ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: Would you pay $50 for this safety gadget?
Yes, sounds like a good idea 11 31.43%
Safety, Smafety, I'd rather spend the money on other gadgets and gas 5 14.29%
Maybe, need to think about it. 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 24th, 2010   #1
Blue STreak
Super Moderator

Default Safety Lighing Poll

John Hayes runs a business in the UK manufacturing and selling safety accessories. The business is SMiDSY (Sorry, Mate, I didn't see you.)

http://www.smidsy.biz/

He's got some interesting accessories that go beyond the typical headlight modulator and brake flasher, although he sells those, too. One of the devices he sells is designed to flash the 4-ways for 5 seconds when you brake hard, as an additional warning to drivers behind you. I've been talking to him about a different warning device; one that will flash an auxiliary LED brake light automatically, for about 5 seconds, when you decelerate without using the brakes. I know that I frequently slow with just engine braking, and in traffic that provides no warning to cars behind me.

John's come up with a design, but to decide whether it's worth producing he wants to get some idea of how much interest there is.

Would you be interested in such a device at a price of about $50?
Blue STreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010   #2
na1g

Default Re: Safety Lighing Poll

Loaded immediately for me.

Interesting stuff. Might be worth installing on my next bike instead of the Hyperlites I've used for years. Thanks for the post.

pete
na1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010   #3
ohioscott

I like the idea of the deceleration device... If it were about $50 and shipping did not kill me I may consider it. It would have to be a plug and play device or a simple learn device that would work with out interfering with my other FARKLES like my gear indicator??

I do use my clutch a lot and I try to be diligent about tapping the brakes to signal my slowing but I know I don't do it every time.

it is a nice thought
ohioscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010   #4
rodm850g

Thumbs up Re: Safety Lighing Poll

Hi Guys,
I guess so far I'm the odd duck out I always cover my brake w/ two fingers and keep the hand for throttle needs...oh yeah and I'm cheap too....
Hoping this whiteout situation we have now will be gone soon...
Rod
p.s.
we are supposed to have temps in the 60's New Years Day...might go for a ride....
rod
Old December 27th, 2010   #5
DanK

Why set up a poll, and then put such a strong bias in the possible answers? You should have included a simple "No, I am not interested in this device." rather than implying that anyone who isn't interested in it takes safety lightly.

I think headlight modulators and other devices that make lights appear to flash should be outlawed. That method of garnering attention should be reserved for emergency vehicles.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010   #6
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 125 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

And they are illegal in many countries, including here in the UK. If I see modulating headlights coming up behind me I immediately know it's fire, police or ambulance and dive out of the way. But I accept the poll is USA based and you guys tend to fit all sorts of flashing dooferwhatsits all over your bikes.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010   #7
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

na1g: From what I see on their site, these are just modules, not a replacement for Hyperlites. You would still need some sort of light.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010   #8
Blue STreak
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
Why set up a poll, and then put such a strong bias in the possible answers? You should have included a simple "No, I am not interested in this device." rather than implying that anyone who isn't interested in it takes safety lightly.

I think headlight modulators and other devices that make lights appear to flash should be outlawed. That method of garnering attention should be reserved for emergency vehicles.
Well, sorry Dan. I was just attempting bit of humor. I think you can still choose "no." As for outlawing them, you're entitled to your opinion but those of use who have tried headlight modulators and brake light flashers of some sort know from experience that they are life savers. Running a modulator in front cuts down the number of times people turn left in front of me, or pull out from side streets and parking lots in front of me by at least an order of magnitude. That's why they are expressly legal for motorcycles in the US Federal Motor Vehicle standards.

And I noticed right away, after adding hyperlites to my bike years ago, that people didn't pull up as close behind me when I slowed or stopped, and after seeing them flash didn't follow me as closely.

In the US, in particular, car drivers just don't see us a lot of the time. Feel free to ride your nearly invisible motorcycle in traffic. I'll do what I can to stay visible and alive thank you.

Anyway, the point of this thread isn't to rehash the debate over headlight modulators. It's to see if there's enough interest for John to put this device into production. No one will force you to buy one.

Last edited by Blue STreak; December 28th, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Blue STreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010   #9
maura
Super Moderator

Hey, I need these here in the BVI when I 'forget' which side of the road I am supposed to be driving on...just kidding, I hardly ever drive on the right side anymore.

I would never put any such device on my bike because I prefer to annoy people up close and personal, rather than passive aggressive attention seeking devices which could lead to a false sense of security.
Don't get your knickers in a knot all you modulator fans, just expressing my opinion, feel free to disagree, and don't forget to cite your controlled engineering studies that prove these devices 'save lives'

....Unless you miss the disco era and are having a party in your garage, I agree with DP, should be banned if they are not already.

Happy New Year everybody!
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011   #10
rodm850g

Thumbs up Re: Safety Lighing Poll

Maura,
As always making friends and influencing people, by the way I might be partying in my "Old Guys Garage" me n the Capn, Har I'm with you and the other respondent..I don't go for the passive aggressive....I'll hit em with a boat load of HIGH BEAM all the time.....one fellow ST rider here has tendency to weave back n forth ...in his lane approaching a intersection...w/a cager in it......thats hard to miss big ole Red ST1300 back n forth...hope you enjoyed your time on vacation.....
Rod