ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old August 8th, 2014   #21
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Re: Tyre size

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPeake View Post
Basically, in the UK, if you have modified the bike in any way from the standard bike, then you are obliged to disclose it when entering into an insurance contact. If you have, for example, had an expensive paint job done, then your insurance company would like to know about it or else it will not be covered. As for tyre sizes, the word 'slightly' is erroneous. It's black or white. Is it the correct size and specification or not. Yes or no. Of course, many UK bikers do not disclose, and may well get away with it. I much prefer to be scrupulously honest and know that everything is covered.
I guess the comment I should have made is that I've actually never been asked about modifications when insuring a bike.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014   #22
Panfan

Well after reading all the replies and much thought I have decided that it would be best to bite the bullet and have one shipped to me from the UK (cheapest shipping) I have come to the conclusion with all the advise that the geometrics of the bike are important and the extra cash will be worth it. thanks to everyone for the help.
Panfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014   #23
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 109 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I applaud that decision.

MY OPINION!!!

While I am aggravated that Honda chose these tire sizes and I understand, appreciate, and support everyone's choice to "upsize", "Darkside" or whatever, I have always run the exact recommended size tire the manufacturer called for.

If you install a wider tire on the relatively narrow rim of the ST1300 you change the profile, the footprint of the tread pattern. At some point this lessens the amount of tire in contact with the road. It has to. Of course there may be points during the leaning process that has more tire in contact with the road. In any case, you have changed the bike's handling characteristics. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on YOU! Not anyone else's "Expert" opinion.

I support and even encourage those who experiment with different tires, tire sizes and even car tires in order to customize THEIR motorcycles to suit their needs. I am always interested in talking to Darksiders to see what they think and feel about their car tires. I hope they are helping push the manufacturers to build better motorcycle tires. I applaud them for their courage and their out of the box thinking. I hope they are as happy with their choices as I am with mine.

Hugs and kisses!
Old August 9th, 2014   #24
chaissos
Donators

We had a conversation about this a while ago, if I'm not mistaken - although it may have been on another forum. I mentioned that the insurance may be invalidated if you're not running the required tires.

I think the example given was a vehicle that required Z-rated tires (186 mph) per manufacturer specs, but since you only ever go the speed limit (70 max) a normal S-rated tire (112 mph limit) should be sufficient.

I was beat down in the discussion. However, I wasn't dis-proven. I've had conversations with car insurance people (in the UK) and they told me flat out that if the car required Z-rated tires, and you ran anything else, they wouldn't cover an accident, regardless of speed. I've not had those discussions with any agents here in the US.
Old August 12th, 2014   #25
horst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfan View Post
... the best I can get is180/55 - my question being is it safe to use this size and would it have a negative on the handling?

yes yes yes .... on my 2nd 180 tyre and they are just fine, wearing well - just make sure you get the "C" or whatever (more tread) becasue the sport only versions will wear out faster .... but size wise they are very good

and no .... don't go to the darrrk sssside .....
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014   #26
Blue One

Quote:
Originally Posted by horst View Post
yes yes yes .... on my 2nd 180 tyre and they are just fine, wearing well - just make sure you get the "C" or whatever (more tread) becasue the sport only versions will wear out faster .... but size wise they are very good

and no .... don't go to the darrrk sssside .....
no ,no, no. Re read post # 11 and stay away from the 180 sized tire. Stay with stock.
Old August 16th, 2014   #27
Superzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPeake View Post
Hi Panfan, long time no see! I don't know what the insurance situation is in SA, and this is an issue that the majority of my USA friends either ignore or isn't actually an issue for them, but what would your insurance company say if they knew you were fitting the wrong tyre to the back wheel, because that is what you are actually proposing. In the UK, fitting a tyre of the wrong size or type would invalidate the insurance. There is a standard question our our insurance policies which asks if we have made any modifications to the bike/car and we are obliged to disclose. The insurance company then takes a view on whether or not they want to increase the premium or refuse to insure or take no action because the modification either has no effect or has a positive effect. So I had to declare that I had reflective 'swooshes' stuck on the fairing and the insurance company took the view that they were a safety feature that had a positive benefit in accident prevention, so there was no financial penalty. On the other hand if I had said "I couldn't get the correct size back tyre so I fitted one that is a different (i.e. wrong) size", then they would almost certainly have declined to insure me.
Something to think about and check on (or ignore ;-)
Dick
In the US it's only if the tire is a factor in the insurance claim. If someone tailends you at a light, it wouldn't matter what size tire you had on there.
Superzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014   #28
horst

I like the way the big fat 180 feels

handling may be a bit different - but so many tires to choose from .... and hey stay away from the Dark Side eh
horst is offline   Reply With Quote