ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old March 3rd, 2015   #11
sculver

Default Re: Bridgestone BT023GT vs Bridgestone T30-GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinNH View Post
Information abounds on all four forums that I am active on comparing the T-30 to the 023, 021 and other brands of tires.
Yes, thank you. I did do searches and found some information but most was dated material. Some a few months old and others a few years old. I was looking for any updated and current experiences from riders or from some newer members who did not weigh in on earlier posts.

Steve
Old March 3rd, 2015   #12
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Bridgestone 023s and T30s last forever on the front of an ST1300. I have just about 12,000 miles on a 023GT right now. It's showing about 3/32" tread after starting at 5/32". To be fair it logged the first 6500 miles on a 50CC and back. I usually replace tires as a set but I had a 3500 mile 023GT rear I took off before the 50CC and I out it back on after the trip. I put the used 023 on to replace the rear T30 that went 10,000 miles. I have a set of T30s waiting in the garage.

These are my favorite ST tires (023s) but they are getting hard to find so I moved on to T30s. In my world they handle the best of the tires I've tried and with a little restraint give about 8000 miles out of a rear but the fronts can go 10k or more. I like the feedback and quick steering they provide. Great in the wet too. The T30s are the much the same.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208

Last edited by dduelin; March 3rd, 2015 at 03:57 PM.
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015   #13
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculver View Post
Yes, thank you. I did do searches and found some information but most was dated material. Some a few months old and others a few years old. I was looking for any updated and current experiences from riders or from some newer members who did not weigh in on earlier posts.

Steve
And there is the rub, I never put a set of tires on a bike that made it feel worse, all new tyres feel lovely as they are nice and round, no scalloping or squaring off, by the time they have been scrubbed in it's virtually impossible to remember how the previous ones felt. I think I personally feel that cheap tyres are harder, therefore you are trading grip against longevity and for a few quid I'd take peace of mind every time.
If I was ragging the bike round a track every day I would feel comfortable giving genuine recommendations about tyres but riding four different bikes in varying weathers and different places means any feelings I have about tyres 5k miles ago are going to be relatively inaccurate.
Old March 10th, 2015   #14
sculver

Finally, the weather in Omaha this last weekend was decent enough for a long ride. The previous owner had a Bridgestone Battlax BT45R 120/80-18 (62H) (a rear tire) installed on the front rotating in reverse. From the limited riding I did on this tire I can't say it handled bad but I thought the tire was too large and after installing the STuff STopper I got from Larry the clearance was not adequate.

I did order the Bridgestone T30-GT in 120/70-ZR18 and had it installed last Friday. With about 100 of riding this weekend I could tell there was a difference and I think the T30 steered much better and seemed to handle very well. Mind you I wasn't out dragging a knee as I wanted to break-in or scuff the tire a little bit.

Overall, I'm glad I got the T30. It seems to be a sold tire and a great price ($109.00 + free shipping) from http://www.chaparral-racing.com/.

Thanks for all the advice and input. Not to start a discussion or a big argument, but the previous owner had gone to the dark side and has a Hankook Ventus V12 EVO 205/50ZR-17 (93Y) car tire mounted on the rear. So far, I don't mind riding with this tire. It seems to requires a bit more input to initiate a turn but once in teh lean it handles fine and transition back to vertical with no problems. Riding vertical there is no difference that I can tell. I'll keep this tire for a while and see how I like it. If I decide to change to a MC tire I will probably by the Bridgestone T-30 rear tire to go with the front. I've read good things about the rear T-30 as well.

Steve

Last edited by sculver; March 10th, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
sculver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015   #15
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm. So you removed an incorrectly sized, bias ply, rear tire and put on the correctly sized, radial, front tire and found that the bike "steered much better and seemed to handle very well."

If you achieved that much good with the front just imagine what goodness could come from removing that oversized car tire and putting on a correctly sized motorcycle tire. Just sayin'...
Old March 11th, 2015   #16
sculver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Hmmm. So you removed an incorrectly sized, bias ply, rear tire and put on the correctly sized, radial, front tire and found that the bike "steered much better and seemed to handle very well."

If you achieved that much good with the front just imagine what goodness could come from removing that oversized car tire and putting on a correctly sized motorcycle tire. Just sayin'...
Thanks Redfish. But you've got to remember, this is my first ST1300 so I have no prior riding experience on this bike. Whether the rear tire being put on the front is good or bad is irrelevant. I had nothing to compare to. So when I got the T30 front tire put on I was comparing that to the Bridgestone Battlax BT45R, the only tire I'd ridden on the ST1300. For all I knew it could have ridden worse!

The CT on back is the same situation. I've never ridden a ST1300, or any other bike for that matter, with a CT on the rear. So far my take is it's not that bad. It's rides great when vertical and only requires a little more effort to push her into a lean. Once in the lean she tracks the same as a MC tire. The only thing I "feel" that's different is a slight transition right at the beginning of going into a lean, very slight.

Who knows. I may put a MC tire back on the rear but I don't mind riding her the way she is now. Soon, I hope to put a hitch on her and pull the trailer I bought. Have a great night.

Steve
Old March 19th, 2015   #17
gashworth5

Hello Gentlemen.

I'm new to the forum and recently obtained my first ST1300. I owned an ST1100 several years ago and enjoyed it very much. Question: Besides the specified sizes for front and rear in the manual, are there any variants of the T30-GT? When ordering it is simply T30-GT 120/70ZR18 for the front and 170/60ZR17 for the rear? thanks for your help!
gashworth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015   #18
sculver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashworth5 View Post
Hello Gentlemen.

I'm new to the forum and recently obtained my first ST1300. I owned an ST1100 several years ago and enjoyed it very much. Question: Besides the specified sizes for front and rear in the manual, are there any variants of the T30-GT? When ordering it is simply T30-GT 120/70ZR18 for the front and 170/60ZR17 for the rear? thanks for your help!
Welcome to the forums. Great advice from some great ST riders. As a new ST owner myself I'd be lost without their input.

I believe you have it right. The only thing I found when recently looking for a new front tire was the GT variation. From what I could tell the GT version is for heavier touring bikes like the ST1300. Now that the weather broke I've had the chance to ride a couple hundred miles on my Bridgestone T30-GT front tire and can say the ride and handling is outstanding. I even had a passenger on the other night and the tire still handled great even with the extra weight. Short answer, if I had to buy one again I would!

Enjoy your new ST1300 and ride safe!

Best regards,

Steve Culver
Old March 19th, 2015   #19
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashworth5 View Post
Hello Gentlemen.

The GT version of the rear 170/60ZR-17 is most important. It's not so important on the front. The Bridgestones are long wearing front tires even in a non-GT. They stick too, there is no trade off for the mileage.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015   #20
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Evidently, not this one. http://www.leatherup.com/p/Bridgesto...e/2304115.html

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote