ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old August 17th, 2017   #1
ron47

Default Exhaust cans

I am getting old! My 2005 came to me with a nice set of Staintune cans. Not really loud (I have not checked on a quiet baffle yet) but kinda noticeable. I Ebayed a set of stockers last night as my first "improvement". Gawd! I remember thinking a Muzzy sounded just right on my ZX12!
ron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017   #2
ibike2havefun

Default Re: Exhaust cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron47 View Post
I am getting old! My 2005 came to me with a nice set of Staintune cans. Not really loud (I have not checked on a quiet baffle yet) but kinda noticeable. I Ebayed a set of stockers last night as my first "improvement". Gawd! I remember thinking a Muzzy sounded just right on my ZX12!
When I bought my '04 it came with the Staintunes the OO had installed, but not the inserts that tamp the sound down a bit. After a year or so I got a set of them, because my neighbors are FAR too good to worry about hacking them off. The pipes as originally configured were not exactly *loud*, and the pipes with the extra reducers in them are not as quiet as OEM setup but noticeably less noisy.

They still hear me in the mornings but nobody complains. And damn, they still sound good.

You may be able to strike a deal with a member here or one of the other ST forms for a swap, and in fact you may come out ahead financially in the deal. Fresh from the factory, Staintunes sell for over $1400 (Australian) these days, according to the Staintune 2017 product list:

Honda ST1300
HO MS ST 13 All models Honda ST1300 Sports slip on muffler set Removable Restrictor PR $1,400.00

Of course it also says the company is for sale, as of July 7 this year. The new owners, when they emerge, may change the policies...

Good luck to you!
Now to try to wear it out.

Last edited by ibike2havefun; August 17th, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017   #3
ron47

I need to see if there is an insert option on these anyway. I know they weigh a few pounds less than the stockers and that in itself is a positive.

$1400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy camoley! I thought Akrapovik (sp?) products were expen$ive!
Old August 18th, 2017   #4
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron47 View Post
I Ebayed a set of stockers last night as my first "improvement".
Your neighbors will appreciate you reverting to the stock cans.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017   #5
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 110 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Ron, the Staintunes are among the priciest and therefore the most sought after cans for the ST1300.

I will echo what ibike2havefun said, if you advertise a swap and a money exchange on either this forum or... the Other Forum you will win financially.

FWIW, the weight savings from the stock mufflers to the Staintunes is not as much as you might think. And with that weight held down low on the bike coupled with the heaviness of the ST1300 it would be hard to notice any impact on handling at all.

I simply did not care for the sound of the aftermarket cans I had. I prefer quiet and stealthy.
Old August 18th, 2017   #6
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I have a complete stock ST1300 exhaust system that I bought used, from a forum member, many years ago, for spares, from the block to the tip of the tail.
The cans are not pristine but if someone can use them...

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017   #7
ron47

Dangit! I knew I should have checked here first!
Old August 20th, 2017   #8
chaissos
Donators

I was interested in the Staintunes. While I have the time and energy to swap, I don't have that much cash floating around I can drop a good bit on a set of cans I probably don't need. The factory cans are nice and quiet, and the bike runs well with them on. I'm honestly more worried about quiet than anything else. Like Red, I want to come and go and have no one even notice. There's nothing more irritating (to me) than having a loud bike/car go by and rattle the house when you're home relaxing. It does, in fact, piss me off. I've found out I'm not the only one, so I feel better about that. Loud on a track is one thing. Loud at 25 MPH in a housing development is just stupid (IMO).
Old August 20th, 2017   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
I was interested in the Staintunes. While I have the time and energy to swap, I don't have that much cash floating around I can drop a good bit on a set of cans I probably don't need. The factory cans are nice and quiet, and the bike runs well with them on. I'm honestly more worried about quiet than anything else. Like Red, I want to come and go and have no one even notice. There's nothing more irritating (to me) than having a loud bike/car go by and rattle the house when you're home relaxing. It does, in fact, piss me off. I've found out I'm not the only one, so I feel better about that. Loud on a track is one thing. Loud at 25 MPH in a housing development is just stupid (IMO).
Yep .

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2017   #10
ron47

Put in some miles today. The Staintune cans are actually nice from the pilot seat (with earplugs). I need to hear them from another angle before I yank em off. :-)