ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting

Tires, Tire Mounting & Demounting Do you have a favorite set of tires? Tell us about them here.

Old August 7th, 2014   #1
Panfan

Default Tyre size

Greetings to all. i need some advise from the experts. I need to replace my tyres on my ST1300 and want to try the PR4's .My problem is in South Africa for some unknown reason we cannot get the rear tyre in the correct size, the best I can get is180/55 my question being is it safe to use this size and would it have a negative on the handling?
Panfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tyre size

I never have but I have every confidence that it would work. I know that some of our forum members run that size by choice. I have always thought that if I had a tire failure and had to get home I would be able to find a 180/55 easier than the 170/60.

Without kicking an anthill... Keep in mind that there are folks running the 205 width car tire. If that will work I am certain the 180 width motorcycle tire will work as well.
Old August 7th, 2014   #3
Poppi
Donators

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 - 205/50-17

Works perfectly!

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014   #4
Wjbertrand
ST guru

It'll fit, the sidewall is slightly shorter; 99mm vs. 102 mm for the 170/60 size, but that seems insignificant to me. The wider foot print may slow down steering response a bit, again probably not significantly. The downside is if you ride two-up and loaded the load rating is lower than the factory size and as that size is generally intended for sportsbikes, it may be formed from a softer compound and wear a bit faster.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014   #5
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 123 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Hi Panfan, long time no see! I don't know what the insurance situation is in SA, and this is an issue that the majority of my USA friends either ignore or isn't actually an issue for them, but what would your insurance company say if they knew you were fitting the wrong tyre to the back wheel, because that is what you are actually proposing. In the UK, fitting a tyre of the wrong size or type would invalidate the insurance. There is a standard question our our insurance policies which asks if we have made any modifications to the bike/car and we are obliged to disclose. The insurance company then takes a view on whether or not they want to increase the premium or refuse to insure or take no action because the modification either has no effect or has a positive effect. So I had to declare that I had reflective 'swooshes' stuck on the fairing and the insurance company took the view that they were a safety feature that had a positive benefit in accident prevention, so there was no financial penalty. On the other hand if I had said "I couldn't get the correct size back tyre so I fitted one that is a different (i.e. wrong) size", then they would almost certainly have declined to insure me.
Something to think about and check on (or ignore ;-)
Dick
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014   #6
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 88 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Isn't 180/55 the FJR's rear tire size?

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014   #7
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Isn't 180/55 the FJR's rear tire size?

Paul
Yes, sir. As usual, you are correct.

I have always considered it an aggravation that Honda went with oddball tire sizes on the ST. With the FJR one can always find a set of tires to get home in a pinch. Even if you have to buy sport bike rubber that will only last 3k miles, you can still get home.
Old August 7th, 2014   #8
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 88 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

It is not only a odd size but the narrowest wheel of all the current sport touring equipment.
With most at 5.5 the 5 inch ST wheel further thins out the field.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014   #9
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 123 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Yes, sir. As usual, you are correct.

I have always considered it an aggravation that Honda went with oddball tire sizes on the ST...
In the UK and Europe, where the ST1300 is still selling well, the tyre size doesn't seem to be that oddball and I have never had any difficulty in sourcing the correct size and spec tyre. I can make a phone call at 10am, and the tyre will be in stock by 3pm, if one is not already on the rack. Last time I had a puncture, the tyre was plugged as a 'Get you outa here' solution and the tyre was then replaced on arrival at the nearest dealer, with no drama.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014   #10
Redfish
Donators

I have always been able to "order" the tire. No one locally has them in stock. Ever.

The rear tire size seems to be unique to the ST while I have only found one other bike that uses the 18 inch front tire. The ST1300 is not a popular bike in this country.

Now if I wanted to get a tire for a Harley Davidson...

It is an aggravation that was completely unnecessary. Honda could have and should have done better. It seems like Honda does some things just because they can, not because it is best for their customers.