ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old January 28th, 2015   #231
phoule613

Default Re: ST1300 Tire choices and sizes

Pirelli Angel ST. Lots of mileage, great handling and well priced. Got 12k on my front and almost 9 on the back.
phoule613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015   #232
technician

I'm running Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's, fitted them almost as soon as I got the bike in October 2014 have done about 1500 miles on them so far and as a confirmed Michelin fan I like them. I wasn't happy with the Bridgestone's that were on the bike when I bought it. I've run the Michelins Pilot series on all my bikes over the last 20 years and not really found anything to complain about.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting “WOW, What a Ride!”
technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015   #233
MorrisGray

Are most of you getting the tires from the dealer or ordering them online?
Any online help on removing rear wheel?

Anybody using the Michelin PR4s?

Thanks, Tony
MorrisGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015   #234
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 125 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Just done 2,500 miles of twisty mountain roads around the Picos de Europa, the Pyrenees and back up through France. Dealer fitted rear PR3 just before I left and I trashed the front PR2 on the trip so had a front PR3 fitted upon my return. Excellent tyres for me. I was happy with the several sets of PR2's that I got through but they are getting hard to source now. I'm just as happy with the PR3's. I didn't feel the need to spend the extra for PR4 GT's
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015   #235
Garry in AZ

I just completed the IBR on one set of Michelin PR4 GT's. The tires now have about 11,200 miles on them, and the rear is almost to the wear bars. The front tire has some cupping but I would not hesitate to run it for another couple thousand miles at least, probably more.
FWIW, I have had the best luck in terms of mileage and overall satisfaction from Michelin (PR3's and now PR4's) and Dunlop Roadsmart 2's. Any of these tires have been good for well over 11,000 miles of typical rally riding. Olaf Moon called me "a gentle rider" when we met at a bonus location on leg three, and he mentioned that he was afraid he may need a third rear tire before the rally was over. He looked at mine and asked when I changed it, and was amazed when I told him it was the tire I started the rally on. I don't know about "gentle" but I was deliberately taking care of my tires during the rally so I would not have to change them.

Garry

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015   #236
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 90 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Is the front tire cupping delivering any "feel" through the handlebars?
I guess what I'm asking is if you did not see the cupping would you know there is cupping? Would you be looking for a what causing that feeling.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015   #237
Garry in AZ

No, I do not feel anything unusual while riding, and the cupping is not as severe as I saw on some of the other bikes at the finish. I rode through a lot of rain on the third leg, and the tires never felt like they were losing grip or hydroplaning.
I'm not sure what causes the cupping, but it is mostly on the outer edges of the tire, where the softer of the two compounds is used.

Garry

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015   #238
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisGray View Post
Are most of you getting the tires from the dealer or ordering them online?
Any online help on removing rear wheel?

Anybody using the Michelin PR4s?

Thanks, Tony
I've bought on line and also bought tires from a dealer. With the latter I ask them to meet on line pricing which they do so its a win win. I get the prices and the dealer gets the business. This dealer also mounts tires I buy elsewhere for $25 a wheel.

Lots of folks like Michelin Pilot Roads on their STs. They are very good tires but after running the original PRs then sets of 2s and 3s I went back to Bridgestone in the BT023GT and T30GT models. I prefer their crisper response compared to 2s and 3s and while I got slightly better rear tire mileage on a Michelin the Stones are much cheaper so the per mile cost is lower. The BS fronts go forever. The 023 on the front of my ST has 15,800 miles on it and the T30 mounted at the same time went 10,500.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015   #239
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Joe: Can you update the table that you made in the first post and repost it?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote