ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tools

Tools Did you just find the coolest tool that made a maintenance task a breeze? Tell us about it here.

Old May 12th, 2012   #21
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Maintenance manual?

Man, I/we got this one way off topic, no? I was simply trying to let Echo know that not everything about BMW and Germany is a negative. The BMW is a love it or hate it machine but nobody who has driven one can deny it is phenomenal. Hers is black on black and really looks great. I also believe that when a woman drives a BMW she moves up about 1.5 to 2 points on the 10 point scale. As in "She's about a 7 but when she drives that Beemer she's an 8.5!"

When I started shopping for motorcycles I was spending Dad's $$$, not my own. This was one of the few times that money was not an object, it would be based on my opinion of the product. The BMW K1300GT, the ST1300 and the FJR1300 were the finalists. He got the FJR, I bought the used ST I found while shopping for his bike and I let the BMW alone. I have not ever regretted my choice.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012   #22
skier207
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Man, I/we got this one way off topic, no? I was simply trying to let Echo know that not everything about BMW and Germany is a negative. The BMW is a love it or hate it machine but nobody who has driven one can deny it is phenomenal. Hers is black on black and really looks great. I also believe that when a woman drives a BMW she moves up about 1.5 to 2 points on the 10 point scale. As in "She's about a 7 but when she drives that Beemer she's an 8.5!"

When I started shopping for motorcycles I was spending Dad's $$$, not my own. This was one of the few times that money was not an object, it would be based on my opinion of the product. The BMW K1300GT, the ST1300 and the FJR1300 were the finalists. He got the FJR, I bought the used ST I found while shopping for his bike and I let the BMW alone. I have not ever regretted my choice.
This 8.5 is the same one that is so big you would have to use a crane to load her on the bike?

Seriously Bemmers are pretty trouble free for the first few years, but when the warranty runs out, $$$$$$$$, very proprietary.
Awesome machines in their prime tho.
skier207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012   #23
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier207 View Post
This 8.5 is the same one that is so big you would have to use a crane to load her on the bike?

Seriously Bemmers are pretty trouble free for the first few years, but when the warranty runs out, $$$$$$$$, very proprietary.
Awesome machines in their prime tho.
I didn't say that my wife was an 8.5, I was using that as an example. I used to have an '01 Chevy Dually with a Tommy Lift hydraulic tailgate. I had the tailgate custom fitted to her so I could get her into the back of the truck. She kept overloading the hydraulic system, it was not rated for that kind of weight.

I really like the BMW so far but I have heard several knowledgeable people who say exactly the same as you. I don't intend to keep it too long but it may be difficult to convince BigUn of that. Soon I will be purchasing tires for it and low profile run-flats are not going to be cheap. (It was almost time for a DarkSide joke, but I am letting it pass!)
Old May 13th, 2012   #24
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:

When I was five my best friend Johns father had a BMW 1600. WHen emmissions equipment was added later in the 60s BMW made the engine bigger and the 1600 became the 2002.

John used to play gas station man with his fathers car (his father was a New York State Supream Court Justice) He would get a watering can of gravel and dirt and open the cap cap and pretend he was filling the tank with gas.

Later when he got his drivers lisence he rolled the replacement for the 1600 (which was a 2002).

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012   #25
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
When I was five my best friend Johns father had a BMW 1600. WHen emmissions equipment was added later in the 60s BMW made the engine bigger and the 1600 became the 2002.

John used to play gas station man with his fathers car (his father was a New York State Supream Court Justice) He would get a watering can of gravel and dirt and open the cap cap and pretend he was filling the tank with gas.

Later when he got his drivers lisence he rolled the replacement for the 1600 (which was a 2002).

My nephews did the same thing to my '46 Ford.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012   #26
Redfish
Donators

Stopped by the dealership today and picked up my shiny, new, wrapped in cellophane, genuine, Honda shop manual. They actually charged me only $76 for it. What a bargain. It is a dandy! I had not expected it to be so big! It looks like the "S" volume of the Encyclopedia Brittanica. If there is that much to work on for this ST I may have to trade it in on a BMW! (Echo, where are you? Free shot, don't miss it!)

I got the thermostat w/O-ring and 6 bottles of DOT4 brake fluid. No, not for the same job. Time to get dirty!
Old May 18th, 2012   #27
echo
The sky is falling...

$76 is cheap considering the problems it can help you solve. You can spend $1000cat the dealer in nothing flat fixing some difficult problem.About the best money you can spend.

It also makes riveting reading. Read it in bed before falling asleep at night.

You have been operant conditioned by my writings on BMWs to ever trade your ST for a BMW. I have no concerns there.

Nope its more like:

Old May 18th, 2012   #28
JZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradb View Post
Just recieved my manual from http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...ard/StoreFront

It is for my 04 ST1300 it was 31.00 delivered
Would have been cheaper still to get it from eBay or download it and print it out yourself... That guy is selling illegal copies, too. I think he's the same one who sold an ST1300 manual to me (via eBay) several years ago, blatantly claiming it wasn't an illegal photocopy of the factory manual. I told him I was not impressed by fraud and he took it back ASAP...

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012   #29
Redfish
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
You have been operant conditioned by my writings on BMWs to ever trade your ST for a BMW. I have no concerns there.
Echo, my friend, I may one day own more than one bike and I may have some form of BMW motorcycle. I am sure that I will one day trade out my beloved ST1300. I will NOT be trading the ST for a BMW. If you wish to take some credit for that, please do so. But I make that promise to you now, when Ole Blue goes, it won't be for a Beemer.
Old May 18th, 2012   #30
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
But I make that promise to you now, when Ole Blue goes, it won't be for a Beemer.

"And you may say to yourself

My God What Have I Done?"

The Talking Heads

Actually, like my father told me about women, its quite allright to try out a few of them before you settle down.

Nope its more like: