ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
carter

Default Fuel pump not turning on. F1 light not coming on

Problem is fuel pump not turning on. Full disclose. Leading up to the problem.

Dropped the bike on Saturday morning. Started right up and got some gas. Ran fine for over 100 miles and several starts and stops that day no problems. Sunday morning bike starts right up, go 1/10th of a mile for gas. Turn it off, get gas turn it on, turn around in the parking lot for a photo op at Hemmings in VT. Go to start it, F1 light stays out and fuel pump doesn't start up. Checked the fuses, wiggled wire bundles nothing.

Found a thread online that said to disconnect the battery for a bit. About 10 minutes, boom, starts right up? Runs fine up and over Molly Stark highway (rt9). Stopped at Hogback but left bike running. Pulling into Brattleboro and it starts to stall but while I'm still moving it starts again. That happened several more times randomly. Stopped 50ish miles later, bike turns off won't start. Disconnect battery again and wait 10 minutes. Starts right up. Stalls again several times on highway but moving it starts right up again. After 150 miles I make it home, turn it off open garage starts right up and drive it in.

Anybody experience similar and is there any checking or parts replacement before taking into a shop scratching me head?

I now remember some other problem. With the key removed the ignition lights and running lights were still on. The headlight wasn't on just the signal lights and the small lights next to the headlights.

Last edited by carter; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:28 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Default Re: Fuel pump not turning on. F1 light not coming on

I see that You had similar problem a while ago . . . http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=4115

Where you able to get any FI code out of the computer this time ?

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
carter

the last time i took it to a Honda dealer and they cleaned a bundle of contacts under the front cowling. And that was a couple of years ago and the bike has been fine since this weekend.

I do not have any info on the codes if there were any.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
chaissos
Donators

Once corrosion starts....

You might need to rip into it and clean that bundle again. There are a few under there. I don't know what they did to it, but try treating the connections when you put them all back together.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
the last time i took it to a Honda dealer and they cleaned a bundle of contacts under the front cowling. And that was a couple of years ago and the bike has been fine since this weekend.

I do not have any info on the codes if there were any.
Check for any stored code(s) in the computer .The diagnostic red plug is located under the passenger seat on the right side . . . follow code reading procedure in shop manual .

No shop manual . . . take a look at post # 31 where Jeff describe the procedure in details http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread....ocedure&page=4

Please report the result . . .

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
carter

I have traced my particular issue down to this ground wire bundle. I believe others have had problems with this same wires. it is on the right side if you are sitting on the bike up behind the headlight console.

My problem was the wire number 8 that you see with the tape on it. I cleaned with CRC Electronic Cleaner and greased it with dielectric. Hope this will prevent any future corrosion.

It is a difficult group to access, so be ready to remove most all plastic in the front. The bundle has short wires so there is no easy way to reach it without removing the plastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg groundWires.JPG (79.9 KB, 24 views)