ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: Is there an abrupt throttle problem?
Yes, we need a fix for this. 26 31.33%
No, riders just need to ride more and get used to their bikes. 57 68.67%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28th, 2009   #21
The Reg

Default Re: How many of you think that there is an Abrupt Throttle Problem?

It's just that all Fuel Injected bikes are more abrupt than Carby ones....it's just the nature of the beast. I've Had three injected bikes now....HD - 3 and ST...they're all 'abrupt'! I prefer the Carby jobs from that point of view, but I guess I'll just have 'ride around the problem'!

Paul.
Old January 28th, 2009   #22
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I had a 99 Hayabusa. Think the ST1300 is twitchy? Try one of those Busa's.

But, it WAS a smoother transition as you twisted the throttle than the ST.

So, Honda definitely COULD have done a better job. Instead, they didn't bother and we had to go with an after-market product to fix the issue.

I refer to the G2 Throttle Tamer. See in the Group Buy section.

Unfortunately, the Group buys are over and they won't be doing another one, or so I'm told by the owner of that company.

I'll let you know if that changes but, right now it doesn't look good.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009   #23
RolandO
Donators

Here I am in the snow and ice waiting to test the G2. Must be nice to be riding. I still have 62 sleeps until Clyde see pavement.
Tel: (250) 862-2014
Cell: (250) 808-6800
STOC 893
roliynyk@telus.net

RolandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009   #24
treebeard

+1 on the G2

STOC 6396
IBA 30315

06a
85 v65 saber

A trip of a thousand miles begins
with a gas receipt ...
treebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009   #25
uptoblackwood

A perspective.....more of a ramble....

The ST1300 is a machine. There are lots of machines we call motorcycles. They all work a little bit differently. Some good, some ok and some not so ok. Also....riders are not all created the same...so they work a little bit differently as well. Some good, some ok and some not so ok.
I am an orchestral clarinet player. I perform in the Dallas Opera orchestra. I use a machine.....the clarinet, to make a living. Making small changes to a machine can sometimes yeild very good results. I think this is the case with the G2 TTamer.

From my perspective, most if not all machines, can be made to work better. There are all kinds of factors that end up limiting what a machine can do. (like money spent) :-) I started my clarinet experience on a "student line" clarinet....it worked just fine but was no where near what I perform on now. My current "Professional" level clarinet is a dream compared to what I started on. It would be like comparing an early Nija to what the guys racing professionally on the track, supported by factory techs, are using. BUT....they are both clarinets...and many listeners would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between the two...when played by a professional level player. The same is pretty true with motorcycles. I've seen great riders make the worst of bikes/situations look easy to ride/control.

So....people are going to have different experiences with different bikes. There will even be a difference from one ST to the next when you talk about things like throttle response. It might be that only really good riders will be able to tell the difference if change is very small. Which brings me to the point, again....that some people will never know/notice/understand the differences in a change....and others will think any change is huge....either for the good or bad. Add to that....some people won't care, so don't even consider a change (good or bad) to be important.

Start with what you have....if you can change it for the better....do it. (I know, I know...time and money) I bought the G2 T Tamer and installed it this past month. I like it...a lot. The technology is simple but really, really smart. The G2 TT may not be the difference between a "beginner" clarinet and a "Pro" version....but it's a very good improvement over the stock throttle tube assy. for certain....and I don't think the price is all that bad for the advantages it offers up.

YMMV

Forest
uptoblackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009   #26
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Good points, Forest, and I would agree.

However, sometimes I wished that we had a "nicer" version of the ST1300 available to us that was more refined, etc.

Kind of like what Acura is to Honda, Lexus is to Toyota, and Infiniti is to Nisson.

Instead, we have to build our own, so to speak. But, there is a lot of fun in that too.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old January 29th, 2009   #27
uptoblackwood

Joe

It would be great to have a more refined bike. Small things that are just not right on the ST1300 could be addressed in very short order...it would only take Honda spending some money....and I guess....us too...in the end.
Things like the lousy digital display on the dash. Just no real excuse for a company like Honda NOT addressing this issue for so many years. A great addition over the years would have been tire monitor systems, better seat, make the plastic easier to take off/on, offer GPS systems and something I think would sell like hotcakes....a first rate communication system. I just don't get Honda not offering a bike the the ST without an comm system. External power plugs for things like heated clothing, accessories...etc.
The change from bikes with carbs.....to FI systems was a perfect example of a bunch of engineers, involved in the narrow area of FI....not really understanding/responding to the issues the change caused. It's sad that over as many years as FI bikes have been on the market...that an engineering change as simple as the G2 throttle tamer wasn't offered up by the Mother Ship....as an improvement. It took a 3rd party to think it up....build it and market it. Joe at G2 has Yamaha factory dirt bikes with his product....seems a reasonable/inexpensive solution. Remapping/injector technology changes...etc. are all probably a lot more expensive and may not solve the problem any better than Joe's throttle tamer.

I for certain don't have a clue about the cost accounting/marketing/sales of bikes....but solutions to a few known problems sure seem easy to solve from my side of the street. :-)

Forest

Last edited by uptoblackwood; January 29th, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
uptoblackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009   #28
The Reg

Yeah, it would always be nicer to have more/better etc.

Thing is I bought the ST for a few reasons;

Right Size
Elec Adj Screen
Enough Power
Good Brakes/Handling
Good Luggage System
Large Fuel Tank
V4 Motor
Reasonably good Value for Money.

If had a lot of the extras mentioned above and had been within a couple of grand a BMW R1200 RT, I probably would have gone for the BMW.
Old January 30th, 2009   #29
Jerrysc1

I didn't think much about it - did replace the fuel pressure regulator with the turbo city unit and it made a little difference but not enough to justify the cost or effort to replace it.
Jerrysc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009   #30
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I think that the TC FPR mostly effected the "hesitation" in certain RPM ranges that is induced by Honda on purpose to meet emissions standards. It didn't really help on the low speed abruptness that this thread talks about.

The hesitation for the ST isn't nearly as bad as it is on the VFR. For the VFR, there is a distinct loss of power right around the 7000 RPM range (if I remember correctly, it might be lower). As long as you just keep twisting the throttle through it, you don't notice it. But, if you just happen to be going a speed where the RPM is sitting right in that range, the bike is very "on and off".

The explanation that I've heard is that Honda's mapping leans out the bike (or maybe it's enriches the bike, I don't recall) in that RPM to pass emissions standards.

Please, if there are others here who know more, please pipe up and correct me. But, that is what I seem to remember about it.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218