ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: do you enjoy group rides
yes I prefer group rides 1 2.13%
no, I prefer solo 19 40.43%
I like a mix of both 27 57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3rd, 2014   #11
Superdirk
Donators

Default Re: group rides

I really enjoy riding with my brother in law. He has a GW, very similar riding style. We make a couple of day trips and one or two 4-day trips together per year. We both love camping, riding, messing with gasoline stoves and kites. Just planning a 5-day tour of Scotland end of May right now. .

Bigger groups tend to cause trouble in my experience. Last group ride with 7 bikes : 2 tip-overs (not the ST, phew) and one guy cut-off by and ending up below a tractor (no injuries, phew again).

So Solo or 2-3 bikes tops and it's Safe and Fun !
Superdirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014   #12
cldiver

I've had women tell me they like group rides because they feel safer and usually they're not terribly experienced and learn in that environment. I can understand that.
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014   #13
hollywood91

I have one friend that I ride with on a regular basis. He rides a C14 and I have an 05 ST. We have the same riding style and stamina so it works well. There are several others that I ride with 2 or 3 times a year, we're all in the over 60 club and all with sport touring bikes. They tend to ride longer days than I, but I enjoy their company and we've all been friends since, well forever. As for the large group rides, I have had to do a couple over the past few years that were organized as fund raisers for local charities. I am not comfortable on these rides as they mix up the kinds of riders, bikes and types of roads. More importantly, they almost always ride in formation. If one rider makes a mistake, more than one rider is going down. As far as I'm concerned, these rides are an accident waiting to happen. Just my 2 cents worth.
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014   #14
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood91 View Post
As for the large group rides, I have had to do a couple over the past few years that were organized as fund raisers for local charities. I am not comfortable on these rides as they mix up the kinds of riders, bikes and types of roads. More importantly, they almost always ride in formation. If one rider makes a mistake, more than one rider is going down. As far as I'm concerned, these rides are an accident waiting to happen. Just my 2 cents worth.
Yep, I feel the same way. As a result, I don't do charity rides.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014   #15
Saxo

If you ride with one other machine is this a group ride?
Saxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014   #16
cldiver

No, I should have offered more choices. For me more than 5 riders is a group ride. That number seems to require a level of organization that 4 doesn't
Old February 17th, 2014   #17
horst

after 30+ years of riding, I have two modes -

1. Solo - sometimes you just need the time alone, to think (or not) and get the cobwebs out .... nothing does this like a long (or short) motorcycle ride

2. Small group - and I mean 2, 3 but never more than 5 or 6 good buddies, proven riders whom I know and trust .... a beer is fine after the ride - on a ride only caffeine

soap box mode off .....
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014   #18
Saxo

No two people ride the same for a myriad of reasons therefore the one or more other rider(s) in a group become a liability in my opinion.

Once looked at joining a M/c Club here in New Zealand called Ulysses, which was inaugurated to cater for riders over 50 years of age. (I am 64.) I joined in their next sortie only to find myself boxed in, dangerously overtaken by riders who thought they had something to prove and invariably arrived at the next stop as a tail ender just as the speed merchants were taking off again. Enough said?
Saxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014   #19
Wjbertrand
ST guru

One reason I don't mind small group rides occasionally is that we'll tend to stop and smell the flowers more often. Left to my own, I'll almost never stop just for the hell of it. I often regret not capturing a few photos when I'm alone. Group stops give me a chance to do that.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014   #20
cldiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
One reason I don't mind small group rides occasionally is that we'll tend to stop and smell the flowers more often. Left to my own, I'll almost never stop just for the hell of it. I often regret not capturing a few photos when I'm alone. Group stops give me a chance to do that.
I find I'm the opposite. I've only gone on a few group rides but they were regimented, start now, stop then and only there, eat here for this long and finish here at this time, stay in formation thru out.
When I'm alone I stop when I want, where I want.