ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself here, please.

Old October 3rd, 2015   #1
motornut

Default trans

anybody have 1st and 2nd shifting problems when hot, not something new trying to find neutral can be tough if I am in traffic and the fan has come on. Yes I have removed and checked the oil cooler for any blockage, It has no problem, I am running Honda oil. Being old school I change the oil every 2000 miles. this has been going on pretty much since new. I figured it was the nature of the beast. By the way I figured I was going to need a clutch, but on inspection found the pivot in the clutch lever worn almost in half. " Keepin it simple stupid" does pay off sometimes
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015   #2
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: trans

Check the heim joint on the shift linkage.
The joint on the right side, at the shift shaft.
The end is slightly more exposed and can get "sticky".
Check the condition of the rubber boot, replace is cracked to brittle.

The hiem should be free and easy in movement.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015   #3
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
anybody have 1st and 2nd shifting problems when hot, not something new trying to find neutral can be tough if I am in traffic and the fan has come on. Yes I have removed and checked the oil cooler for any blockage, It has no problem, I am running Honda oil. Being old school I change the oil every 2000 miles. this has been going on pretty much since new. I figured it was the nature of the beast. By the way I figured I was going to need a clutch, but on inspection found the pivot in the clutch lever worn almost in half. " Keepin it simple stupid" does pay off sometimes
Honda motor oil type used ?

Year of the bike and Milage ?

When was the last time the clutch fluid was changed ?

If the pivot in the clutch lever was worn in half , it probably did not see enough maintenance . . . after the replacement ,did You saw any improvement in the shifting ?

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015   #4
motornut

it is an 04 and I run 10/40 , only 102,000 miles I change the clutch and brake fluids as soon as I see any discoloring (usually once year) since that tells me there is moisture inside. heim joint is pretty easy check, it has done this a long time and I have learned to live with it by hitting neutral while still moving, only hard when stopped and oil is warmer ,ain't a deal breaker-just an irritant.
Old October 4th, 2015   #5
Mick
Loquacious Member

I agree with Paul. A likely culprit is the shift linkage.

Checked in my personal archive of key repair/maintenance posts and found the following that might be of help. It’s from ST-O so hopefully you are able to access the thread:

From msg #34 of the following ST-O thread: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...otchy-Shifting

“As I was sitting on the floor staring at it when A light bulb went off over my head...I quickly removed the lower right cowl (black trim piece) and was looking at the shaft that comes straight out of the back of the transmission, where the first elbow is attached with a 10mm head bolt. There it was! the bolt had loosened up just enough that every time he shifted, it was walking off the splined shaft. There was splines showing between the tranny and the lever, and the shaft was recessed inside the lever about a quarter of an inch. I loosened the bolt all the way, removed it, and cleaned and lubricated it, then pushed the arm ALL the way back onto the shaft and tightened the bolt. Smooth as glass shifting once again....or as he says smooth as buttah...

I suspect the shop knows this happens and uses it to their advantage in generating service work.

I also checked my 07 tonight, and sure enough, mine was starting to walk off just a little bit, but enough to bind the shaft movement, despite the joints.

You may want to check this one bolt from time to time. I know I will from now on.”

Below is a post I made last year on ST1300.us that shows a close-up picture of the linkage and how to get to it. It’s easy to work on:

From msg#17 on the following ST1300.us thread: http://www.st1300.us.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=17

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015   #6
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Motornut problem is . . . " anybody have 1st and 2nd shifting problems when hot, not something new trying to find neutral can be tough " , could also be related to the honda motor oil . He did mention the grade but not the type used . . . anyway ,I had the same neutral problem for many years with my 2003 running on the specific honda recommended oil .

When I switched to Amsoil full syntetic . . . not only this problem was solved but all stubborn shifting behavior of the transmission had desapered.

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015   #7
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Also check the condition of the clutch lever and push rod. I've seen the rod wear all the way through the little brass receptacle, effectively reducing the "throw" of the system. The lever pivot area can also be subject to wear, causing the same effect.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015   #8
motornut

Oh I hate to do it , but I will try a good synthetic oil. I really hate the extra cost. I will adjust my oil change interval to cut the cost down. I have always believed and seen that the stock recommendation in owners manual was as good as needed, although I have changed the oil every 2000 miles on every motorcycle I have owned since 1973. I will Check that heim joint underneath 1st before jumping the gun, it is a no brainer that I overlooked as well as free
Old October 7th, 2015   #9
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I run synthetics (mostly Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 or Castrol full synthetic 4T 10w-40) out to at least 5K before changing. After 150K miles the engine is still mechanically strong, does not use oil and is still pulling 112hp on a dyno.

2000 miles is way over-kill even or conventional oil.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015   #10
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

You stated this is happening when hot.
Full synthetic oil forte is how it handles heat.
Nothing does it better not even fresh dino's.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote