ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tools

Tools Did you just find the coolest tool that made a maintenance task a breeze? Tell us about it here.

Old February 28th, 2015   #11
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Innovative Torque Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I always get a kick out of people who think they can "feel" the torque of a fastener.
Arrogance gets expensive.
Muscle memory is nowhere near as accurate as a "quality" torque wrench.
Mostly I agree, but spark plugs are the exception.
Old February 28th, 2015   #12
SinNH
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
+1
Seem like every shop or aftermarket manual states the torque level too high for my liking, if I remember right usually around 17 ft #, don't like it, I tighten by feel with just a smige of never seeze until the plug just "bottoms".
Never, never had any issues.
Years ago I used to buy the crush washers for plugs in a box of a hundred and change every time, can't find them anymore.

"The right to keep and bear arms is the one right that allows rights to exist at all."
SinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015   #13
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 90 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

The ST's spark Plug torque is 12 ft.lbs.
We are also given specific instructions.
Hand tighten the NEW spark plug, then tighten it about 1/2 turn after the sealing washer contacts the seat of the plug hole.

I seriously doubt if anyone has "the feel" for 12 ft.lbs.

The 12 ft.lbs. torque is for reinstalling a plug.
The 1/2 turn is for a new plug.

Inspect at 8k replace at 16k.

It is serious business Helicoiling the deep set plugs, you do not want to strip the threads here.

NGK calls for NO antiseize on their plugs.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015   #14
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Yes and I feel the same way about the oil filter.
I have never seen, or heard of anyone torquing an oil filter, until I read the manual, for the ST1300.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015   #15
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 90 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yes and I feel the same way about the oil filter.
I have never seen, or heard of anyone torquing an oil filter, until I read the manual, for the ST1300.

Sorry, I torque mine.

When I changed the filter at 600 miles I had to lay the bike on it's side and use the giant channel lock pliers to remove the filter.
I was less than impressed.
Luckily it was not a sign of things to come but simply a overtightened filter on the production line.

I've greased the oil ring and torqued the filter ever since.

Paul
Old March 1st, 2015   #16
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

And there's the other side, the oil filter is something I always torque, but I always have to do it two or three times, I like it a tad tighter tan it's supposed to be.
Old March 1st, 2015   #17
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
I always get a kick out of people who think they can "feel" the torque of a fastener.
Arrogance gets expensive.
Muscle memory is nowhere near as accurate as a "quality" torque wrench.
I don't think I can do it I KNOW I can do it!

Ever since I fixed a friends 66 VW in college. It dropped a valve and I took him to a junkyard and got 2 other blown 1300cc engines. We took all 3 engines apart and made one out of them. Didn't have a torque wrench all we had was $50. (he went back to the junkyard with his brothers pickup truck and sole the 2 engines...not my idea.) That was in 77 and in 1990 he was still driving the car albeit it only had 20k on it since the rebuild. I felt bad about the lack of a torque wrench and told him the engine was suspect because of it but no, there was never any problem.

People just worry too much about things in general without having any actual empirical evidence. They just do what others tell them to.

I'll tell you disbelievers another story.

When I bought my 04 ST13 in Houston TX with 3k miles on it in 2010 the PO had taken the bike to the Honda dealer for a going over. He had all the documentation from the dealer for everything ever done to the bike. They just put a new battery in it.

I rode it 1600 miles home at 85+ all the way and changed the rear tire at a tech meet for STs that a local retired Honda motorcycle mechanic runs every spring. The bike had 7500 miles on it. It was six months later after purchase.

The rear axle nut (from the Honda dealer!) had ZERO torque on it. It was barely hand tight. Im like holy stuff its a miracle I wasn't killed! The bike must be a F'ed up!

Nope not a thing wrong with it. Nothing! The interference fit threads on the nut held that sucker together.

Not that I recommend it but there it is.

Ive NEVER stripped threads or had anything bad happen from not using a torque wrench.

That's not to say there might be some things that NEED torqueing and that I would use I torque wrench on. There might even be some instances I don't remember where I DID use a TW because of that.

I am pretty much retired from being a mechanic...but not quite.

Oh and another thing.

The accuracy of a torque wrench depends to a great deal on the condition of the threads. Oil the threads even a little and you will overtorque them. If the threads are dirty or rusty just a smidge they'll be undertorqued. Not that it (usually) matters but there goes your precious torque values right out the window.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; March 2nd, 2015 at 05:02 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015   #18
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Sorry, I torque mine.

When I changed the filter at 600 miles I had to lay the bike on it's side and use the giant channel lock pliers to remove the filter.
I was less than impressed.
Luckily it was not a sign of things to come but simply a overtightened filter on the production line.

I've greased the oil ring and torqued the filter ever since.

Paul
The said purchased ST13 had its oil changed and OF torqued by the Honda dealer to whatever and I had a bitch getting it off.

OFs almost always have tightening directions on the filter that spec snugged the gasket to the block and tightening 1/2 a turn or whatever. (Zuke bikes filters go 2 turns and you better do it!)

I would go by those instructions unless experience proves them wrong.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015   #19
chaissos
Donators

So you tighten the nuts on an airhead, and you KNOW you can do it? Those don't require the same specs as virtually ANY car or biek with water cooling.

An axle bolt? Those also can do quite well with a wide range of torque.

And if someone's not smart enough to clean the parts you're assembling, well...Maybe that someone shouldn't work on vehicles at all?

With that being your only "empirical evidence", it's time to start being quiet.
Old March 1st, 2015   #20
PaulRB
The Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
The said purchased ST13 had its oil changed and OF torqued by the Honda dealer to whatever and I had a bitch getting it off.

OFs almost always have tightening directions on the filter that spec snugged the gasket to the block and tightening 1/2 a turn or whatever. (Zuke bikes filters go 2 turns and you better do it!)

I would go by those instructions unless experience proves them wrong.

From the Honda Service Manual.
Apply clean engine oil to the new oil filter O-ring.
Install the new oil filter and tighten to the specified torque.
TORQUE 26N.m (2.7kgf.m 20lbf.ft)
Instructions on the filter itself - The Same.

Sounds like Honda has a specific torque they want the filter tightened to. Important enough to put it in the manual.
Doesn't sound so hard assuming you can read.

Experience.
In 100,000 miles I have used 22 oil filters using a quality torque wrench to set to specified torque.
I have never had a filter dribble a single drop.
I have never had a filter to tight to be a problem removing.
I think I'll stick with a proven and approved method, if you don't mind.

Paul