ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old June 19th, 2015   #1
mcjsfoster

Default Which Tire is Best for 2-Up Riding

I am looking for a tire with good performance and good mileage when riding 2-up with luggage. We live in the Southwest, with hot roads and long straight highways. Twisties are great when I can find them. I'm looking at the new Avon Storm 3-D X-M, Pirelli Angel GT, Michelin PR4 GT compared to Metzler Z6 which I've had and liked. Just had the Metzler Z8 which wore out way too fast and developed a flat center after a few thousand miles.

Any suggestions and comments would be welcome.
mcjsfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Which Tire is Best for 2-Up Riding

This question and the 10 zillion variations of it has been asked and debated so many times that I am hesitant to answer. I sure hope you are not trolling.

Tires are individual preference. Road surfaces vary from region to region and often state to state. Average rainfall, average temperature, amount of curves all have an effect on tire life and traction.

I like the Michelin Pilot Road 3 better than anything else I ran on my ST1300. That is just my opinion and others will have their own.
Old June 19th, 2015   #3
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Which Tire is Best for 2-Up Riding

Agree about the Michelins, and if you are talking about an ST1300 be aware that Avon has no recommended fitment for the ST13. There has been at least one catastrophic Avon storm failure that caused a major crash. Her forum handle was "Raven".

-Jeff
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015   #4
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
This question and the 10 zillion variations of it has been asked and debated so many times that I am hesitant to answer. .
Me too, I currently have T30's on mine and they are superb, You could have a search here though there are loads of tire threads, one problem is keeping up to date with variants as time goes on.
Old June 20th, 2015   #5
echo
The sky is falling...

To me "whats the best tire for two up riding" means "what tire has the lowest failure rate heavily loaded"

Im guessing that would have to be what the OM says.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015   #6
ibike2havefun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
Agree about the Michelins, and if you are talking about an ST1300 be aware that Avon has no recommended fitment for the ST13. There has been at least one catastrophic Avon storm failure that caused a major crash. Her forum handle was "Raven".

-Jeff
If I recall correctly (can't find the exact thread) that was with the Storm 2 model, yes? And they have issued a new series that nobody has as yet reported problems with? (Though that may simply be because not many are using them?)

I'm still new enough to motorcycles that I'm riding the (Avon Storm) tires that were on the bike when I got it, and those are the only tires of which I have any actual personal experience.

Thus far, I have not had bad experiences BUT:
  • I've only been riding for 11 months and some of that was very limited short hops during the winter. Total mileage is probably in the neighborhood of 5K, a lot of which has been short hops (< 5 miles) to and from work.
  • I've only made one long ride. It was on mixed secondary roads (~800 miles) and interstates (~775 miles) over four days of riding. No problems that I could attribute to the tires on either type of road.
  • The only wet-surface riding I have done was on that trip, where I rode for three to four hours on wet roads. Being VERY cautious as a noob, I kept my speed down and did my best not to lean too far from vertical in corners, nor to push the envelope on how tight a turn I could manage at speed. I have NO desire to determine through experimentation where that limit lies.
  • I have not yet ridden two-up.

All my other riding has been short to medium distance daytime joyrides on dry roads with (mostly) good pavement. No problems under those conditions.

As my frame of reference is quite limited, I don't know how to gauge what the bike "should" feel and handle like, nor what differences to expect when changing tires. I'm probably a season or more away from being compelled by tire wear to change them and, unless something compelling happens in the meantime I'm not inclined to change now "just because".

I will state that the rear has a persistent slow loss of pressure (5-6 psi over a week if not topped up) but I have not looked into whether that is a result of a bad mounting job, leaky valve stem, or other mysterious ailment. I have checked and it's not due to FOD in the tire itself as far as I can tell.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015   #7
v4forever

I'm a Bridgestone fan, I like their heavy duty construction. I also pull a trailer, so I always look for a tire with a stiff sidewall.
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015   #8
roginoz

I've been getting over 10K on the Pilot Road 4s. The size that fits the ST1300 is the GT model, made for extra weight.
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350
roginoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015   #9
Garry in AZ

I have had very good performance and life from Michelin PR3's and Dunlop Roadsmart II's. These are used on my rally bike, which is always loaded and has an aux fuel cell. I managed over 12,000 miles from a set of PR3's, and I just yesterday removed the Dunlops which had well over 9000 on them and were not worn out. (had at least another 3000 miles in them)
They were replaced by a set of the new PR4 GT's for the Iron Butt Rally. I expect the PR4 GT's to last the full rally. (11 days - 11,000+ miles)

Garry in AZ

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015   #10
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry in AZ View Post
I have had very good performance and life from Michelin PR3's and Dunlop Roadsmart II's. These are used on my rally bike, which is always loaded and has an aux fuel cell. I managed over 12,000 miles from a set of PR3's, and I just yesterday removed the Dunlops which had well over 9000 on them and were not worn out. (had at least another 3000 miles in them)
They were replaced by a set of the new PR4 GT's for the Iron Butt Rally. I expect the PR4 GT's to last the full rally. (11 days - 11,000+ miles)

Garry in AZ
How about showing us your bike?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote