ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tools

Tools Did you just find the coolest tool that made a maintenance task a breeze? Tell us about it here.

Old March 1st, 2015   #21
Mick
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Innovative Torque Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
From the Honda Service Manual.
Experience.
In 100,000 miles I have used 22 oil filters using a quality torque wrench to set to specified torque.
I have never had a filter dribble a single drop.
I was on a trip with a buddy to Ashland Oregon once. He changed the oil & filter (we both had ST1100's) right before we left. He used the "tighten by hand" only method. We got ready to leave Oregon and noticed there was a puddle of oil beneath his bike. His hand tighten method was obviously not good enough.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015   #22
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
I think I'll stick with a proven and approved method, if you don't mind.

Paul
Don't mind a bit and that's consistent with my original statement if you read it.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015   #23
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I was on a trip with a buddy to Ashland Oregon once. He changed the oil & filter (we both had ST1100's) right before we left. He used the "tighten by hand" only method. We got ready to leave Oregon and noticed there was a puddle of oil beneath his bike. His hand tighten method was obviously not good enough.
Hmmm did he turn the filter the number of turns specified on the filter?

On my DL1000s first OC I noted on the filter "2 turns after contacting the block" and only did 1 turn because I had seen over tightened filters which were very difficult to remove. But immediately upon startup I looked and noticed a leak. Another turn and no more leak. Come to find out the zuke thread is very fine hence the 2 turns.

That's the only time I ever had an OF leak except once I put an OF on top of the previous filters rubber gasket. That's how I found to check before installing the new filter...

Nope its more like:

Last edited by echo; March 1st, 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old March 1st, 2015   #24
echo
The sky is falling...

[quote=chaissos;43833]So you tighten the nuts on an airhead, and you KNOW you can do it? Those don't require the same specs as virtually ANY car or bike with water cooling.
QUOTE]

Like I said I would evaluate each and every situation before proceeding not to use a torque wrench.

Nope its more like:

Old March 1st, 2015   #25
chaissos
Donators

You may have *thought* that, but you never said it. Unless you go back and edit it.
Old March 1st, 2015   #26
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
People just worry too much about things in general without having any actual empirical evidence. They just do what others tell them to.
Well I wouldn't advise anyone to throw away their torque wrench. I can't believe you really actually think you can rebuild/tighten/adjust anything, better, without the required tools.
I'd leave the threads readers to base their own opinions on the merits of your input, personally I think your advice is flawed.
Old March 2nd, 2015   #27
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Well I wouldn't advise anyone to throw away their torque wrench. I can't believe you really actually think you can rebuild/tighten/adjust anything, better, without the required tools.
I'd leave the threads readers to base their own opinions on the merits of your input, personally I think your advice is flawed.
What I said was if I thought an assembly required a torque wrench I would use one and may have done so from time to time. (although I cant remember doing it!)

Also Im not advising anyone to give up using torque wrenches. I did say the torque applied depends to a great degree on the condition of the threads. If theres oil on the threads or if they are rusty or dirty or slightly damaged they will not be torqued to the setting of the tool, they will be over or undertorqued. People should consider this thoughtfully and if necessary do a little research if they want to truly go by published torque values for the work they do.

I agree with you everyone needs to and is capable of coming to their own conclusions about this. I do it constantly as I read people opinions and there are times when that's been very helpful.

Nope its more like:

Last edited by echo; March 2nd, 2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2015   #28
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 88 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

ENOUGH.

With a history of bad to increasingly stupid advice this has gone far enough.

Do us all a favor and keep your service advice, which you have shown you know nothing about, to yourself.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015   #29
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
I agree with you everyone needs to and is capable of coming to their own conclusions about this. I do it constantly as I read people opinions and there are times when that's been very helpful.

Good, then read Paul's post above, I agree with him. HTH.
Old March 2nd, 2015   #30
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I always assumed that Echo's intent posting here is for entertainment rather than informative purposes. This thread is a perfect example. No reason to get wrapped up in it - you've been punked!
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote