ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old March 3rd, 2016   #1
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 88 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Tire Sealants - Ride-On

Ride-On Tire Sealant

Any one ever use this stuff on a street bike?
How about on a tube tire equipped street bike?
You know spokes and the like.

Work?
Not-Work?

Tell all, good,bad,ugly.

Paul
Old March 3rd, 2016   #2
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tire Sealants - Ride-On

Some tire shops won't work on tires with sealants.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016   #3
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 88 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Some tire shops won't work on tires with sealants.
I would not and if you did not tell be it was in the tires you were paying for the clean up of the tire machine.

This stuff looks to be somewhat different in it does not remain liquid but looks like more of a coating.

I'm looking for some way to "flat proof" a tube withing the tire.
If there is even such a thing.
The Michelin Mousse is not for street use, heat will eat.

Paul
Old March 3rd, 2016   #4
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Run flat tubes?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old March 4th, 2016   #5
echo
The sky is falling...

I brought up a mousse like inner tube replacement to the forum a couple of years ago to see if it could flat proof tube tires. But the forum seemed to say no even though it's an improvement on the Michilin product.

FAF will seal tubeless tires if they're leaking so you don't have to add air so often. My tires haven't required air all winter.

I never had a shop say a word about working on a tire with FAF in it.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016   #6
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

One of the main advantages of tubeless is safety, they are less likely to blow out and go flat instantly like tubed tyres.

I have heard lots of tales of additives going semi solid and causing balancing issues.

AFAIK the mousse ones are temporary rather than a permanent solution & for what its worth mine have lost no pressure at all ever with nothing at all added, I like Bridgestones, I have tried lots of different tyres over the years but I always seem to go back to them.
Old March 4th, 2016   #7
PaulRB
ST Guru

Spoke wheels do not lend themselves to a tubeless application well. BMW being the exception die to their spoke layout.
There have attempts to "seal" the spoke nipples as as far as I recall all have been problematic or out right failures.

What I'm trying to do is get to a roadside repair of a 40 year old motorcycle that has spoke wheels, tubes, and tube tires that does not require replacing a tube a tube on the shoulder of the road.

The Wings flat repair "kit" contains a 4.50/19 tube.
The 19" is carried to so it can be put in both front and rear.
The rear wheel is a 17' but to get it back to civilization a 19" can be stuffed in.
Some disassembly is required on the Wing because like the ST the muffler is in the way of removing the axle but unlike the ST removing the muffler is not really a option the entire exhaust system will need to be unbolted and lowered. I carry as part of the "kit" the four exhaust gaskets for the headers at the head.

The bottom line of a flat rear tire on the Wing is end of day.
You will spend the rest of the day just getting the bike off the road and into some place where you can deal with the problem.
The remoteness of the area dictates you deal with this as cell phone coverage is spotty or nonexistent.

The Michelin Mousse requires Michelin tires and is for off-road use only.
They will come apart at speeds above 80 due to heat.
It was developed for the extreme off-road, Baja 1000/Paris-Dakar and has a fairly long history of success with virtually no failures.

The "Some disassembly required" photo.
What you do not see in the photo is that to get the rear wheel out the front wheel must be removed.
The rear fender is in the way so it requires two scissor jacks, one on the final drive the other under the engine to raise and lower the rear of the bike to get the wheel in and out.
This is not really a option "on the road" so removing the exhaust system becomes necessary.

Having actually done a road side repair once I can tell you rule number one should be strictly adhered to.
Rule Number 1.
Do not bleed on the object.
The rest of the rules pretty much are out the window at that point.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Some Disassembly is Required 1.JPG (114.7 KB, 101 views)
Old March 4th, 2016   #8
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Could you source tubeless type wheels as an alternative?
Old March 4th, 2016   #9
ligito
Donators

Maybe a sat phone would be cheaper than all the grief.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old March 4th, 2016   #10
PaulRB
ST Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Could you source tubeless type wheels as an alternative?
No such critter.
Back in the day Lester Wheel made tubeless aluminum wheels but the rear was 15" instead of the 17" stock.

I have looked at lacing up BMW rims to the Honda hub but the spoke "bumps", whatever you call them where the nipple goes through the rim, are at the wrong angle and drilling is not an option.
No blanks, un-drilled, are not available.

The 80 model 1100 Wing had tubeless Comstar wheels but the drive flange had changed. The final drive housing will not fit the 1000 swingarm and the 1100 swingarm will not fit the 1000 chassis.
A look inside the final drive housing revels the gear case has a different bolt pattern and the gears themselves will not interchange.
78-79 Comstar wheels were not tubeless.

The last option looked into would not work for me.
It requires two swing arms, 1000 & 1100, be cut up and the flange from the 1100 be attached to the 1000 swingarm and the right lower shock mount be fabricated from scratch.
That would allow the 1100 gear case but the bottom shock mount changed from the 1000 to the 1100.
Serious modification would be required altering the entire look of the YellowWing. I don't like that option.

Paul