ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: Is there an abrupt throttle problem?
Yes, we need a fix for this. 26 31.33%
No, riders just need to ride more and get used to their bikes. 57 68.67%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9th, 2008   #11
tomSTickler

Default Re: How many of you think that there is an Abrupt Throttle Problem?

I have HeliBar risers, so there is less pressure on my hands. When I installed McCruise control, I deliberately made sure there was a little slack in the throttle cables so that I could ride without unconsciously fighting the cruise control.

After 26,000 miles, I seem to have gotten used to the ST's response, and would not consider it abrupt.
Old November 9th, 2008   #12
AllezLesBleus
Donators

I got an 05 also and like Mitch96 explains in "issues and fixes" the bike does wiggle a little bit if I let go the throttle in a turn. I took the slack out at the grip but I can still feel the jerking. Maybe I'll fix it with the G2 thing or maybe not; I may just live with it.
AllezLesBleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008   #13
Marshall

Having come off of a big heavy Royal Star Venture, was not used to
the fantastic throttle response of the ST ... totally different and it took
me almost 3 hours of riding the bike home from where I bought it, in
pouring down rain, to get used to it ... No problem at all after that ...

Had more problem with the overall quickness of the bike than I did
throttle response .. Difference in over 200lb less weight, smaller tires and
more guts to play with, very quick on the slightest movement of the bod,
shift of weight, left to right, .. Each little bod movement I made, the bike
would react to it ... That took almost a week to overcome, BUT ....

I love this bike ..
http://bludolphintravel.com/gmg
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008   #14
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Hi Herb,

Although I don't have a problem with the ST's throttle, I agree that it could be better plus, I am always looking for new farkels and ways to improve the bike.

I heard about the G2 Throttle Tamer a few weeks ago and thought that it might be just the ticket to help improve the throttle response (I agree that the ST's throttle could be a bit more refined).

I called Sam and we talked for several minutes about the product and the possibility of a group buy for our forum members. He said that they were in the process of gearing up for the ST1300 and that it would be coming off their production line in a couple of weeks (the one that you and others received earlier were pre-production models).

I received the G2 Throttle Tamer just last week and installed it yesterday and then tested it out.

The installation was very easy (although there are a couple of details about the throttle cables and housing that you should be careful about when replacing the ST's throttle tube and I will document those in my write-up later).

I already have the TurboCity 60 psi Fuel Pressure Regulator and that also helps with this issue. The Throttle Tamer now makes it almost impossible for me to be abrupt on the throttle. The combination of the two devices absolutely TAMES the ST's dreaded sensitive throttle.

It was very hard for me to go against my riding habits with this throttle. I am so used to going easy on it and using the friction zone that to make it abrupt went against all my habits and training. But, I managed to test it. I tried everything I could think of but, about the only way I could get an abrupt response was to just jam on the throttle (i.e., goose it abruptly) or just pop the clutch (which I do not recommend, BTW).

I wasn't able to test this without my TurboCity FPR but, I think it will really help all by itself too.

If anyone complains about the ST having an abrupt or sensitive throttle after installing the Throttle Tamer, they will need to go immediately back to the MSF's Basic Riding Course and take a refresher on the "Friction Zone" and what it is used for. And if anyone here says, "what's a friction zone", we will need to you.

I will be calling Sam at G2 Ergonomics this week to organize our group buy steps and price as we talked about earlier.

I will also be writing up an installation article and my test ride review and will post the group buy info in a separate thread later this week.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt8810 View Post
Here is my take and some posts by me from the old forum.
Yes it is too abrupt. Can you get used to it? Yes, but why when there is an easy fix.
There is an article somewhere on the web about puting a piece of #10 or #12 wire on the cable pulley at the fuel injection end to do about the same thing as the throttle tamer. I didn't like the idea of a piece of wire getting loose and jamming up the throttle. Installing the throttle tamer is easy.

8/29/08
This company makes replacement cams that mount at the handle bar for a variety of machines.
G2 Ergonomics
Sam Wancket
905 Locust Drive
Rock Falls IL, 61071
815-718-5860
www.g2ergo.com
sam@g2ergo.com
Didn't see one for an ST1300 so I sent an email. Here is the response.
"Hi,
I have to check. I know that I do but I need to make sure.
Sam"
" I am sorry for the delay but it was because we had to order an OEM throttle for that bike to make sure. We did not have an application so we went ahead and have designed one. So as of right now, YES we do have a Tamer throttle for your bike. If you are interested email me back and I will instruct you on how to order.
Thank you!!
Sam"
I know nothing about them but this was certainly a customer friendly response.
Has anyone tried such a thing on another motoercycle?
I think I'm going to order one. If I do I'll report on the results.

9/12/08
I ordered a Throttle Tamer from G2 Ergonomics $59.95. It should have come this way from the factory...great improvement.
Here is ordering info: (email to me from G2)
Hi,
If you go to this link,http://g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/G2-Ta...amaha-223.html and order it and in the comment section type that you would like part # 40-500. I will make sure you get the right part.
Thank you!
Sam

9/14/08
One 400 mile day was enough to convince me. Yes taking the slack out of the throttle cables helps a little but this is a big improvement over that change. At first it seemed a little slow but I think that was from compensating for the too quick OEM action. I did not have this problem with my '93 750 Nighthawk or '82 500 Silverwing.

Herb '03ST
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008   #15
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Here's an update on the G2 Throttle Tamer and Cam system.

Sam and Gary are preparing a Group buy 20% off price that will be good for 7 days. It is not up on their web site yet but will be by sometime tomorrow just for US!

They will be emailing me the particulars after they get their web site adjusted for this and I will pass on the information to you here and on another thread in our GROUP Buy sub-forum.

So, stay tuned...
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old November 10th, 2008   #16
st13fundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Here's an update on the G2 Throttle Tamer and Cam system.

Sam and Gary are preparing a Group buy 20% off price that will be good for 7 days.
20% off $79.95 is $63.96. Thanks for working this out!

Will these work with the Hondaline grip heaters?

Thanks.
Matt
st13fundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008   #17
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

It might not be $79.95 for this. The retail price listed on their web site for the ST1300 right now is $59.95. So, 20% off is $47.96.

However, I could be wrong. With the special Delrin bushing inserts (which is what they sent to me to test), they are $19.95 more. So, it might be $79.95. And, I'm pretty sure you'll want these Delrin bushing inserts. The tube is aluminum and might rattle a bit without the bushings. Plus, the bushings help to make the throttle even smoother turning.

But, I'll check to find out which price they're thinking and what it includes.

Here's a description of the Throttle tube with the Delrin bushing insert (which is what I tested yesterday):
G2 Tamer Throttle Tubes for Yamaha.
Upgrade to our new throttle tube with Delrin inserts! The Delrin model has Delrin bushings inserted in both ends of tube. This eliminates any aluminum-to-aluminum contact. It has the feel of a ball bearing throttle tube, but it is far superior. Ball bearings rust and freeze-up after a few washings - so they must be constantly cleaned and lubricated. Our Delrin model will not rust or corrode. This is the system used by Mike Lafferty, Grant Langston and the Yamaha Supermoto team, to name a few.

The Delrin model upgrade adds an additional $19.95 to all G2 part numbers that have the Delrin model option.
And yes, these will work with Hondaline Heated grips. That's what I have on my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st13fundred View Post
20% off $79.95 is $63.96. Thanks for working this out!

Will these work with the Hondaline grip heaters?

Thanks.
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delrintubes.jpg (32.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg tamer.jpg (30.6 KB, 158 views)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; November 10th, 2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old November 10th, 2008   #18
st13fundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
It might not be $79.95 for this. The retail price listed on their web site for the ST1300 right now is $59.95. So, 20% off is $47.96.
That sounds even better. I got the $79.95 list price from this link (with the Delrin inserts). Didn't see any other $59.95 prices/options for the ST.
st13fundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008   #19
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Oh, I see. There is an drop-down option to choose the regular throttle tube OR the tube with the Delrin Bushing insert. The regular tube is $59.95 and the one with the Delrin bushing is $79.95.

So, I imagine that you are correct. It will be 20% off whichever one you pick.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old November 20th, 2008   #20
RolandO
Donators

I would go with the abrupt throttle action and the throttle tamer fixed the problem.
Tel: (250) 862-2014
Cell: (250) 808-6800
STOC 893
roliynyk@telus.net

RolandO is offline   Reply With Quote