ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Events & Rallies

Events & Rallies Advertize Events/Rallies or report on them.

Old December 28th, 2012   #21
TimM

Default Re: WeSTOC XVIII in Sooke on Vancouver Island

Wait wait wait ... what is map quest doing, routing you up to Prince Rupert for a ferry ride back down? Or did you think Banff would be an interesting via for your GPS? It would, so not knocking it... lol.

I've driven PDX to Sooke in a day... the longest part is waiting for the Port Angeles ferry. Then again, the BC streets and roads through Victoria out to Sooke... well, it isn't exactly a straight shot, and road signs are Canadian, so keep maps and/or a GPS handy.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012   #22
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I live in SOUTH LOUISIANA. It is quite a ways to the Pacific North Wet from here. If I want to I can run my ST into the Gulf Of Mexico in less than two hours after leaving my house. Without breaking the speed limit. I can assure you that the distances I quoted are correct.
Old December 28th, 2012   #23
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Used to live in Lake Charles, LA when I was 5 or 6 years old. I remember a few things about it.

Passed through there on my Coast to Coast (50CC) ride back in 2000. From Los Angeles to St. Augustine, FL took me 39.5 hours. That was back when I was in my best LDRiding shape. Now, it would probably take me 3 or 4 days. LOL

Of course, I didn't stop to sleep for but about 3 hours and I didn't sniff any flowers.

I wish that I had had time to stop and look for where we used to live. It would have been interesting.

Joe
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012   #24
TimM

Red - just commiserating with you over the distance. I've always wanted to go to Alaska, but from Portland, OR... even then the distance has always kept me closer to home. Its always been difficult to get a couple or three weeks free time to coincide with when others can go; and long solo trips are something just less than drudgery or work. So I take week long 2k-3k trips. And since this STOC is in the PNW June, on the STraits no less, you will get wet.
Old December 28th, 2012   #25
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

No synthetic oils were injured during these posts.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012   #26
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

If Maura doesn't catch you, is it still wrong?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old December 28th, 2012   #27
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
If Maura doesn't catch you, is it still wrong?
Unfortunately my friend both you and I posting our sarcastic little one liners is probably wrong. Hopefully we can both keep getting away with it.
Old December 28th, 2012   #28
TimM

I love it - all I do is say something like "streets in BC can be frustrating" or "it rains in the PNW, especially near Sooke" and Maura is going to haunt me?

Sailing through the straits, I parked my boat at Sooke Harbor for a few days to let the winds die down (had five gales that trip, four were in the straits). That was after coming around Race Rocks into a nasty breeze as the tide was ebbing... ah yes, sailing is so much fun! Coming into Port Angeles that trip, had 12 foot breakers washing onto the stern... surfing at 10 knots, 35 knots over the boat. Even broke things that aren't supposed to break, like 5/8" rode turning blocks on the mainsail sheet...
Old December 30th, 2012   #29
ligito
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I love it - all I do is say something like "streets in BC can be frustrating" or "it rains in the PNW, especially near Sooke" and Maura is going to haunt me?

Sailing through the straits, I parked my boat at Sooke Harbor for a few days to let the winds die down (had five gales that trip, four were in the straits). That was after coming around Race Rocks into a nasty breeze as the tide was ebbing... ah yes, sailing is so much fun! Coming into Port Angeles that trip, had 12 foot breakers washing onto the stern... surfing at 10 knots, 35 knots over the boat. Even broke things that aren't supposed to break, like 5/8" rode turning blocks on the mainsail sheet...
Sounds like you had fun.

Yes, Maura the phantom, is everywhere.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old December 30th, 2012   #30
maura
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Sounds like you had fun.

Yes, Maura the phantom, is everywhere.
Yes, I had been ignoring this threadvas I will not be attending, but got some strange sense......

I once lived in Sooke, B.C. Yes indeed. it was a step up from homelessness. I understand great advances have been made, all the peeler bars have been replaced by charming tea shops and used bookstores, flower baskets festoon the small town main street rather than drunks peeing in doorways, so I expect the new Sooke will be well suited the sophisticated and discerning ST rider.

I am a fount of information. Fantastic motorcycle roads in the area. BC ferries faster and more frequent than US ferry. Arrive 30 minutes before sailing and motorcycles load first. Loading starts 20 minutes before sailing. once loading starts, late bikes must load after all cars and trucks, bikes do not need reservations. Pacific Buffet food is pretty good, expensive but much better choice than the White Spot cafeteria food- unless you're only going for a light snack you can end up paying as much as the buffet but for much poorer fare.

Crossing the border- be honest, respect the fact that you are entering a foreign country with different laws, leave your guns and gun rights at home and you will have a smooth passage. If on the other hand you wish to see the inside of the customs building and would like to discuss the differences between US law and Canadian law at considerable length with a trained professional who is likely carrying a firearm, and have you luggage well aired out, by all means do the opposite of what I have suggested. After all, you are on holiday, and who wouldn't want a lengthy visit to a government of Canada building?

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote