ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old September 22nd, 2014   #1
SinNH
Donators

Default Caliper rebuilt kits--where ?

After searching for a kit for the rear caliper (2006) all I come up with is a seal kit without the three pistons, which I need.
Any source for a total rebuild kit, or do we have to buy the pistons individually ?
I think I want to stay with Honda products on this project.

"The right to keep and bear arms is the one right that allows rights to exist at all."
SinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014   #2
v4forever

Default Re: Caliper rebuilt kits--where ?

Thinking you have to buy them individually.
Here is the part numbers and quantity for an 2006 ST1300 A
Qty 2 #8 PISTON (22X39) 43207-MAJ-G41 $15.41
Qty 1 #4 PISTON A, L. 43107-MCS-G01 $16.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (128.5 KB, 94 views)
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014   #3
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 87 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Just curious.
What has happened that a 06 model needs new caliper pistons?

I don't know that I have ever seen a rebuild kit that included the pistons.
Aftermarket hard part supply giant K&L sold pistons and seals but they were separate kits and I don't recall the 1300 as being offered.
Although of reasonable quality the K&L kits were off on measurement just enough as they could be a issue in some cases.
In my opinion the should be viewed as a last resort item for those cases that OEM is no longer available.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; September 23rd, 2014 at 02:06 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014   #4
SinNH
Donators

V4, thanks for the parts pic and info.
Paul, yesterday when cleaning the pistons before the new pads I couldn't really get off all the actual rust with the bicycle cleaning brushes and brake cleaner and/or brake fluid. And now the pistons won't retract easily with the new pads in, moderate drag on disc after using brakes.
So, I figured next step is caliper rebuild, and being in there might as well replace the pistons too because I have a feeling they will be pitted beyond what a polishing will fix.
Off base ?
Thanks all.

"The right to keep and bear arms is the one right that allows rights to exist at all."
Old September 23rd, 2014   #5
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

The pistons need to be pretty badly pitted to effect the performance. Whilst I cant specifically comment on ST's through lack of experience I have stripped quite a few Honda's. Basically there are two seals, the outer is a dirt seal stopping grime getting to the inner fluid seal. Now shoving dirty pistons into the caliper is going to push grime into the outer seal and this is usually the cause of pistons sticking. When I have had them apart there's usually a white fluffy crud that has developed in the groove the outer seal sits in, this causes the seal to sit prouder than it should and this in turn stiffens the pistons movement.
The pitting on the pistons will be predominantly on the outer bit, the rest is more protected when the pads are new as it sits further in the caliper, I would think you'd get away with polishing them with wire wool but obviously that wont always be the case.
Old September 23rd, 2014   #6
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 87 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Not off base at all.

It has been my experience that pitted pistons can not be repaired and they will be a continual problem.

FWIW
The MAJ pistons (Qty 2 #8 PISTON (22X39) 43207-MAJ-G41 $15.41)
are also used in the 01-03 CBR900RR model.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; September 23rd, 2014 at 05:20 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014   #7
SinNH
Donators

Great board, thanks Rob and Paul!
I guess I'll just buy the seal kit as see how things look when the caliper is on the bench and order the pistons then if need be, usually from Partzilla about 3/4 days away, faster with the bandit but more expensive.

Old September 23rd, 2014   #8
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I've cleaned up rusted caliper pistons using 0000 steel wool applied in a circular manner around the piston and not longitudinally, thinking the latter might make leakage paths. So far I've never had a brake fluid leak or stuck piston doing this.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014   #9
SinNH
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
I've cleaned up rusted caliper pistons using 0000 steel wool applied in a circular manner around the piston and not longitudinally, thinking the latter might make leakage paths. So far I've never had a brake fluid leak or stuck piston doing this.
hey Jeff, thanks for the input, that is what I'm going to eventually do too, will try Scotch Brite pads first to see what happens.
Beautiful late summer weather here now, must ride, will tackle caliper on first rain day.
Steve

Old September 29th, 2014   #10
SinNH
Donators

Success. Well about 4 in the afternoon Saturday, I jumped on the rear caliper clean, didn't put the bike on the lift just worked on the floor (mistake!). In over forty years of working on bikes, I have never had such a time removing the thin brown crud on the pistons. Attacking one at a time starting with the frontmost, caliper firmly attached through the holes that the muffler mounts with zip ties, sitting Indian style under the fender, using lacquer thinner and Scotch brite pads, finished around 9:30!
Mounted a new PR 3 too in the process.
And for those who wonder about rear rotor temp, yesterday with ambient temp around 60* F, I coasted to a stop from about 65 mph three times and checked temp in a couple places with an infrared thermometer which was always right about 74* F. Cool running regardless of engine/exhaust heat I think.
I am surmising that the the unique crud built up on the pistons is baked on from hard usage of the binders to slow the mighty ST, man that stuff came off hard.
Pilot Road 3 feel great.