ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old March 1st, 2010   #31
hollywood91

Default Re: ST1300 Tire choices and sizes

Joe, I have run thru 2 sets of BT020 F's. I got about 9500 miles on the first rear and 10,000 on the second. I changed both fronts but they still had wear left in them. I have just mounted a pair of PR 2's and will try them. If they're not any better than the Bstones, I'll go back to them. I'm not an agressive rider, but I do a lot of 2up riding in nothern NY state. The weather is getting better here, if I can just get the ice out of the driveway.........
Ed.
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010   #32
onetrack

My 03 came with 020F's. I replaced them a few times. ME880's were noisy and poor handling/heavy. Z6's are great wet or dry but they don't last that long. Has anyone tried the dual/triple compound tires? What kind of mileage and how's the feel?
onetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010   #33
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Many of us have tried the dual compound tires. There are a couple of other threads about them. Generally, I think the feedback has been that they handle great in the wet and dry but, that they don't hold up very long.

They're definitely NOT a long distance tire.

Personally, I've tried the Continental Conti's and the Michelin Pilot Road 2's and found the above to be true of both.

I get about 6500 usable miles out of them around town. The PR2's I would say were better than the Conti's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrack View Post
My 03 came with 020F's. I replaced them a few times. ME880's were noisy and poor handling/heavy. Z6's are great wet or dry but they don't last that long. Has anyone tried the dual/triple compound tires? What kind of mileage and how's the feel?
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010   #34
onetrack

Darn, the ads look so good:-)
onetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010   #35
bygdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrack View Post
I had just the opposite experience with a Z6 in wet weather near Eureka Springs, AR a few years back. That thing turned loose every time I thought about going into a bit of a lean. Talk about your pucker factor on the pig trail...
bygdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010   #36
northernrider

Is the ME880 you refer to the "Marathon Touring"? When I tried to inquire at our local Honda dealer I got nowhere as I was told the ME880 is not "speed rated" so they would not order one for my ST. Just to be clear- if I can get my mittens on a ME 880 rear, that tire would cause me no problems with the OEM Bridgestone I have on front? (or if I switch to a OEM Dunlop for the front?)
northernrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010   #37
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernrider View Post
Is the ME880 you refer to the "Marathon Touring"? When I tried to inquire at our local Honda dealer I got nowhere as I was told the ME880 is not "speed rated" so they would not order one for my ST. Just to be clear- if I can get my mittens on a ME 880 rear, that tire would cause me no problems with the OEM Bridgestone I have on front? (or if I switch to a OEM Dunlop for the front?)

I am currently running the 020 front and ME880 rear.
I do not recommend the mixed match set. This setup seems to induce a slight head shake in the 40mph range. Not bad but noticeable.
Run either the Bridgestone front and rear or the Metzeler front and rear but not one of each. The only mix match I would run is the Z6/ME880. Never had problems with this setup.

The ME880 is not a Z rated tire but since I do not spend ANY time in the 150mph neighborhood it is not something I overly worry about.

Paul
Old March 5th, 2010   #38
northernrider

Paul, my miles are mostly two-up fully loaded touring and my co-pilot also is my governer (so no speeds much over the legal limit without a jab to the ribs or a bonk to the melon). Which tire set do you think would give the most milege?
northernrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010   #39
Paul

The highest mileage I've ever had was on the ME880/Z6 combo, the ME front in ST size was not available at the time, 12,000 miles. The Z6 is not only worn out but worn funny at 12k. Some report wet weather problems with traction using Metzeler's. I am not aggressive in rain and have not had problems with the tire sticking.

Paul
Old March 21st, 2010   #40
TimM

My OEM set of Dunlop D220's lasted 8500 miles; my Bridgestone BT021's lasted 5700 miles. I preferred the Bridgestone handling, much more controllable than the Dunlops. Though the Dunlops felt lighter, they were plain squirrelly in corners. Whereas the BT021's were rock solid in corners.

Looking at Conti Attack2's or Michelin PR2's. But also saw the new BT023's - if the 30% extra life being touted is true, then I'll only expect 7500 from them... lol.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote