ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: do you enjoy group rides
yes I prefer group rides 1 2.13%
no, I prefer solo 19 40.43%
I like a mix of both 27 57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 18th, 2014   #21
horst

Default Re: group rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldiver View Post
I've only gone on a few group rides but they were regimented, start now, stop then and only there, eat here for this long and finish here at this time, stay in formation thru out...
well, that is kind of the point in a group ride isn't it ?

or you could ride with the Harley bunch and do whatever you want ... HA!

horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #22
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldiver View Post
I find I'm the opposite. I've only gone on a few group rides but they were regimented, start now, stop then and only there, eat here for this long and finish here at this time, stay in formation thru out.
When I'm alone I stop when I want, where I want.

What you describe sounds like cruiser group rides. I've been on one and hated it! I found it not fun at all from having to deal with the large, close formation riding, and the fair number of very inexperienced riders. I also don't like the regimented BS. I ride to relax, not to practice disciplined formation behavior. Reminds me too much of the military.

Rides with 2 to 3 experienced friends I find very enjoyable. We usually have several stops where we relax, BS, kick the tires, and generally enjoy the camaraderie before we shove off for another leg. Also, we in no way ride in formation. We're usually 4 or 5 seconds or more from each other.

Jeff's comment about stopping to flower sniff holds true for me as well and I'm not sure why. When I'm by myself, I'll see something interesting, tell myself I'll stop, then don't! My urge to keep moving and see what's over the next rise is just too strong I guess.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #23
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
What you describe sounds like cruiser group rides. I've been on one and hated it! I found it not fun at all from having to deal with the large, close formation riding, and the fair number of very inexperienced riders. I also don't like the regimented BS. I ride to relax, not to practice disciplined formation behavior. Reminds me too much of the military.
Or a BMW club ride. Got invited to go on one by a BMW owning co-worker. Very regimented, even a review of hand signals, group rules and riding order assignments before departing from the meeting location - good grief we were riding maybe 10 miles over to a new BMW shop that was having a grand opening. There were maybe 10 - 12 riders in the group and, upon arrival at the new shop, about half of them started complaining that so and so had broken this rule and what's his face broke that rule. Since I was at the back (another rule for newbies in their group) and could see everyone, I never noticed anything I thought worth commenting on.

Since newbies are last, the second to last rider is charged with keeping me in sight of his rear view mirror. Boy did he do a big eye roll when he was assigned that spot. As it turns out that was not a problem!

Once we got to the new shop they were all complaining about the new bikes. It was like they were resigned to accept it because they could not conceive of owning a bike from any other manufacturer. Coolaid city. Went on a ride after of about another 60 miles - more complaining!

Dunno if that's typical for BMW groups but I declined further invitations from this one!
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net

Last edited by Wjbertrand; February 18th, 2014 at 01:08 PM.
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #24
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
Or a BMW club ride. Got invited to go on one by a BMW owning co-worker. Very regimented, even a review of hand signals, group rules and riding order assignments before departing from the meeting location - good grief we were riding maybe 10 miles over to a new BMW shop that was having a grand opening. There were maybe 10 - 12 riders in the group and, upon arrival at the new shop, about half of them started complaining that so and so had broken this rule and what's his face broke that rule. Since I was at the back (another rule for newbies in their group) and could see everyone, I never noticed anything I thought worth commenting on.

Since newbies are last, the second to last rider is charged with keeping me in sight of his rear view mirror. Boy did he do a big eye roll when he was assigned that spot. As it turns out that was not a problem!

Once we got to the new shop they were all complaining about the new bikes. It was like they were resigned to accept it because they could not conceive of owning a bike from any other manufacturer. Coolaid city. Went on a ride after of about another 60 miles - more complaining!

Dunno if that's typical for BMW groups but I declined further invitations from this one!
Just tell them no, because they wouldn't be able to keep up with you.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #25
Donald2012

''Rides with 2 to 3 experienced friends I find very enjoyable. We usually have several stops where we relax, BS, kick the tires, and generally enjoy the camaraderie before we shove off for another leg. Also, we in no way ride in formation. We're usually 4 or 5 seconds or more from each other. ''

It's also my way to drive
Donald2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #26
cldiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

Rides with 2 to 3 experienced friends I find very enjoyable. We usually have several stops where we relax, BS, kick the tires, and generally enjoy the camaraderie before we shove off for another leg. Also, we in no way ride in formation. We're usually 4 or 5 seconds or more from each other.

Jeff's comment about stopping to flower sniff holds true for me as well and I'm not sure why. When I'm by myself, I'll see something interesting, tell myself I'll stop, then don't! My urge to keep moving and see what's over the next rise is just too strong I guess.
I ride with one guy once in a while. We have no real rules except don't lose the other guy. I can get as far ahead or behind as is reasonable but I can't leave the main road without waiting. It's a very relaxing ride because I know he's out there ahead or behind but rarely in sight. We've done a few 1000 kms days and they were great.

I find when I'm traveling on multi day trips I tend to be like that for the first 2 or 3 days. I think I just want some distance. After that I tend to stop and take a picture or look at something interesting. When I plan a trip I allow for this by reducing the distance to cover some days.
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #27
cldiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
Boy did he do a big eye roll when he was assigned that spot. !
I swear I would've apologized to who ever invited me, got on my bike and left right here.
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014   #28
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

Back in '03 when my ST 1300 was new I was coming back North in the Sierra's towards home at Lake Almanor. (I was alone). Passing through Quincy I noticed a big BMW rally at the fair grounds. Decided to check it out and the jerks at the gate wouldn't let me go in for a quick look ? How stupid.

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014   #29
Lanny

Cldiver, you've started the same thread on ST-Owners and here. You should have lots info when you're done.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014   #30
horst

in some areas, the BMW gang is the only sport-touring group

they are a good bunch overall .... 1) they ride (as opposed to just talk about it) ..... 2) many ride great distances even .... 3) more than a few are 'open' to riding and even owning other bikes (though this took some time - HA!)

between Gold Wingers, the H-D crowd, or BMW - I'll take the latter pls
horst is offline   Reply With Quote