ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tools

Tools Did you just find the coolest tool that made a maintenance task a breeze? Tell us about it here.

Old December 3rd, 2008   #1
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Default List of Special tools for "ST" ?

Hi everyone... do anybody as the complete list of special tools,from Honda,for the ST 1100 and ST 1300 ?

Here is the story ... I dont know if it is the same in the "US" and in the rest of Canada,but here,in the province of Quebec ,Honda is closing domn many small Honda Dealers,and the one that I been getting motorcycle from,since the "70",(that Dealer was in besiness since the end of the "50") , lost the agency ,early this summer,and he as no choice to close ,for economic reasons.
Since I was a real good customer for him and since I did work for him once and a wile,he is going to sell me some stuff from the garage at very good price... including "honda Special Tools"

My intention is to buy all of the special tools,he as for the ST 1100 + 1300.

So ... if anybody as ,or know ,were I could get those list,it would help me a lot.

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008   #2
JimlWright

Default Re: List of Special tools for "ST" ?

Salut Daniel. Je demeur ici a Toronto. 2004 ST.

Page 1-19 and 1-20 in the service ST 1300 manual (not the owners manual) has a list of tools. I just checked. Not sure if these relate to what you are asking. Someone else might have a more informed opinion.

If you have a FAX or email address, I can send these two pages to you.

Bien a vos.

Jim
JimlWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008   #3
Paul

Each section of the shop manual, at least the US version, has a picture and number for the special tool required in that section.

One thing your going to run into going by part number is the overlap of models that use the same tool. For instance the steering stem socket carries a 371 part number. This part number is actually for the 1975 GL1000 but the socket is used on numerous Honda models including the ST1300. Any tools with a MCS in their part number will be specifically for the ST1300, it may work on other models but it's first use was on the ST1300. Product designation codes, the 371 or MCS, refer to the first model the part, or tool in this case, was used on.

One thing to consider might be purchasing all the special tools and then sell off the ones you do not have a use for. If the dealer has been in the business for some time, and kept track of the special tools, he will have a great number that are no longer available from Honda. Some of these tool can be worth their weight in gold to collectors of certain models.

Paul
Old December 4th, 2008   #4
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimlWright View Post
Salut Daniel. Je demeure ici a Toronto. 2004 ST.

Page 1-19 and 1-20 in the service ST 1300 manual (not the owners manual) has a list of tools. I just checked. Not sure if these relate to what you are asking. Someone else might have a more informed opinion.

If you have a FAX or email address, I can send these two pages to you.

Bien a vous.

Jim
Hi Jim ...I do have a service manual,it is a 2003 - 2004 ,parts # 61MCS01.
I got it from Honda Canada ...and you probably have a different version since there is no info of that kind at those page in mine ...and no info at all on tools in the section "1" so ,no idea if it is what I need ...here is my email adress lagdan@hotmail.com ,and tanks for sending it to me ... I will take a look at it.

Merci,c'est tres gentil

Daniel
Old December 4th, 2008   #5
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Each section of the shop manual, at least the US version, has a picture and number for the special tool required in that section.
Mine also as that,Paul...
but I was simply too lazy ,and gess that may be someone,like You PAUL ;-) ,already has that kind of information.
The other problem is that when I sold my ST 1100 in 2004,I gave the shop manual to the new owners ...as a gift ,so for that model ,I have no alternative ,except to ask.
I did try to "GOOGLE IT yesterday for near 2 hours,en franšais et en anglais ,whitout any result at all.

Quote:
One thing your going to run into going by part number is the overlap of models that use the same tool. For instance the steering stem socket carries a 371 part number. This part number is actually for the 1975 GL1000 but the socket is used on numerous Honda models including the ST1300. Any tools with a MCS in their part number will be specifically for the ST1300, it may work on other models but it's first use was on the ST1300. Product designation codes, the 371 or MCS, refer to the first model the part, or tool in this case, was used on.
Once again Paul ...this is great information, You are giving,here.Tanks !

P/S: I noticed that some tool have different part # ,in Canada and USA sometime,or not available some time here ,or in your contry,some hare "USA" only and some ,not available in USA .
For example ... in section 15 page 15-4 15-5 (front wheel /suspention/steering) on 24 tools ...8 are "USA" only ,7 are not available in the "USA" ...(what a f mess!)
Is it the same in your shop manual ?

Quote:
One thing to consider might be purchasing all the special tools and then sell off the ones you do not have a use for. If the dealer has been in the business for some time, and kept track of the special tools, he will have a great number that are no longer available from Honda. Some of these tool can be worth their weight in gold to collectors of certain models.
That idea went true my mind ,but this Honda motorcycle dealer, as I mention originally ,been in besiness for at least 40 years,he sold all king and brand name,and type of machine in those year...4 wheeler ski doo mower ,moped ,snow blower ,chain saw ,weed heater .boat and motor etc.etc. and it is messy in there...in other word ...the montain is very high,and once again ...too lazy ,i gess to get in that kind of work!

I gess ,I will have to sit down, in the week end with the shop manual,and take time to do that list for the ST 1300,and next week i will dig in that montain, of special tools.

Daniel

Last edited by LEINADEUGAL; December 4th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008   #6
Paul

One partial reason, and only a partial reason, some tools are listed as US only or not available in US is some time in the early 80's Honda had began using Snap On as a tool manufacture/distributor in the US. Quite a few special tools were showing up on the Snap On trucks and part numbers for the tools could be found in the Snap On catalog.
I do not know this to be fact but I always suspected there was some sort of exclusivity rights included in this deal. It never worked out very well as the local Snap On dealers did not want to carry such special, low volume sales, items and Snap On was soon in a major legal battle with it's dealers, not just from the Honda deal. Snap On still carries some Honda special tools in their catalog but in my opinion they are priced NOT to sell. Looking to pull your hair out in frustration? Try to find anything on the Snap On web site. As you can tell I am not a Snap On fan. FYI the Koibalt line of tools sold a Lowes is produced by Snap On, it is their "lower priced" line but a high quality tool. Buy them and send a message to Snap On that their prices are ridiculous and will not be paid.

One source for some Honda special tools is Kowa Seiki
http://www.kowatools.com/index.html. At the present time their web site is under construction, thank god for that, but they should be back soon. Kowa Seiki is the Snap On equivalent in Japan, major manufacture/distributor of special tools to the motorcycle/auto industry. All Honda drivers, seal and wheel bearing, carry Kowa Seiki part numbers to this day in an arrangement to have the driver numbers correspond with Honda product codes.

K & L Supply carries a small selection of Kowa Seiki tools, mostly drivers, they do carry the wheel bearing driver set and they have the 25mm driver the ST1300 requires for the front wheel. K & L sells only to dealers but your local independent shop will have a K & L catalog.

Paul
Old December 7th, 2008   #7
LEINADEUGAL
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimlWright View Post
Page 1-19 and 1-20 in the service ST 1300 manual (not the owners manual) has a list of tools.
Jim ad spotted ,in is book ,the list of all special tools needed for the ST 1300,That list is very accurate and also give the information, in wich ,and in how many section ,each tool is used.This list is not in all ,of the Honda shop manual ,been sold ... since it is not in my '03-'04 Canadian version.