ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old February 26th, 2010   #21
Superdirk
Donators

Default Re: ST1300 Tire choices and sizes

I hear you on the earplugs (pun intended)

I used to drive 55k miles per year in the car in Germany for a while, always at high speed (>120mph), and I also started wearing plugs after a while.

I always wear earplugs on long trips (custom made plugs) and I have the Schuberth S1 Pro helmet which is really silent.
On short trips though (15 min commute), I usually don't wear the plugs. That's when the high-pitch from the michelins really bothered me... Besides the engine whine, that is...

Guess I'm not an easy customer...
Superdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010   #22
DanK

The ME 880's are known for a whirring noise in corners. I noticed it with ear plugs. Not loud with the plugs, just noticed a change of pitch in the background sound coming through the plugs, but enough that it made me wonder if there was a mechanical problem. No issue once I knew what it was, but at first I wondered if I had a bearing problem developing. Otherwise really liked the tires.
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010   #23
dduelin
Loquacious Member

I'm liking these Bridgestones very much:

dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010   #24
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Can you tell me more about them (i.e., how do they handle (dry, wet), how much pressure you put in them, how long do they last, do they have front and rear, etc.?

I can look them up online but, I'd like to get some feeback too.

Then, I'll get them added to our chart. I'm going to add a column for predicted mileages too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I'm liking these Bridgestones very much:

STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010   #25
Paul

I was under the impression this was a Europe release at this time tire, depending on what one is reading it is a Feb/March release. Where did you get these?

020 lovers better stock up because if this tire becomes the OEM tire for the ST the 020 is gone. We will be forced into these three layer compounds like them or not and so far there has been little to like. Hopefully a tire with "An optional specification will also be available for heavyweight bikes" will hold up better than what we are seeing with the 021.

Semi-related:
We need to start being on the lookout for the 2010 ST and pay particular attention to the tires it's running. If the bike is on the dealers floor the parts department should have part numbers for OEM fitment of all brands Honda has declared OEM. Please politely ask what the OEM tires will be.

Paul

Last edited by Paul; February 27th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old February 27th, 2010   #26
franktabor

Well, if the 10 ST is on the showroom floor, we could just bend down and look at the tire?
FT

Semi-related:
We need to start being on the lookout for the 2010 ST and pay particular attention to the tires it's running. If the bike is on the dealers floor the parts department should have part numbers for OEM fitment of all brands Honda has declared OEM. Please politely ask what the OEM tires will be.

Paul[/quote]
Old February 27th, 2010   #27
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktabor View Post
Well, if the 10 ST is on the showroom floor, we could just bend down and look at the tire?
FT
Since the ST 1300's release there have been 2 OEM tires.
It would be nice to know both tires Honda has designated for fitment under the warranty, the reason for the OEM designation.

Paul
Old February 27th, 2010   #28
dduelin
Loquacious Member

The BT023's haven't been released yet in Europe or in the USA. I know some people in the wholesale side of the business and BS USA apparently asked one of them if they knew someone that was used to wearing out tires on a ST1300. My name came up and I was asked to wear out a set and report back.

I only have 1000 miles on them but I do like them alot. My gold standard is the Avon Storm and these tires so far are quite similar in wet and dry feel. I was confident from the first on them. Quick accurate turn-in and stable at high lean angles and under very hard braking. I rank them better than Michelin PR2s in handling and feedback at this point and even with Avons. At 1000 miles they are wearing well but time will tell that tale. I only ran one set of OEM 020s and didn't like them enough to replace them with another set.
Old February 27th, 2010   #29
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I was under the impression this was a Europe release at this time tire, depending on what one is reading it is a Feb/March release. Where did you get these?

020 lovers better stock up because if this tire becomes the OEM tire for the ST the 020 is gone. We will be forced into these three layer compounds like them or not and so far there has been little to like. Hopefully a tire with "An optional specification will also be available for heavyweight bikes" will hold up better than what we are seeing with the 021.

Semi-related:

Paul
A couple of press reviews described the OEM tires as Dunlop Roadsmarts but who knows if production bikes will be shod the same.
Old March 1st, 2010   #30
hollywood91

I was at the Montreal (Que) bike show on the weekend. Honda Canada had a 2010 ST on display and it was wearing a pair of BT020 F's. Hopefully we can get them for another year. Ed
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote