ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > General Electrical, Fuse Holders, Switches

Old July 7th, 2013   #21
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: ST1300 - P right hand switch

Unless I'm off track, one thing I really like about the European left hand control cluster is the "flash" function. You simply press down on the high beam/low beam switch to flash the lights (I think, from the picture). Makes it far easier for a quick flash to get someone's attention, etc. The old 500F-II I had also had a flash button I used to hit with my index finger. Worked beautifully.
Old July 8th, 2013   #22
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Unless I'm off track, one thing I really like about the European left hand control cluster is the "flash" function. You simply press down on the high beam/low beam switch to flash the lights (I think, from the picture). Makes it far easier for a quick flash to get someone's attention, etc. The old 500F-II I had also had a flash button I used to hit with my index finger. Worked beautifully.
Yes. See the PA marker on my left switch gear. Just depress it with my thumb for a flash, whether the headlights are on or off. You guys don't have that?
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013   #23
chaissos
Donators

Nope, got nothing like it. We have to use the rocker for full high beam, then low beam. We also don't have the ability to turn the lights off, since they changed the law for MC's years back (I was living in England/Holland at the time, so I'm not sure when that was and don't care to search) requiring the lights to be on all the time for safety.

I'm OK with the safety argument, but I don't like that I can't turn them off when doing simple maintenance and I need the ignition on for some reason. I guess I'll have to look into it....if it's not illegal to change them out, I can put the European controls on.

Maybe tap into the sidestand switch circuit, and use that to shut down the lights. Which of course would be perfect until the switch messed up and I had no lights at all. /sigh
Old July 9th, 2013   #24
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Nope, got nothing like it. We have to use the rocker for full high beam, then low beam. We also don't have the ability to turn the lights off, since they changed the law for MC's years back (I was living in England/Holland at the time, so I'm not sure when that was and don't care to search) requiring the lights to be on all the time for safety.

I'm OK with the safety argument, but I don't like that I can't turn them off when doing simple maintenance and I need the ignition on for some reason. I guess I'll have to look into it....if it's not illegal to change them out, I can put the European controls on.

Maybe tap into the sidestand switch circuit, and use that to shut down the lights. Which of course would be perfect until the switch messed up and I had no lights at all. /sigh

These are state laws not federal mandates.
In there never ending zeal to protect us from ourselves Texas requires:
"A motorcycle may not be operated at any time unless at least 1 headlamp is illuminated."

A simple easy to read (no legal speak) version of the rules of the road can be had here.
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/motorcycle-equipment/

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; July 9th, 2013 at 05:53 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013   #25
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

In the UK, there is no permanent headlight on rule although new vehicles are now being delivered that way. In Europe, motorcycles are required to display dipped headlights all the time but it is still up to the rider to switch on and comply unless s/he has the latest generation of bikes which are permanent headlight on.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013   #26
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I followed and added to JZH's police switch schematic, when I installed my
police switch, back in '04.

I have some files on it, if someone needs them.

The police switch allows you to turn the headlights off but not the position and marker lights.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013   #27
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I thought the requirement for the lights to automatically turn on with the ignition was a federal equipment standard. You can't buy a bike, since the '78 model year, in any US state with an OEM headlight switch on in. Now states like the Texas example may add the requirement that you cannot operate a bike without the headlights on, but I think that's aimed at older bikes that were still equipped with a switch and to discourage modifications.

California has no law that compels the operator of the bike to turn the headlights at all times, so for bikes that are '78 and older that still have a switch, it's not illegal to ride without the headlights on. I think the CA law just refers to equipment requirements and that's mostly aimed at the manufacturer. Therefore, I don't think it's illegal to fit a headlight switch to a bike not originally equipped with one in CA. That would not be the case for the Texas law however, which compels the operator to comply
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013   #28
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

How does Harley get away with selling bikes that you can turn the headlight off?
There is only so far this icon crap can fly after all.

Paul
Old July 9th, 2013   #29
chaissos
Donators

Complying with a law is easy. What I'm after is a way to shut them off when performing maintenance, without going through and disconnecting the bulbs, or removing the fuses. I'm not even bothered about having a handy switch I can hit with my thumb. Just some disconnect, somewhere, so I can turn them off. If it was all automatic (off when engine not running would be perfect), then I'd be even happier.

This is not a complaint against Honda, nor the ST, either...many bikes are set up the same way. It's the easiest way for the manufacturer's to ensure their machines are legal in all 50 states, at all times. Digging through schematics now.....
Old July 10th, 2013   #30
Garry in AZ

Paul, The short answer to your question is, they don't. 1979 and newer Harley's lights come on with the ignition, just like everyone else's.

Chaissos,
One way to have your headlights on only when the engine is running, is to install a switch inline with the bikes oil pressure sending unit. When the key is on, engine off, no lights. Once the engine starts and has oil pressure, the lights turn on. Should be a fairly simple installation if you can locate the proper switch.

Another way is to install a relay that has the coil (term 85) fed by the ignition, and the ground side of the coil (term 86) supplied by the ground from the sidestand switch. When you have the sidestand down, the relay will not close with the ignition on. To get the headlights to work, you have to have the ignition on, and the sidestand up.

The nice thing about both of these methods is there is no way to forget to turn on your headlight while riding.

Garry

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote