ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old August 24th, 2014   #21
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: SMC - Upgraded? SMC

You mentioned this:

http://www.kaila.net/tl125/tl125partcode.html

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014   #22
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

This site has some merit.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-st1300_model1252/

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015   #23
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

So, can nobody laugh please about the condition of this SMC, apart from the total neglect it shows the small hole and its consequences of becoming blocked. It's an 06 UK ST1300. The drain hole seen feeds directly to the lowest point the outer rubber boot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1201[1].jpg (30.6 KB, 91 views)
Old April 22nd, 2015   #24
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
So, can nobody laugh please about the condition of this SMC, apart from the total neglect it shows the small hole and its consequences of becoming blocked. It's an 06 UK ST1300. The drain hole seen feeds directly to the lowest point the outer rubber boot.
I take it the reason you pulled the SMC was because of dragging rear brakes??

After having had to replace mine a couple of years ago, I occasionally swab the weep hole with a pipe cleaner to make sure it's obstruction free.

Last edited by Mick; April 22nd, 2015 at 08:42 AM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015   #25
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I take it the reason you pulled the SMC was because of dragging rear brakes??

After having had to replace mine a couple of years ago, I occasionally swab the weep hole with a pipe cleaner to make sure it's obstruction free.
Actually it was the front right disc that was running hottest that I noticed first, I changed the front pads and felt around after a few short runs. After changing the caliper seals on the front then I noticed them all dragging, I'm not sure if bleeding the brakes finally jammed the SMC but the final symptom was the left hand calliper flopping on its pivot freely as the plunger had jammed fully in. I actually thought it had no fluid in it flopped so freely.
Old April 22nd, 2015   #26
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Actually it was the front right disc that was running hottest that I noticed first, I changed the front pads and felt around after a few short runs. After changing the caliper seals on the front then I noticed them all dragging, I'm not sure if bleeding the brakes finally jammed the SMC but the final symptom was the left hand calliper flopping on its pivot freely as the plunger had jammed fully in. I actually thought it had no fluid in it flopped so freely.

Welcome to the club of SMC replacement veterans. I replaced the entire assembly rather than going the rebuild kit route. The problem with a rebuild is if you install it and there is bad pitting from rust in the cylinder, you've just wasted your money. The full assembly
is only about $120 through ServiceHonda.com.

Old April 28th, 2015   #27
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I discovered my bad SMC a few days after I bought it (the wheel took some effort to turn by hand and would only spin about a 1/2 revolution + or - when flicked with my foot). I got in a hurry when I picked it up in Lubbock and didn't spin the rear wheel to check for a bad SMC .
So is there some guidance for how far the front and rear wheels should spin with out brakes applied?

I'm happy to go with best guesses if not ...
Old May 2nd, 2015   #28
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
So is there some guidance for how far the front and rear wheels should spin with out brakes applied?

I'm happy to go with best guesses if not ...

Sorry for the late reply.

From everything I've read (and experienced), you should be able to get 1 1/2 turns or more out of the rear tire if all is OK. If it is 1 or under there is a problem. Before I changed out my SMC I could only get about 1/2 to 2/3 turn. After a new SMC was installed, I could get 1 1/2+. Can't say about the front because it was not an issue but it should not be affected. See the linked brake system diagram HERE in post #6.

Last edited by Mick; May 2nd, 2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old May 10th, 2015   #29
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

So here's a pic of the SMC kit Honda supplied me with. In answer to the question how free should the piston be with no fluid the answer is free enough to pop back out. The new one is brass in colour and the seals seem a little lighter and smaller but that may be due to someone using a mineral oil and causing them to swell.

As for spinning, I will agree with Mick's post above, with the new kit fitted there is no extra drag on the rear wheel than there was with no pads fitted, I reckon with a good spin it would go around twice.

As for the original point of this thread, I noticed when I had it together but with no fluid in that the silicone grease virtually sealed the top boot in place, with this and actuating the piston I could hear the drain hole sucking in and blowing out, I wonder if the upgrade is a slightly larger drain to stop it hydraulicing in wet conditions.

Lastly one thing I did learn playing with the brakes so often was just how useful duct tape really is, take off the crash protector, remove the 3 fairing bolts with the two screws in the glove box and bleeding the system doesn't have to be such a pain in the butt, you can just get to the PCV valve to bleed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1371[1].jpg (37.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1374[1].jpg (68.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1375[1].jpg (31.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Rob2m; May 10th, 2015 at 10:23 AM.
Rob2m is offline   Reply With Quote