a great set of lights. However, there is no comparison between them and the Hellas FF200 HID's. They both reach down the road but the Hellas give a far wider pattern illuminating the ditches as well as much farther down the road. When the HID's come on I feel like I might as well turn off the PIAA's.

The PIAA's do however provide a nice transition from seeing everything to see nothing from the stock lighting.
Some may not like the large diameter of the Hella's @ 5.25 inch but they have not been an issue for me. They do present a larger radar reflective signature but to this point that has not gotten me any tickets.

They are mounted above the stock headlight assembly using the BLM mounting brackets and are rock steady.http://www.spoiledbiker.com/blmst1300.html.

My lighting package of 55/65's in main headlight assembly + 55 watt PIAA's + 37 Watt HID's allow me to run heat, music, CB and all other options without worry about overdrawing the charging system. I contantly monitor the charging system thru the Passport 8000 and my GPS.

The only downside to the HID's is their extreme brightness. When there are no cars visible I can use all lights, when a car is 3/4 to 1/2 mile away I dim the HID's and when the car is 1/2 to 1/4 mile away I back off the PIAA's and High beams.

On an open road they are great. On a secondary road at night I feel comfortable running at slightly above posted limit.

Like Warchild says, it is a sobering experience to see exactly how many deer there are out there at night. Even with all that illumination you have to respect the fact that some you do not see until they move.

If I can reccomend anything on lighting and the final config whether it be PIAA or Hella's HID or Halogen, the higher you mount the aux lights the happier you will be. For that reason I do suggest the HLM bracket regardless of your final choice of aux lights.

There is a picture of the lights on my bike on this site at http://www.st1300.us.com/album.php?albumid=36

Hope that helps

Rando
Randoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008   #4
Coop

Piaa 910t.....................
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008   #5
jimjam
Donators

35w Electrical Connection Aux driving lights mounted on the forks, 55/60w Silverstars in the mains. Plenty of light for the northeast. If I lived out west however, I'd need more for "performance testing" on those long straights!
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008   #6
Andy Kirby

910's are for girls, full HID is the ONLY way to fly......<grin>

Andy
Andy Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008   #7
Coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Kirby View Post
910's are for girls, full HID is the ONLY way to fly......<grin>

Andy
Coop stomps off to take the ruffles off of his skivvies!!
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008   #8
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

<LOL>

I remember when we were putting on other wide-angle lights to "fill in" our night blindness when we turned off the PIAA 910's and you're using THEM to fill in for when you turn off the Hellas?

Holy merde!

Dude, what do you do when you turn off both of them, use a cane to feel your way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoman View Post
Currently I am set up with PIAA 910's running 55Watt PIAA Halogens and I also run a set of Hella FF200 HID's.

I have run the PIAA's for over 10 years on 3 bikes and they have been a great set of lights. However, there is no comparison between them and the Hellas FF200 HID's. They both reach down the road but the Hellas give a far wider pattern illuminating the ditches as well as much farther down the road. When the HID's come on I feel like I might as well turn off the PIAA's.

The PIAA's do however provide a nice transition from seeing everything to see nothing from the stock lighting.
Some may not like the large diameter of the Hella's @ 5.25 inch but they have not been an issue for me. They do present a larger radar reflective signature but to this point that has not gotten me any tickets.

They are mounted above the stock headlight assembly using the BLM mounting brackets and are rock steady.http://www.spoiledbiker.com/blmst1300.html.

My lighting package of 55/65's in main headlight assembly + 55 watt PIAA's + 37 Watt HID's allow me to run heat, music, CB and all other options without worry about overdrawing the charging system. I contantly monitor the charging system thru the Passport 8000 and my GPS.

The only downside to the HID's is their extreme brightness. When there are no cars visible I can use all lights, when a car is 3/4 to 1/2 mile away I dim the HID's and when the car is 1/2 to 1/4 mile away I back off the PIAA's and High beams.

On an open road they are great. On a secondary road at night I feel comfortable running at slightly above posted limit.

Like Warchild says, it is a sobering experience to see exactly how many deer there are out there at night. Even with all that illumination you have to respect the fact that some you do not see until they move.

If I can reccomend anything on lighting and the final config whether it be PIAA or Hella's HID or Halogen, the higher you mount the aux lights the happier you will be. For that reason I do suggest the HLM bracket regardless of your final choice of aux lights.

There is a picture of the lights on my bike on this site at http://www.st1300.us.com/album.php?albumid=36

Hope that helps

Rando
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old December 19th, 2008   #9
maura
Super Moderator

I'm a girl, and I have just bough a set of PIAA 600 HIDs to replace my PIAA 910s. Does this mean I have gender identity issues?

I was running 100w H3 bulbs in the PIAAs, and with them could run very comfortably at autobahn speed. I have the stock bulbs in the main headlights. No charging issues with my 910 bacon fryers.
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008   #10
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Even girls need to see, Maura.

Let us know how you like those lights. I'm toying with the idea of doing something like Randoman and adding even more.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218