ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old July 23rd, 2017   #1
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default SMC drain/vent

Someone asked a while back, I think Paul RB, about the latest SMC drain hole, on my last bike a UK 07 model it was just a straight hole running sideways and horizontally at the bottom of the rubber boot. Well I dragged my latest ST1300 through a load of dirty roads today and on cleaning it I noticed it is now a vertical slot, the bike this is on is a UK A9 and 2011 registered.
I reckon this could be done to them all although I don't have an earlier one to compare it too now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170723_140538[1].jpg (58.3 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Rob2m; July 23rd, 2017 at 07:25 AM.
Rob2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017   #2
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: SMC drain/vent

Sorry guys the pic should be round 90 degrees, it was loaded from my camera. I dont know if one of the mods could rotate it?

Echo, just lie on your left hand side to help the confusion.
Old July 23rd, 2017   #3
echo

I ll be quiet.

Old September 21st, 2017   #4
echo

Ive been thinking about your drain slot. The fact that its there at all indicates water is getting into the exposed and vulnerable SMC and playing havoc with the brake circuit. If you ride in the rain then you better include peeling the boot back from time to time and inspecting the SMC for corrosion. If youre riding in the winter that would go double! Ive heard it said problems with the SMC stem from failure to perform timely maintenance ie changing the brake fluid per the OM once every two years. The existence of this slot would indicate to me theres a lot more to do than just changing the brake fluid.

I especially like your suggestion to kick the rear tire around while the bike is on the centerstand before every ride. Like checking the air in the tires. At least then those who are unable to do the maintenance can have pretty good assurance the brake system isnt going to lock the rear wheel up on them.
Old September 22nd, 2017   #5
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Ive been thinking about your drain slot. The fact that its there at all indicates water is getting into the exposed and vulnerable SMC and playing havoc with the brake circuit. If you ride in the rain then you better include peeling the boot back from time to time and inspecting the SMC for corrosion. If youre riding in the winter that would go double! Ive heard it said problems with the SMC stem from failure to perform timely maintenance ie changing the brake fluid per the OM once every two years. The existence of this slot would indicate to me theres a lot more to do than just changing the brake fluid.

I especially like your suggestion to kick the rear tire around while the bike is on the centerstand before every ride. Like checking the air in the tires. At least then those who are unable to do the maintenance can have pretty good assurance the brake system isnt going to lock the rear wheel up on them.

Let me see if I grasp the concept.

You know absolutely nothing about the Linked Brake System, Combined Brake System on the European models.
You do not own a ST and have not owned one for more than a few years, 7 or 8 years? yet you persist in not just telling those that actually ride one how to preform the service on one, service that you never preformed on the one you owned, but how difficult and time consuming the service is going to be.

You know this how?
You studied a picture of a SMC.
If you had any mechanical knowledge at all, or had up-close in-hand experience with the SMC, you would notice the "hole" is to drain off water before it gets into the SMC body at the boot, or the rubber thingy on the piston shaft.

The SMC hides itself behind the left fork tube it is not any more "exposed and vulnerable" as you state than the left caliper.
Brake calipers must have access to the brake rotors.
Where would you suggest putting those?
Seeing as though you are trying to slow or stop a moving wheel it would make perfectly good sense to put them on the wheel, are the wheels on your "exposed and vulnerable" list as well?

With your extensive knowledge of the ST's LBS system you must be fully aware that the SMC is only in operation when the front wheel is in motion, forward motion only, and the brake is applied it does not work when the bike is moving backward, backing out of the garage for example.

Changing the fluid is critical. The return port, or compensating port, must be free flowing for the brake piston to return within the caliper.
The SMC, as all the other as well, has this port within it body.
Crap in the brake fluid can and will plug, or restrict flow of fluid.
But you already knew that didn't you.
Just Trolling as per normal.

Grouchy Paul
Old September 28th, 2017   #6
echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post

The SMC hides itself behind the left fork tube it is not any more "exposed and vulnerable" as you state than the left caliper.

Grouchy Paul

Have either of the calipers undergone modification to alleviate corrosion from the water and trash they are exposed to? No they have not. They are not as complicated and their inherit simple design prevents corrosion from the elements for many years before they need attention.

Not so the SMC. Just look at the picture and the text of the original poster showing the modifications to deal with all the trouble cause by this complicated Rube Goldberg mechanism. I'm afraid regular routine maintenance as outlined in the owners manual, while important and a good idea, it's just not going to handle the problems caused by this faulty design.

Last edited by echo; September 28th, 2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old September 28th, 2017   #7
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Your complete and total lack of knowledge to go along with the simple fact that you do not own a ST that you can even look at the SMC system disqualifies you from anything resembling a intelligent conversation on the Linked Brake System or it's components.

DO NOT EVER use my posts to Troll on any subject again.

Learn something you ignorant SOB
http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/brake/

Paul
Old September 22nd, 2017   #8
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Grouchy and grumpy.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017   #9
echo

[quote=ligito;52132]Grouchy and grumpy. [/QUOTE

Would some anger management therapy be in order?
Old September 23rd, 2017   #10
echo

The question I have is if this SMC system is so good why do the Honda engineers keep modifying the SMC as the original poster noticed? Obviously there are problems. If only they could just admit their mistakes and offer to retrofit conventional brakes to the ST 1300.