ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old March 12th, 2016   #21
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 85 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tire Sealants - Ride-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
forget the tire sealer and different tubes for tubeless tires. Get a tire plugger tool and a small electric pump. The co 2 cartridges work also as long as the bead is tight when you load them. I have used the pump to help a couple in a jeep who had a blow out. PS, how many of us check the spare tire pressure regularly? Yes theirs was flat. Took a while to get the pressure up-but it did work. The biggest problem with a heavy bike is tire temp, tubes raise that a lot and tire sealer could work .....temporarily, but have you ever seen a pressurized can in the hot sun? It is impressive only once. you have to carry it somewhere.

Spokes.
The 1976 Goldwing was a spoke wheel.
Spoke wheels leak faster than you can put air into them.

Paul
Old March 12th, 2016   #22
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 85 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul st1300 View Post
78 and 79 wings did not have spokes. Some people ran tubeless but they where intended to be run with tubes. I have a 78 wing and have always run tubes. I have not been brave enough to try tube less. 1100 wing rim may work and they did not have spokes

The 78-79 Comstar wheel was designed as Tube Type, the Comstar wheel did not go Tubeless until the 80 model GL1100.
The bead area of the rim is significantly different between the two.
The 1000 Comstar's were clearly marked as Tube Type, the shop manual specifically states the must be run with tubes.

I have a set of 80 model Tubeless Comstar wheels but a change in the flange drive (spline) do not allow the 1100 wheels to fit the 1000 final drive, they beefed up both sides of the splines for more tooth contact on the splines.
It was also the first use of what was at the time Moly 45 as the spline lube.
The 1100 final drive will not fit the 1000.

Paul
Old March 12th, 2016   #23
PaulRB
ST Guru

I got this figured out.

In 3,115 miles I will have 250,000 miles on the two Wings.
In that time I have had one flat tire.
I do not tour on the Wings any longer and they are now rarely "in the wilderness" beyond wrecker range.
I'm going to gamble the flat tire "luck" will hold and have removed the roadside fix kit, which is extensive, from the bike.

The YellowWing seems happy with the decision and likes it's new Michelin tires, with tubes, and the freed up space in it's new Yellow Pelican case that replaced it's old tank bag zipped tied to the luggage rack.

We be on-the-road once again although not as far from home as we once ventured.
Blame that on the ST.
They play well together in the garage though.

Paul
Old March 12th, 2016   #24
Paul st1300

Look like you have checked out all the options and it appears to be none for changing rims. I rode most of my life and never had a flat on a motorcycle until the last six years. Always carried what I thought I might need if I ever needed to fix one. Six flats in six years . Tubeless is the best, because tube tires go down as soon as you get a nail. The assistance you need may be an ambulance if any speed is involved. Tubeless give you a warning if you are paying attention. My first was a tube tire on the rear and if you start losing power and the engine is running good, pull over. That is all the warning you get before the bead breaks and then you don't have a choice. Tubeless will just get a little spongy and may take all day to go down.
STOC #8864
Paul st1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #25
echo
The sky is falling...

[quote=PaulRB;48277]I got this figured Out.

I'm going to gamble the flat tire "luck" will hold and have removed the roadside fix kit, which is extensive, from the bike.

Paul[/QUOTE

Not my choice.

Keep the kit!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016   #26
jrohrbaugh

I just picked up a deck screw in my new (900 miles) Michlen Street Pilot

I plugged it but now I'm wondering is it safe to ride or should I just spend another $300??

It's the rear tire and I used the standard tacky rope stuff to plug the hole.

Any input would be appreciated…
jrohrbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016   #27
PaulRB
ST Guru

I have ridden more that a few miles on a plugged tire plugged with the "tacky rope".

You will get some idea as to it's "seal" in the next several days.
If it is loosing air you might try again.
If it's holding it's pressure it should be good to go.

Check before each ride then again after the ride given enough time to cool off to pre ride temp.

I would assume you are carrying some form of air it up on the ride device.
In my opinion a small compressor is the only way to go.
The CO2 inflates fine but in case you have any trouble, having to do it twice in the middle of east tree-stump, you need to pack more than a few and for the ST's rear wheel you need the optional mini hose just to get into the area. Angel valve stems work well here.

One thing you might want to think about is the "tacky rope".
They are sold in two flavors.
Black for auto type tires, motorcycles too.
Red for truck tires. A slightly larger diameter.
I carry both.
The red is particularly useful for those holes slightly larger or plugging for the second time when you are out on the road.

I carry both in a pill bottle.
It keeps them clean and fresh.
They wont stick to anything or anything stick to them while you transport them from here to there and back.
I replace the glue once a year, needed or not.
The glue not only helps the seal but has some lubricating effect as well.

Think about your install tools as well.
Steel or Kevlar Belted tires can be tough to ream the hole.
Monkey Grip sells a T-Handel reamer and install tool.
Look for a reamer that is somewhat aggressive.
Steel and Kevlar Belted are difficult to ream with the standard twisted shaft reamer.

All this stuff packs nicely in the old style Bank Bag, or something similar.
I use two. One for the tacky rope/glue and one for the air compressor.

Paul
Old September 13th, 2016   #28
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrohrbaugh View Post
I just picked up a deck screw in my new (900 miles) Michlen Street Pilot

I plugged it but now I'm wondering is it safe to ride or should I just spend another $300??

It's the rear tire and I used the standard tacky rope stuff to plug the hole.

Any input would be appreciated…
I have used about a dozen rope type plugs on motorcycles and cars without a problem.

Having a rope type plug in a motorcycle tire requires a whole another order of care on your part. I checked mine several times the first hundred miles and didnt go over 50 and rode 1/10 in turns. I also put fix a flat in the tire. (that will seal any leaks in my experience as well as hopefully limit a rush of air out the tire if the plug falls out.) I also checked it before every ride.

Pretty much you arent going to have any excursions above say 80 mph right? 80s about it after you go thru a confidence period. Even then...

If you dont feel comfortable with a rope plug there is also a plug/patch. This is a rope plug on a flat rubber patch. Its applied to the inside of the tire the rope part going thru the hole and the square patch part glued to the inside of the tire. So it aint falling out. A dealer did mine on the rear tire of my CB1 when I picked up a nail at 300 miles. $30 in 1990. I brought him the wheel. That lasted the life of the tire and the dealer said "Dont go more than 80".

Good luck!

I recommend the plug/patch as a good alternative to a new tire if you cnt stick to 80/have serious reservations about just a rope plug.

Nope its more like:

Last edited by echo; September 13th, 2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old September 13th, 2016   #29
PaulRB
ST Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
If you dont feel comfortable with a rope plug there is also a plug/patch. This is a rope plug on a flat rubber patch. Its applied to the inside of the tire the rope part going thru the hole and the square patch part glued to the inside of the tire. So it aint falling out. A dealer did mine on the rear tire of my CB1 when I picked up a nail at 300 miles. $30 in 1990. I brought him the wheel. That lasted the life of the tire and the dealer said "Dont go more than 80".
Check your "facts".

The plug/patch is not a rope plug on a flat rubber patch.

http://www.techtirerepairs.com/produ...ination-units/

There are some "special tools" required.
These require removal of the tire.
Some "buffing" with a low speed drill, or something similar (Die Grinder)
and the buffing wheel. A cleaner/prep fluid is also required.

These are about the most permanent repair you will get but unless you are prepared to spend serious money, a new tire will cost less, they are best left to the pros who have the proper equipment, tools,fluids, and the plug/patch.
I have used these in a shop environment and they work extreemly well BUT basically they are not home shop friendly.

How To pdf enclosed.

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RM-4---Uni-Seal-Ultra-Repairs.pdf (4.30 MB, 1 views)
Old September 13th, 2016   #30
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post

These are about the most permanent repair you will get but unless you are prepared to spend serious money, a new tire will cost less,
Exactly how much are you saying a plug/patch costs to have professionally done?

Nope its more like: