ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old March 4th, 2016   #11
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 85 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tire Sealants - Ride-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Maybe a sat phone would be cheaper than all the grief.
It's not just cell phone coverage.
Some of the roads we travel are serious miles from civilization and getting someone to come out to fetch you home would be difficult at best and take your breath away expensive if you could convince them to make the trip into the wilderness.

Paul
Old March 4th, 2016   #12
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
It's not just cell phone coverage.
Some of the roads we travel are serious miles from civilization and getting someone to come out to fetch you home would be difficult at best and take your breath away expensive if you could convince them to make the trip into the wilderness.

Paul
On my (car) trip up the Daulton one mile from the arctic circle (his goal) was a stranded man riding a Harley three wheeler. One of his rims broke. He had no option but the pay $5 a mile out and back for a flatbed from Fairbanks to come and get him. I think that meant $2500. The man was almost inconsolable. Many other bikers stopped to offer assistance...but there was nothing we could do other then give him a ride the mile and back to the arctic circle. Fortunately the ride back to Fairbanks was easily arranged.

If you want to make a similar trip it seems to be you have two options. Obtain a bike with tubeless tires (maybe you could sell it afterwards and recoup the money) or just say the hell with it and take the Goldwing you already have. If you were on the Daulton and had the tools, there would be plenty of people who would help you r and r the wheel and patch the flat tube.

Actually youd meet a lot of people and I think it would be an interesting experience.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016   #13
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 85 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I've never heard of Daulton.
There is a road, Alaska Route 11, commonly referred to as The Dalton Highway, or Haul Road that ends at Deadhorse Alaska.

At one time the items on the Preparing and Safety list were required and checked before you were allowed to proceed up the highway.
Those that do not head the warnings are fools.

Having lived in Alaska $5,00 a mile is cheap.
You would not get me to haul your stupid ass out for that.

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dalton-vg2011.pdf (2.24 MB, 4 views)
Old March 9th, 2016   #14
drbuzzard

if you put '78 or later wheels on your '76 you'll need brakes and all form the newer year bike, front brakes are offset different so it's not a bolt on and go thing
STOC 8900
IBA 58509
HAT
drbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016   #15
PaulRB
ST Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbuzzard View Post
if you put '78 or later wheels on your '76 you'll need brakes and all form the newer year bike, front brakes are offset different so it's not a bolt on and go thing
The 78-79 Comstar wheels were not tubeless.
Bead area is considerably different.
The 80-83 model 1100"s were tubeless but a change in the drive hub dictates the 80-83 final drive be used.
The rear gear case is not simply a bolt on.
The gear case is a four bolt to the swing arm unit.
The swing arm off the 1100 will not directly bolt on to the 1000.
The lower shock mounts are totally different, the right shock bolts directly to the drive case.
It's wider and longer.

Brakes are not the biggest issue.
Spacer/Bracket rear would get the back stopped
Up front nothing short of the entire 1100 fork assemble would be needed and as best as we can figure that would dictate the fabrication of a steering stem.

The fabrication involved is quite extensive on both ends.
I've looked into it in depth having owned both and having bare chassis at hand for measurements.
It can be done but it would be a serious project that would alter the look and feel of the original to the point I decided to seek other solutions.
It is a ongoing project that has been entertaining and informative with the roaming through most of the motorcycle salvage yards in the western U.S..

As it stands the Wing runs great so there is no real panic for a solution to a problem that has only showed up once in 100,000 plus miles.
I can fix a flat on the side of the road I'm just looking for a way to simplify the process.
Plug and Play so to speak.

Paul
Old March 11th, 2016   #16
LongRanger

I tried it on a new front tire, installed and ridden at high speed immediately after as per instructions. I never got rid of the vibration until I pulled the tire off, cleaned out the stuff and balanced it again with weights. Even if the stuff worked as advertised to balance the tire the cost is outrageous. Never again.

Also, the stuff was very fluid inside the tire leaving me to believe the puncture and flat prevention claim is suspect.
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #17
motornut

forget the tire sealer and different tubes for tubeless tires. Get a tire plugger tool and a small electric pump. The co 2 cartridges work also as long as the bead is tight when you load them. I have used the pump to help a couple in a jeep who had a blow out. PS, how many of us check the spare tire pressure regularly? Yes theirs was flat. Took a while to get the pressure up-but it did work.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #18
motornut

forget the tire sealer and different tubes for tubeless tires. Get a tire plugger tool and a small electric pump. The co 2 cartridges work also as long as the bead is tight when you load them. I have used the pump to help a couple in a jeep who had a blow out. PS, how many of us check the spare tire pressure regularly? Yes theirs was flat. Took a while to get the pressure up-but it did work. The biggest problem with a heavy bike is tire temp, tubes raise that a lot and tire sealer could work .....temporarily, but have you ever seen a pressurized can in the hot sun? It is impressive only once. you have to carry it somewhere.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #19
Paul st1300

78 and 79 wings did not have spokes. Some people ran tubeless but they where intended to be run with tubes. I have a 78 wing and have always run tubes. I have not been brave enough to try tube less. 1100 wing rim may work and they did not have spokes
STOC #8864
Paul st1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016   #20
Paul st1300

Over the years when I let someone else install the tires they always question me why I ran with tubes on the 78 wing.
STOC #8864
Paul st1300 is offline   Reply With Quote