ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Brakes

Old August 20th, 2014   #1
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default SMC - Upgraded? SMC

Has anyone actually changed the Bracket Sub-Assy, L.FT which is actually the secondary master cylinder master cylinder that is part of the bracket?

If so what were the physical changes between the old bracket and the new?
I understand it was in draining water but what was the actual change?
Photos?
Is this change something that can be retrofitted?
Simple as a hole drilled? Notch?
New or different Boot? Circlip?

BTW
The Joint Set, Brake Rod 45630-MBG-026 is on backorder.
Expected date of release 8/22/14

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014   #2
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: SMC - Upgraded? SMC

I believe it was a modded boot.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I will assume the phrase "I believe" means you have no actual experience and have not "actually changed" a SMC as the question actually asks.

Actually my next question should be Why did I waste my time?

Paul
Old August 20th, 2014   #4
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 151 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Play nice, kids.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014   #5
dduelin
Loquacious Member

I did not replace mine....but from what I have seen the difference is the drain on the bottom of the outer SMC bore that could retain water due to the upward tilt of the SMC. The original design has a small hole on the bottom of the bore next to the circlip retention groove. The revised design is a gap or slot in the bore from the outer edge down to where the small hole was. The hole might clog easier with road debris/dirt although mine never has. OTOH I perform the fluid change every 12,000 miles and examine under the boot every service.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014   #6
PaulRB
The Grouch

Thanks Dave that is the information I was looking for.
Brake fluid is cheap I change it often. I keep the system clean and regularly inspect for water intrusion.
I'm not having a problem simple preventive maintenance.

Paul
Old August 21st, 2014   #7
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Has anyone actually changed the Bracket Sub-Assy, L.FT which is actually the secondary master cylinder master cylinder that is part of the bracket?

If so what were the physical changes between the old bracket and the new?I understand it was in draining water but what was the actual change?
Photos?
Is this change something that can be retrofitted?
Simple as a hole drilled? Notch?
New or different Boot? Circlip?

When I orderd a new SMC/Bracket assembly a couple of years ago for my 2005 ST from either Ron Ayers or Service Honda (don't remember which), I got the exact same part that was coming off my bike. Below are some pics of the two. Notice that the one I received still had the drainage hole as opposed to the slot that drains in the '08 and newer. I do not know whether the two are interchangeable. There were several changes made to the '08 front brakes, the SMC being only one. From what I've read on STO, the calipers and the pads are also different. There were also some minor internal changes to the SMC itself:

This is the original SMC Assembly that came off my '05 ST. Notice the small drain hole on the far upper right:

And here is the replacement SMC assembly that I put on my ST in 2012 or 13. Note that it is not the new & improved model SMC seen on the '08 and newer (which has no hole but a slot). Possible that there were some old SMC's still in inventory which would explain how I got an "old" one. It's also possible that I received the old model because the new & old are not interchangeable on ST's previous to the 2008 model:

Last edited by Mick; August 22nd, 2014 at 05:21 AM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014   #8
chaissos
Donators

Well, I have a '12 model, and if anyone's close to me with a pre-08 model, I'm willing to do some experimenting to see if they are in fact interchangeable.

Visually, the part looks identical (apart from the "slot"). Even the protruding drain hole portion of the older one is still there, it's just filled in on mine. That slot appears like something you could easily mod with a dremel. I actually had to look to find it, as it's not in exactly the same location. I've never paid attention to it before, so I was expecting a wallowed out hole, more or less.

Last edited by chaissos; August 22nd, 2014 at 04:37 AM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014   #9
echo
The sky is falling...

Yet another advantage of the ST11 over the ST13! No need to worry about the SMC locking the rear brake on in the middle of the road so you can get rear ended by another motorist or in a curve so you high side!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014   #10
PaulRB
The Grouch

For those that have actually posted help I thank you.

As far as I can tell the actual Piston Set, the rebuild "kit", has only had a change in the last three of it's part number. In the past this has been something as simple as a change in manufacture, Honda has a new vendor. Superseded parts are always shown as a change in the last three, G01 to G04. This particular part started out as a G01 in 2003 by 2007 it was a G03 and today it carries a G04 last three. In the past if there has been a actual function change in the part is is issued a new part number, you can see these of some of the on-line parts sellers as they will have two lines for the same part the only difference being the number. The Honda parts system always uses the latest superseded number when the dealer orders the part.

As I said I'm not having a problem with the SMC this is all in preparation for preventive maintenance because this fall/winter schedule of events will be the calipers in hand completely dissembled and thoroughly cleaned. I have not found water intrusion a problem in the past but if I do I will be taking the necessary action to insure water drains off in a proper manner. Having the caliper in hand will certainly point me in the direction of needed action.

Thanks Guys
Paul