ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: Would you pay $50 for this safety gadget?
Yes, sounds like a good idea 11 31.43%
Safety, Smafety, I'd rather spend the money on other gadgets and gas 5 14.29%
Maybe, need to think about it. 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 1st, 2011   #11
maura
Super Moderator

Default Re: Safety Lighing Poll

Thanks Rod, I will wave from the plane when I pass your house in NC
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011   #12
ohioscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post

....Unless you miss the disco era and are having a party in your garage, I agree with DP, should be banned if they are not already.

Happy New Year everybody!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHWeuQyFouo

I did not miss the disco era I missed it. I am doing what I can to keep disco music alive though. I think you are onto something here.

How about a disco ball FARKLE with rotating spotlights that light up the ground under you ST like a disco dance floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhDiWkdnMbQ

maybe a fog machine FARKLE for when you are stopped getting gas or a little dance break on the road

Disco will never die as long as I am alive

I need a disco smiley
ohioscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011   #13
Superdirk
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
Why set up a poll, and then put such a strong bias in the possible answers? You should have included a simple "No, I am not interested in this device." rather than implying that anyone who isn't interested in it takes safety lightly.

I think headlight modulators and other devices that make lights appear to flash should be outlawed. That method of garnering attention should be reserved for emergency vehicles.
+1 right here !

I also think the Poll is too biased. Safety is really important for me. I am adding several taillights, LED blinkers, etc. because they make me more noticable in traffic. But headlight (and taillight) modulators are distracting to other drivers and are NOT improving safety in my opinion. They should be banned.
Superdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011   #14
ohioscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue STreak View Post
J
http://www.smidsy.biz/

He's got some interesting accessories that go beyond the typical headlight modulator-------------------------------. One of the devices he sells is designed to flash the 4-ways for 5 seconds when you brake hard, as an additional warning to drivers behind you. I've been talking to him about a different warning device; one that will flash an auxiliary LED brake light automatically, for about 5 seconds, when you decelerate without using the brakes. I know that I frequently slow with just engine braking, and in traffic that provides no warning to cars behind me.

John's come up with a design, but to decide whether it's worth producing he wants to get some idea of how much interest there is.

Would you be interested in such a device at a price of about $50?
Looking back at this thread I think it has gotten way off the orignal topic ( I know my Disco Post did not help either I am sorry I just love promoting Disco whenever I can).

The question above as I read it and I edited the original post a little in an attempt to highlight the question I see.

1)Are we as a group of MC riders interested in a device that would pulse brake lights during hard braking? for under $50

2)Are we as a group of MC riders interested in a device that would flash brake lights during hard deceleration without the rider actually tapping the brakes? for under $50

It seems to me that both devices warn of a slow down just as if the rider tapped the brakes. From what I am reading it seems like a legal FARKLE and like most FARKLES would you spend your $50 on it?

* I voted maybe to the brake light downshift/compression braking warning trigger device because I do this a lot and try to be good about tapping the brake lever but this device would ensure the brake lights went off every time there was a hard deceleration warning the driver in back so I don't get a Ford up my REAR. I like the idea I am on the fence about ease of installation and adding more stuff to my ST but would consider it at $50.
ohioscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011   #15
Blue STreak
Super Moderator

Here's an update from John. Lower price, slightly different functionality. Does this change anyone's mind?

Quote:
I do have another idea though based on software, using the same module as our auto hazard flasher as you originally suggested. Of course it would still have the associated up/downhill issues but the software would not allow the unit to be continuously flashing the auxilliaries in the twisties. For example, no activation allowed within x seconds of the previous deceleration event. Time x could also be made to automatically increase/decrease based on the number of decel events in the previous minute or so, effectively providing a little intelligence (amoeba level) to the unit where it recognises different riding conditions and adjusts to suit.

There would also be a connection to monitor the brake light and this would instantly output to the auxilliaries as soon as the brakes are applied.

There can be a Steady or Flashing output option at installation time.

I think it would also need say a 0.5-1.0 second delay before activation to allow upshifting without activating the aux lights.

The downsides are:

Steepish downhill gradients will activate the aux lights once for say 5 seconds and won't reactivate even if decelerating until bike is back on level ground.

Unit will be less sensitive on uphill gradients and may not sense a deceleration event, although there will be some natural compensation as the uphill component will increase the decel rate.

Upsides: Reliable and much cheaper to produce, should work out at about US$35.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this along with any suggestions for improvement.

Last edited by Blue STreak; January 11th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
Blue STreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012   #16
jim wilson

i installed one of these LED Flasher units for about the same price.
BUT
this LED unit has a little more to it than what is suggested in this thread

The E4 Series is here with light output and features second to none. The E4 features 4 incredibly bright 1 Watt 3rd Generation LEDs. The E Series feature 21 built in Flash Patterns and are fully synchronizable with other E Series lightheads and feature a high/low power setting. The E Series are fully encapsulated, which makes them 100% waterproof and vibration resistant. Designed by professionals for professionals the E Series are designed for primary warning, not "auxiliary or secondary warning" like so many other similar lights sold today. The E4 Series lights offer greater flash pattern selections, superior light output, synchronize capable, in an easy to install flush mount design. Optional Single Mount available below can be used to mount the units behind a grill, on a rear deck, push bumper, or from a headliner.

Brake Light Feature: Not shown in our video, our newest addition to the E series of lights is the brake light override available in the Red color only. When you order the light in Red with the Brake Feature, not only can you use the lights in the normal warning mode(flashing) but you can wire the lights to your existing brake lights and the lights will go from warning mode to solid red when the brake is applied and back to warning mode when the brake is released. This feature should only be used with your existing factory installed brake lights and is not designed to replace your factory lights.

http://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-...-LED-1089.html
Features:

21 Flash Patterns
Synchronize with other E Series Lights
SAE Rated
All Aluminum Single Mounts available
Weight .2 Lbs
Dimentions L 4.25" x H 1.25" x D 1 "
Completely Waterproof
5 Year Warranty
12/24 Volts DC
1 Watt 3rd Generation LEDs
Instructions Included
Optional Chrome Flange available below.
Optional Single Mount & 4-way License Plate Mount also available below.

I made an angle bracket but those are available if you want one. Installed it under my luggage mount so if I do remove my top box the light stays w/ the bike. this 4 light LED is VERY bright and I'm happy.... so is my wife.

photos soon
jim

Last edited by jim wilson; December 26th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
jim wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012   #17
tempus

You will find the P3 lights by Skene Design to have many of the same features. I installed the P3 and Photon Blaster lights last summer. I placed the Photon lights on the front and tied them in with my P3 brake lights. The Photon lights flashing in the front when I brake are technically illegal in Kansas, but I have yet to be stopped in any state. I very pleased with them and would install them on any bike I would have.
http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/
tempus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012   #18
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Just curious as to why you'd want your front lights to flash along with your brake lights?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012   #19
steved
Donators

I've found the hyperlites annoying like brights in your face at night....I don't
like the idea of flashing them at someone making a left turn in front of
you cause some yokel is likely to think your giving him the ok to turn.....
It's a tough question to answer cause alot of serious accidents are caused
by people who claim they didn't see you. I had a VW beetle left in front of me in
1975 and the guy claimed he didn't see me......That's part of ridin I guess
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012   #20
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
I've found the hyperlites annoying like brights in your face at night....I don't
like the idea of flashing them at someone making a left turn in front of
you cause some yokel is likely to think your giving him the ok to turn.....
It's a tough question to answer cause alot of serious accidents are caused
by people who claim they didn't see you. I had a VW beetle left in front of me in
1975 and the guy claimed he didn't see me......That's part of ridin I
guess
Right. If they ran over a child on a bicycle would they claim they "didnt see" them?

I suspect not because that would imply carelessness on their part. Which might lead to charges of negligent homicide if the child was killed. Come to think about it, kill a child with your automobile and you might be in a kettle of trouble.

Now...a motorcyclist that is another story! Didnt see him ossifer! Why...those motorcycles are plain INVISIBLE! Caint hardly make em out you know? I just plain dont understand why they ride those things! Motorcycles are dangerous! If they want to ride them well they better be prepared to take the consequences!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; December 28th, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote