ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old June 22nd, 2015   #11
mcjsfoster

Default Re: Which Tire is Best for 2-Up Riding

Thank you all for your comments and experiences. As of now I'm leaning toward the Michelin PR4 GT. I'll let you know how they work out.

MCF
mcjsfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #12
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Keith,

Be careful with the Storms. The issue is that, being a dual-compound tire, the sides will wear faster than what one expects. I returned from a trip to find (to my horror) that I could see cords on the sidewalls. But, when I left that morning, the sidewalls looked fine. The distance was only about 600 miles.

I imagine that "Raven", the woman who had a catastrophic failure, probably experienced a similar situation but, wasn't as lucky as I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
If I recall correctly (can't find the exact thread) that was with the Storm 2 model, yes? And they have issued a new series that nobody has as yet reported problems with? (Though that may simply be because not many are using them?)

I'm still new enough to motorcycles that I'm riding the (Avon Storm) tires that were on the bike when I got it, and those are the only tires of which I have any actual personal experience.

Thus far, I have not had bad experiences BUT:
  • I've only been riding for 11 months and some of that was very limited short hops during the winter. Total mileage is probably in the neighborhood of 5K, a lot of which has been short hops (< 5 miles) to and from work.
  • I've only made one long ride. It was on mixed secondary roads (~800 miles) and interstates (~775 miles) over four days of riding. No problems that I could attribute to the tires on either type of road.
  • The only wet-surface riding I have done was on that trip, where I rode for three to four hours on wet roads. Being VERY cautious as a noob, I kept my speed down and did my best not to lean too far from vertical in corners, nor to push the envelope on how tight a turn I could manage at speed. I have NO desire to determine through experimentation where that limit lies.
  • I have not yet ridden two-up.

All my other riding has been short to medium distance daytime joyrides on dry roads with (mostly) good pavement. No problems under those conditions.

As my frame of reference is quite limited, I don't know how to gauge what the bike "should" feel and handle like, nor what differences to expect when changing tires. I'm probably a season or more away from being compelled by tire wear to change them and, unless something compelling happens in the meantime I'm not inclined to change now "just because".

I will state that the rear has a persistent slow loss of pressure (5-6 psi over a week if not topped up) but I have not looked into whether that is a result of a bad mounting job, leaky valve stem, or other mysterious ailment. I have checked and it's not due to FOD in the tire itself as far as I can tell.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #13
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Good luck, Garry.

BTW, I thought my tires would last the entire rally in 2001 also. They didn't.

Might want to have something arranged, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry in AZ View Post
I have had very good performance and life from Michelin PR3's and Dunlop Roadsmart II's. These are used on my rally bike, which is always loaded and has an aux fuel cell. I managed over 12,000 miles from a set of PR3's, and I just yesterday removed the Dunlops which had well over 9000 on them and were not worn out. (had at least another 3000 miles in them)
They were replaced by a set of the new PR4 GT's for the Iron Butt Rally. I expect the PR4 GT's to last the full rally. (11 days - 11,000+ miles)

Garry in AZ
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #14
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Very good to hear that one of our own will be in The Rally with an ST1300.

My personal experience with the PR4 GTs tells me the front will definitely make the distance. The rear... It should be close.

Good luck with the IBR. If we know who you are we can be pulling for you. There is always an excellent thread on the FJRforum about this event and I follow it closely.
Old June 22nd, 2015   #15
dduelin
Loquacious Member

The Avon tire failure should be regarded as purely speculative. The bike was heavily laden and late into day two of a coast to coast trip. The tire could have failed for a number of reasons none of which were investigated. The tire was quickly blamed without any proof other than "it delaminated" which could have been a manufacturing defect or from running hundreds of miles at a low pressure. Avon tires sure took a beating though.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #16
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I will not speculate on the Avon tires but unless something has changed recently, Avon still does not list a tire for the ST1300. They may make those sizes but they do not recommend it for the big Honda.
Old June 22nd, 2015   #17
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I will not speculate on the Avon tires but unless something has changed recently, Avon still does not list a tire for the ST1300. They may make those sizes but they do not recommend it for the big Honda.
Avon does list a fitment for the biggest Honda, the Goldwing, and they do list one for another big Honda, the ST1100. Up until 2006 they did list a 1300 fitment for AV55 & AV56 Storms. After the unfortunate fatal accidents that took the lives of two English officers the fitment disappeared. Although one or both were equipped with Avon Azarros and not the newer Storms it's my opinion that Avon did not want the liability exposure for a recommendation on a bike that quickly got a reputation for high speed instability. Avon is not alone. Bridgestone officially only recommends the ancient OE BT020s although owners have fitted BT 021s, 023s, and T30s since 2006.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #18
ibike2havefun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Keith,

Be careful with the Storms. The issue is that, being a dual-compound tire, the sides will wear faster than what one expects. I returned from a trip to find (to my horror) that I could see cords on the sidewalls. But, when I left that morning, the sidewalls looked fine. The distance was only about 600 miles.

I imagine that "Raven", the woman who had a catastrophic failure, probably experienced a similar situation but, wasn't as lucky as I was.
Thanks Joe.

The way I ride, the sides seldom make contact with the pavement but I'll continue to watch them to see how they are doing.

All the chatter has persuaded me to switch brands when the time comes, if for no other reason than to expand the breadth of my own personal experience. Nobody else can really tell you for certain what will work best for you, can they?
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #19
Redfish
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
All the chatter has persuaded me to switch brands when the time comes, if for no other reason than to expand the breadth of my own personal experience. Nobody else can really tell you for certain what will work best for you, can they?
Now THAT ^^^ is smart. That is exactly what you need to get out of this debate. Just because someone says "THIS tire is THE BEST" does not make it true for everyone.

Unless of course I say it. You should always listen to me.
Old June 22nd, 2015   #20
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 147 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Now THAT ^^^ is smart. That is exactly what you need to get out of this debate. Just because someone says "THIS tire is THE BEST" does not make it true for everyone.

Unless of course I say it. You should always listen to me.
Unless, of course, you don't.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote