ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

Old March 8th, 2013   #11
Marshal_Mercer

Default Re: ST 1300 Pan weave issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
I actually considered adding some airfoils to the sides of the fairing in an attempt to use them to generate down force, much as rear spoilers are used on some racecars.

;-)

Never got around to trying it, though.
You already have them. Look at the shape of the tip-over wing covers.
Marshal_Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013   #12
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Nope, they're not angled down enough to do any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal_Mercer View Post
You already have them. Look at the shape of the tip-over wing covers.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013   #13
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Angling them downward to create down-force is going to weight the front end. If the bike is shaking it's tail weighting the front end is not going to help and may even cause the tail to shake harder.
I do not believe the tip over wings are in the air flow as much as you would think and certainly not enough to affect air flow.
Look at the road spray pattern and you get a fair idea as to airflow around the fairing.

While a interesting theory I do not think you are getting the required air flow at the saddle bags to affect how they cut through the air. Any airflow getting to the bags would first need to get by/get through your legs. I do not have a air flow problem on my legs that would almost certainly be felt if it was getting to the bags.
I also run a water jug on my right side passenger peg. The combination of my leg and the water jug would block or at the very least disrupt the air flow at the bag and one would think if you disrupt or block air flow on one side it would enhance any problem by the now unequal pressure on the bags.
Also those with any mileage on will attest that the bags are no longer as tight as they once were. If there was enough flow on the bags to affect movement in the bike it would only make sense that it would "rattle" the bags so to speak. Enough air flow to rattle the bags would almost certainly be heard if not felt.
If you have cross winds to the extent they are causing air flow problems at the bags one would have to question what you are doing running triple digit speeds in cross winds to start with.

In my opinion
this is all about about bike setup.
Those that have the proper suspension setups for their weight and load seem to have no problems or have moved any rear end shake to speed levels well in excess of or near double the legal speed limit.
Again in my opinion if your purchase decision is based on an event that may or may not happen at arrestable speeds you are missing out and have missed the point as to what the ST1300 is all about.
Second to none all day touring comfort.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; March 8th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013   #14
BURNOUT

I agree Paul. The suspension / bike needs to be set up properly. The ST is WAY undersprung. My 13 was as stable as could be running 144-146.... But, I took the time to get it right.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
STOC #949
Syracuse, NY

BURNOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013   #15
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I probably agree although I still think that aerodynamics might have some influence too.

As I mentioned earlier, adding a RaceTech suspension to my second ST1300 improved its high end speed. Perhaps if I had them tweek it some more, I might be able to totally eliminate the issue but, it just wasn't worth that much to me since I don't ride that fast. (shrug)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013   #16
TimM

Additional foils... okay, I can add a cruise control and then I have my hands and arms to play with this new farkle idea- like we all did as kids when a passenger. Thumb up hand climbs, thumb down hand dives. Get into a weave, hit the cruise, then see what forces help !!! I'll need additional test pilots though. Any volunteers?

On the serious side, if Honda could reproduce it, I think they'd have done something about it. But something as input sensitive as a weave - air buffeting, road irregularities, rider response - hard to reproduce under controlled, testable circumstances like wind tunnels.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013   #17
maura
Super Moderator

A larger aeroflow windscreen resulted in high speed weave issues, at around 120 mph. With the V-stream windscreen in the lowest position, plus givi topbox, I have recorded 144 mph per GPS rock solid no weave. Off public roads, of course.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013   #18
skier207
Donators

My bike used to hit the Pan Weave right at 118mph(gps). Now with the CT on I hit 120 (gps) and no weave. I can't say that the tire that changed it but I have made no other significant changes. I am still running stock suspension, windshield down, a top box, and a BT023GT front (previously a std BT023 front).
If it helps in my experience this is a different condition that the death wobble caused by loose parts or a damaged bike. As soon as I let off the throttle the weave stopped. Not out of control but it gets your attention.

All of the testing not on a public hyway of course.

Last edited by skier207; March 9th, 2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling
skier207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013   #19
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

What is the roll out measurement of the car tire?
Any idea of the roll out measurement for either of the 023's?

Paul
Old March 9th, 2013   #20
STevie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier207 View Post
My bike used to hit the Pan Weave right at 118mph(gps). Now with the CT on I hit 120 (gps) and no weave. I can't say that the tire that changed it but I have made no other significant changes. I am still running stock suspension, windshield down, a top box, and a BT023GT (previously a std BT023 front).
If it helps in my experience this is a different condition that the death wobble caused by loose parts or a damaged bike. As soon as I let off the throttle the weave stopped. Not out of control but it gets your attention.

All of the testing not on a public hyway of course.
?Is this with the CT also on the front?
STevie1 is offline   Reply With Quote