ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: Which windshield is best?
Stock 49 39.84%
Clearview 24 19.51%
Calsci 9 7.32%
Cee Bailey 13 10.57%
Rifle 2 1.63%
AeroFlow 8 6.50%
V-Stream 16 13.01%
Other 8 6.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 22nd, 2008   #21
maura
Super Moderator

Default Re: Which Windshield do you like best?

Stock was horrible for me. Have almost perfect stock screen taking up space in my closet.

I then used an aeroflow barn door for 50,000 miles. It had excellent straight-on wind management, and was very quiet. The downside was I lost at least 5% on the gas mileage, and was terrible in strong crosswinds, passing trucks, or triple digit speeds. On closed courses with professional driver, of course. It is pretty beat up, it is now nesting with the stock screen.

Now I have the CalSci. It is pretty good. Rock solid in cross winds etc, and at full throttle. WInd noise moderate, but I can live with it. Gas mileage back uo 5%.

I am not yet satisfied, so I am planning on trying the V-stream. I'll report back on that.
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008   #22
onetrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
I am VERY surprised that the majority of you prefer stock over an aftermarket windshield.

Do those of you who prefer stock do so because you haven't tried an aftermarket windshield?

I found that the stock windshield was terrible for causing back pressure for the rider (i.e., pushing the rider forward when raised) and caused some really bad turbulence for the passenger.

An aftermarket windshield with either a vent or a laminar type effect cured the back pressure. An aftermarket windshield that was wider cured the passenger buffetting issue.

So, those of you that prefer stock, have you actually tried an aftermarket shield and, if so, which ones did you try?

I've tried the following:
  • Stock (couldn't stand it)
  • Cee Bailey's (six inches wider and my wife was happy) That didn't sound right.
  • Stock with Laminar Lip (caused a loud buzzing sound at speed)
  • Rifle (totally useless)
  • V-Stream
  • Aeroflow (I'll use this one for winter and cold)
  • Calsci (summer and hot weather riding)
I agree with stock. I use a small Cee Bailey with vent for summer. They claim that it is -2" high and +2" wide. It's actually about the same height from the top mounting points but the vent brings a lot of air in and eliminates the back pressure. Not as quiet as I would like. The thing is very thick, built like a tank.

I cut my stock shield down by -7". Yes, it's very short. I'm going to cut another inch or two down before next summer. If you want to try it, just take your shield off and get on the interstate. Laminar flow is good and no weaving in truck backwash. I use this one when it's 95 degrees on up and that's about 10 - 12 weeks.

Now I'm looking for a winter shield as I ride 12 months a year. Cee Bailey just lets in too much air.

Scott
onetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008   #23
gug1953

Stock shield works well for me. Just the back pressure thats a bit strange but not annoying.

Several mentioned catching the wind to relieve the pressure on their wrists. You want to explore Heli Risers being that is a good remedy to that problem. It will eliminate it.
gug1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008   #24
OldWingit

Location: Chester Ca. Lake front home on Lake Almanor in the N. East Sierra's.

Perhaps, but since I mostly ride twisty secondary roads I like the sportier riding position.

Ed
OldWingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008   #25
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Squeezing your knees on the tank and then using your legs to support you a little will take some of the weight off your wrists also.

But, if you aren't used to doing that, you'll soon forget and relax. It takes practice to get your body to "remember" to keep squeezing.

The wind helps and the Heli-bar risers help too. But, I have a pinched nerve in my neck which causes muscle spasms in my back. I'm going to be getting an operation that should relieve that but, I'm also going to add GenMar risers on top of the Heli-bar risers to get myself totally straight up and down. That should totally eliminate the back issues.

I'm torn between getting a CalSci windshield for the summer riding or a Clearview.

Decisions, decisions...
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008   #26
Bubba Claus

I recenlty bought a Cee Bailey's +2H, +6W for winter riding, with the NACA vent. I thought the shield provided for quiet still air for the rider with the exception of the air coming through the NACA vent, which blew right in my eyes. I sent the shield back because it created the illusion of a hump in the road that was perpetually in front of me that negatively affected my depth perception and balance when setting the bike into curves. The production mgr and shop foreman at Cee Bailey's said there was no defect. I'm getting a refund, but they're charging me a restocking fee saying I'm returning a perfectly good windshield. So, beware of Cee Bailey's.
Bubba Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008   #27
dznx1f
Donators

One of the best things you can do is cut the top of the shield flat (like older BMW's).
dznx1f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008   #28
jimjam
Donators

I didn't have any real problem with the stock shield, but when it started showing fine scratches and wouldn't "release" the bug guts very well, I started researching replacements - mostly from reviews / recommendations from fellow liSTers followed by trips to manufacturer's websites. I decided on the Aeroflow, and am very happy with it. The laminar flow plate really smooths the air with the shield almost all the way down, and with the shield up (like in the rain), I stay dry like I'm in my cage (as long as I'm moving!). It works well for me.
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008   #29
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I had a Cee Bailey's (stock H, 6W) on my first 2003 ST1300.

No problems what-so-ever in regard to visual distortions that bothered my depth perception while riding.

Of course, I ride looking over my windshields and not through them. innocent

It eliminated the back pressure and wind buffetting for my passenger. It IS a lot thicker than most windshields, however.

I'm surprised at the number of riders who prefer the stock windshield. I wasn't surprised by the next higher choice being a Clearview. I loved my Clearview on my ST1100 and expected it to be a favorite for the ST1300 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Claus View Post
I recenlty bought a Cee Bailey's +2H, +6W for winter riding, with the NACA vent. I thought the shield provided for quiet still air for the rider with the exception of the air coming through the NACA vent, which blew right in my eyes. I sent the shield back because it created the illusion of a hump in the road that was perpetually in front of me that negatively affected my depth perception and balance when setting the bike into curves. The production mgr and shop foreman at Cee Bailey's said there was no defect. I'm getting a refund, but they're charging me a restocking fee saying I'm returning a perfectly good windshield. So, beware of Cee Bailey's.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008   #30
SilverSTreakMD

I can't vote because I haven't tried them all. But I just did replace the stock with a Rifle Sport and it does seem to have cut down on the turbulence and noise significantly, which is what I wanted. So I plan on keeping it.
SilverSTreakMD is offline   Reply With Quote