ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Other

Old March 20th, 2017   #1
Acadian

Default Fuel problem

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 120%; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif","Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Noto Sans CJK SC Regular"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "FreeSans"; font-size: 12pt; } Hi,

I have a little problem … but long story.

I have a 2008 ST1300 bought new … and last year I turned 100, 000 miles at the end of the riding season … and had to store the bike a little earlier than expected.

Had no problem whatsoever, till this riding season.

At first, I had an uneasy feeling … at times, cruising in 5th gear, without stressing the engine, I had a feeling of ‘softness’ in power delivery … ever so slight, I thought that it could be my imagination or just the road condition that was affecting the ride … in those cases, I usually kept a steady hand on the throttle.

Other than that, nothing special … I always had plenty of power on tap without the slightess hesitation.

Then one day, at a roadside stop, with very soft ground/dirt, as I was slowly making a turn, legs straddling the bike, it got away from me … touched the front brake … sudden stop … engine stalled … front wheel dug in 4 to 6 inches … almost dropped the bike.

Started the bike … no problem … slowly crept to the roadside … got on the road and slowly started to accelerate, going through the gears. As I got to 60 mph and in 5th gear, the engine felt like it was going to stall … turned the throttle … more or less OK. Had to go down to 4th gear, and keep over 70 mph to keep a steady ride. Fortunately, isolated road through the woods, no traffic, no cop, plenty of curves … would have been a fantastic ride were it not for fear of stalling.

Got to a small village about 10 miles away … slowed down … no problem … got into a service station parking lot … moved around in 1st gear, low rpm … OK … decide to ride across town and come back to parking lot … about 2 miles … everything OK.

Decided to risk a ride home … isolated area, no cell reception … everything went fine. Once in a while, the usual ‘softness, but nothing special.

Got home OK … next few days took a few short rides … no problem … figured I got some dirt in the fuel system.

Took a few long rides, putting in over 2 – 3000 miles … everything OK, except for the usual softness once in a while.

Then, one day as I was getting close to home … low on gas … low light came on … usually good for 50 – 60 miles … figured no problem … about 20 miles to home.

At an intersection, slowed down for the red light … engine started jerking as though I was openind the throttle hard while braking … engine stalled … started … had to keep revs high so as not to stall and struggled to the gas station just across the intersection. Filled her up, went home without a trace of problem.

Rode another 2 – 3000 miles … no problem.

Then one day as I rode across a small village during a western festival, about 1 – 2 miles, stop and go through heavy trafic … no problem … outside of town, statrted to accelerate, all hell broke loose … very violent jerking … bike stalled … waited a while, tried to move again, nothing doing. Called a tow, and got home.

Decided I had enough … decide to chance a 45 mile ride to the dealer … everything went fine.

They checked the bike, said the only thing not up to par was one spark plug a bit loose … tightened all plugs to spec … rode the bike … claimed everything was fine.

Rode the bike home … everything was OK. They told me that the loose spark plug could explain my problem but would not confirm 100%.

Getting wary … decided to just ride around home.

One day, decided to ride the national park in my backyard … about 100 miles … mostly 3rd and 4th gear as plenty of curves … everyting OK. Going through town , approaching a red light, extremely rough jerking … bike stalled … very hard to move to close by parking lot.

Not knowing what to do, noticed that after the bike cooled down a bit, could ride for a while. Waited 10 minutes … started the bike and rode for about 5 miles … when it started acting up, moved to the side and stopped. 10 minutes later, rode another 5 miles home.

Later, bike had no problem starting up in below freezing weather … idling smootly … no problem, but I had enough. Decide to store the bike for winter.

This is where I now stand … based on discussions … my comments were :

– doesn’t feel like it is a gas filter problem … when bike OK, no problem riding hard … 70 to 80 mph … nor idling.

- doesn’t feel like it is a pump mechanical problem.

- when bike cools down, problem seems to disappear for a while … spark plug, pump elecrical problem, electrical wiring problem? Seems to be heat related.

Any clues?

I am not sure replacing pump would solve anything!

Any info would be welcome.

Ken
Acadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017   #2
wwall

Default Re: Fuel problem

It sounds to me you may have a fuel pump problem.
wwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

First check - Fault Codes.

Any Fault Codes showing up?

Paul
Old March 21st, 2017   #4
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

If bad turns to worse and it is a pump.
Aftermarket fuel pump and related part numbers.

http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=3702

Paul
Old March 21st, 2017   #5
Acadian

Thanks for the replies!

No fault code detected at any time.

However, when the problem was occuring, I was too concernedt with getting out of the way or trying to keep the bike running, I did not look down at the panel.

But in any case, I never saw the FI light up in any way.

Ken
Old March 21st, 2017   #6
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Battery terminals clean and tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017   #7
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 153 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Do you use any fuel stabilizer, when you store the bike?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017   #8
Acadian

I always use StaBil when storing the bike ... come spring, the bike always fires up on first attempt.

Battery taken out every fall ... winter on battery charger especially for bike use ... re-installed every spring. Battery terminals clean as far as I remember.

I always use super gasoline ... and only at nationwide gas stations with good turnover in gas supply. Also, I never fill up after a gas station has been re-supplied ... that is when I am aware of such a case.

Looking at the fuel connections under the seat, everything seems OK.

Spark plugs are replaced on a regular basis ... OEM only. Coul a cracked insulator on a spark plug cause such a problem?

If only the bike would just stall and stay dead, my problem would be easily solved.

Ken
Old March 24th, 2017   #9
PaulRB
The Grouch

Possible heat related and what sounds like fuel delivery issue.

Any noticeable change in fuel mileage?
Dropped off suddenly?

Easy look-see stuff.

Take a look at the Cats. (Catalytic Converter)
Both sides the same color?
Discolored cats point to fuel issues BUT fuel issues can be electrical in nature, wiring at the coil.

Time/Mileage on fuel filter?
Service history records should tell you this.

A cracked insulator/cap spark plug?
Other than a visual check difficult to find but might be worth pulling the caps for a look-see and while they are off pull the plugs and look at/for any differences in color at the electrode area between the four.
Two cylinder differences (1/3 or 2/4) point to coil usually wiring at the coil.
Intermittent may/may not show up in codes.

Pain in the butt look-see.

Wiring at/to the coils.

5 Way joint plugged?
This one should show up in the codes, Map Sensor.

Paul
Old March 25th, 2017   #10
Mick
Loquacious Member

Some of your symptoms sound a lot like a fuel pump or clogged fuel filter problem.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote