ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2017   #51
chaissos
Donators
 
chaissos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rouand'a'bout San Antonio
Posts: 2,024
Rep Power: 83 chaissos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
I don't see why not. That would probably be the easiest way to do things.
It most definitely would be the easiest way.

I'm setting up new servers in a couple weeks, too. Getting two blade servers, which will cluster, and then stand the server instances up in the cluster. If you're a computer nerd like me, this is really cool...and I'm really looking forward to it - also upgrading from server 2003 to 2012 R2. 72G RAM, 6* 4TB HDDs in RAID5, dual quad-core Xeon's...yeah, I'm getting excited. I will leave the old server on-line until everything's running properly, and then move it all over. Should be a simple transition, and virtually invisible to everyone. Take down the database, copy it from server to server, bring it back up. 10 minutes, maybe, over 2G links (two bonded 1G links).

Right now, it's just a holding page, nothing more. Should be enough to verify DNS settings and that everyone can connect to it. The one problem you may see is that it's hosted in my house, and since I don't have a commercial connection, the DNS isn't reverse mapped. For some AV packages (like Avast), that throws a flag. I just added an exception to the software to let me in when I'm on the road. I do very little upkeep on my main page (the www. one), as mostly it's just to serve files to my partners.
__________________
Scott, 2012 "STutter", STOC# 8642
Go forth and be a force of awesome - do epic shit.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017   #52
ligito
Donators
 
ligito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 3,983
Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

I hope it works better than the mainframe upgrades we used to have, that always had issues.
__________________
IBAN Old Fart

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017   #53
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer
 
zldrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 4,601
Rep Power: 3 zldrider will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

I'll need to get you the info on the various vbulletin accounts and the domain name service is through Network Solutions and it is coming up for renewal in a month or so. I wasn't going to renew it but, you'll probably want to do that to keep the URL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
It most definitely would be the easiest way.

I'm setting up new servers in a couple weeks, too. Getting two blade servers, which will cluster, and then stand the server instances up in the cluster. If you're a computer nerd like me, this is really cool...and I'm really looking forward to it - also upgrading from server 2003 to 2012 R2. 72G RAM, 6* 4TB HDDs in RAID5, dual quad-core Xeon's...yeah, I'm getting excited. I will leave the old server on-line until everything's running properly, and then move it all over. Should be a simple transition, and virtually invisible to everyone. Take down the database, copy it from server to server, bring it back up. 10 minutes, maybe, over 2G links (two bonded 1G links).

Right now, it's just a holding page, nothing more. Should be enough to verify DNS settings and that everyone can connect to it. The one problem you may see is that it's hosted in my house, and since I don't have a commercial connection, the DNS isn't reverse mapped. For some AV packages (like Avast), that throws a flag. I just added an exception to the software to let me in when I'm on the road. I do very little upkeep on my main page (the www. one), as mostly it's just to serve files to my partners.
__________________
Joe Zulaski
Redmond, WA
MSF RiderCoach
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017   #54
ligito
Donators
 
ligito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 3,983
Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

Hoping for a seamless transition.
__________________
IBAN Old Fart

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017   #55
Redfish
Donators
 
Redfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 2,752
Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

I dunno... That chaissos guy is pretty mean. Life with him in charge may be difficult.
__________________
Never run out of traction, ideas and real estate all at the same time.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017   #56
ligito
Donators
 
ligito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 3,983
Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I dunno... That chaissos guy is pretty mean. Life with him in charge may be difficult.
Yeah, he is from the South and the heat and humidity make him as cranky as Redfish.
__________________
IBAN Old Fart

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017   #57
chaissos
Donators
 
chaissos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rouand'a'bout San Antonio
Posts: 2,024
Rep Power: 83 chaissos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

Well, I'm sure it won't exactly be "seamless", but I'll do what I can.

It may take a bit, moving data, changing the DNS host, etc. Depending on where it's hosted, it can be anything from $75 a year to free. Joe and I will have to have some offline discussions (or e-mails) to get it moved.

And, I'm not really that mean. I may live in the South, but I"m actually from the North. Don't think I can hold a candle to that Redfish guy.
__________________
Scott, 2012 "STutter", STOC# 8642
Go forth and be a force of awesome - do epic shit.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017   #58
ligito
Donators
 
ligito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 3,983
Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Well, I'm sure it won't exactly be "seamless", but I'll do what I can.

It may take a bit, moving data, changing the DNS host, etc. Depending on where it's hosted, it can be anything from $75 a year to free. Joe and I will have to have some offline discussions (or e-mails) to get it moved.

And, I'm not really that mean. I may live in the South, but I"m actually from the North. Don't think I can hold a candle to that Redfish guy.
He is pretty torrid.

Let us know, when you need donations.
__________________
IBAN Old Fart

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017   #59
chaissos
Donators
 
chaissos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rouand'a'bout San Antonio
Posts: 2,024
Rep Power: 83 chaissos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Let us know, when you need donations.
That's the beauty of it. I own everything, host all the services, and use only my own equipment. I pretty much won't need donations, almost never. If the drives really start filling up, I might need to expand the RAID. Drives are getting really cheap, though. I'll be starting with ~20TB of space. I think that should suffice for a while...but I'm not sure how much storage it has now. All that will need to transfer.

The total cost will be for the domain name. I think if I can get it to the right registrar, it will total ~$20/year, added to my current account. That's it.

If it turns out to be hard to use (which I don't expect), or very slow, I might need to upgrade my connection. That would then carry a cost, but it shouldn't be all that much.

Yes, I like this forum that much. I even like to watch people go nuts out here.

The same moderators will stay in place, same user accounts, same passwords, everything. Of course, I will assume the admin role, but that won't mean that much. All new accounts will go through my personal e-mail, so spam accounts shouldn't ever happen - they can't happen without approval. It might be a bit slower to reset accounts and request new accounts, but I will be doing it all manually. I have full access to my network from anywhere in the world over an encrypted VPN.
__________________
Scott, 2012 "STutter", STOC# 8642
Go forth and be a force of awesome - do epic shit.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017   #60
ibike2havefun
Senior Member
 
ibike2havefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 305
Rep Power: 0 ibike2havefun can only hope to improve
Default Re: Anyone want to take over the forum?

Scott- that's AWESOME. I am glad the board will not go away after all.

Thanks for stepping up.
__________________
-= Keith Adams =-
Rockville, MD, USA
STOC # 8824. Embarrassingly high but it's mine.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2011 ST1300.US.COM